Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Fenders for Cannondale t800

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 07:40 PM
Dar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, The bike doesn't seem to have standared fender connections in the rear. Is there a certain fender I should buy for my bike or do I just need to attach it differently? If you have a Cannondale t800 could you recommend a good fender that works..
Old 12-20-06, 04:28 AM
Slowpoach

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Northwood tandem, 1970s Gitane fixxed 45x16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The T800 has single eyelets at the back and has a mounting point on the seatstay wishbone thingie. You need to attach the mudguards to the same eyelet the rack is attached to. I can't get it to work with the rack right against the frame, I have to put the mudguard stays between the rack and the frame eyelet.

My SKS mudguards fit fine, as should any other brand with standard fittings. I am a little worried that with a really heavy load the bolt holding everything on might snap, as more of the bolt protrudes and the weight is carried further along the bolt, giving the weight more leverage. I might try putting the mudguards on the inside of the frame to see if this works. It would require a locking nut on one side, and I'm not sure about clearances.

The other thing you could try, if you don't mind the "hobo chic" look (nice term mentioned here recently!), is some coroplast or plastic cable tied to the rack and the frame. www.mile43.com/peterson/FendForYourself.html has an example - you could probably make it neater on the back.