Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: victoria, bc
Bikes: Kona Blast (main commuter cycle), Raleigh 20, Giant Revive, Burley Solo trailer
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cycling in Poultney/Rutland Vermont area?
I'm not sure where the best place to put this post is, but I'll try here first. If this isn't the right forum, please feel free to move it where it needs to be.
I'm going to be in Vermont in mid-May and I'm looking for a little information on cycling in the area around this area of Vermont. I've never been to Vermont... but where ever I go, I like to do a little biking. I've called the Chamber of Commerce for Poultney (where I'll likely be staying) but they really can't tell me much about cycling in the area. I've got a laundry list, but if someone would please be so kind as to give me some leads, I'd really appreciate it.
- I'm traveling light, so I'll need to rent/buy (inexpensive) bike. Any info for good shops in the area would be helpful. Even if someone is *IN* the area and might have an extra bike to loan/rent to a really nice guy who treats bikes like gold.
- Routes, trestles, trails... is there a cycling coalition in the area? What's a must-see?
- Bike accessible camping. I'd like to spend at least one night out that I cycle to.
- (VERY OFF TOPIC) Has anyone ever Canoed one Lake St. Catherine? I'm a paddler... it would be stellar to find out a little bit about conditions on this lake. The parks web page is not good.
- (VERY OFF TOPIC) Birdwatching?
Okay... I think that's just about it. I'm also looking for a place to stay, but that's not as hard... I'm just trying to go on a dime.
Thanks again, in advance, for any and all advice.