Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Thorn Sherpa

  1. #1
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thorn Sherpa

    I have wanted a Thorn for a while, but the cost and the hassle of getting it from the UK have dissuaded me from making it happen. Eleanor, my Baja touring partner, was riding a Thorn Sherpa and she demonstrated it was a very capable bike. We ran into a guy riding a Thorn tandem (solo picking up passengers on the way!). I took this as a sign that the Universe was telling me now was the time to get a Thorn - so I did.

    I put a pic on my rando blog: http://thelazyrandonneur.blogspot.co...rn-sherpa.html

    Here are the build details:

    Thorn Sherpa 535L on Stealth Black
    - 9 spd dura ace barcons
    - LX front & rear der
    - front wheel 32H LX hub w/ mavic X221 rim
    - back wheel 32H LX hub w/ mavic X618 rim
    - schwalbe marathon XR 26 x 1.75 tires
    - deore cranks (42-32-22) soon to be (42-36-22)
    - Time ATAC control-Z pedals
    - 11-32 XT cassette
    - SRAM PC991 chain
    - deore V-brakes w/ koolstop salmon pads
    - dia compe 287V brake levers
    - Salsa 42cm short 'n shallow bars
    - Salsa 110m moto ace stem 115 deg (not installed yet)
    - Salsa Shaft seat post
    - Selle Anatomica Titanico saddle
    - Old Man Mountain cold springs front rack
    - Tubus cargo rear rack

    The bike is pretty rugged. Compared to my Surly LHT it is definitely more of a mountain bike and I built it with a long tour through South America and points beyond in mind. Off paved roads and away from North America 26" wheels make more sense than 700c.

    The frame exudes quality and the multitude of brazeons show that someone was thinking when they designed this frame. It was definitely worth the expense and trouble to import. The folks at Thorn were very helpful and made the whole process easy.

    When I get the stem in I'll finalize the bar position and cut the steerer accordingly. I'll post more when I have a few hundred KMs under my belt.

    Patagonia here I come...=-)
    Last edited by vik; 01-27-07 at 04:13 PM.
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  2. #2
    Beer and nachos today!
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Treaty Seven
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Peloton, Schwinn Prelude SS, Specialized Sequoia
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice ride!

    I've been thinking of picking up a Thorn too... if you don't mind my asking, how much did shipping set you back?

    And please post photos of your exploits in Patagonia! I need more motivation

  3. #3
    George Krpan
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Westlake Village, California
    Posts
    1,072
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A most handsome machine. I like the color with the flat finish. The Deore crank is good looking with its black big chainring.
    I was on the Thorn site not long ago and it seemed to me that they favored, or favoured, the 26" wheel touring bike. I think it makes a lot of sense. Lighter, stronger wheels giving lower gearing with a huge choice of tires.
    Although I've heard that the Dia Compe 287v levers work with v-brakes, I haven't heard someone's personal account about this combination. Please let us know.
    And, of course, your impression of the Selle Anatomica Titanico saddle.

  4. #4
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by illdoittomorrow
    Nice ride!

    I've been thinking of picking up a Thorn too... if you don't mind my asking, how much did shipping set you back?

    And please post photos of your exploits in Patagonia! I need more motivation
    Thanks - I am very pleased with how it turned out. I'll have to check, but I think it was 35 British pounds. I got more back from the VAT refund than it cost to ship the frame. Patagonia won't be till 2008, but I will definitely be posting a blog.
    Last edited by vik; 01-27-07 at 08:52 PM.
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  5. #5
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoKrpan
    A most handsome machine. I like the color with the flat finish. The Deore crank is good looking with its black big chainring.
    I was on the Thorn site not long ago and it seemed to me that they favored, or favoured, the 26" wheel touring bike. I think it makes a lot of sense. Lighter, stronger wheels giving lower gearing with a huge choice of tires.
    Although I've heard that the Dia Compe 287v levers work with v-brakes, I haven't heard someone's personal account about this combination. Please let us know.
    And, of course, your impression of the Selle Anatomica Titanico saddle.
    I have the 287's and Vs on my LHT that I recently used in Baja - they work great. Well enough that I have duplicated the setup on the Thorn. The finish is awesome - if I had a custom frame made I would spec the same matte finish. The 26" wheel is a better choice if you are traveling poorly paved or dirt roads and anywhere other than North America/Europe. In almost the whole rest of the world the 26" wheel is ubiquitous.

    If I was going to ride across Canada I'd use the LHT - its a bit faster, but as soon as you cross into Mexico and points South the Thorn makes the most sense.

    I am hopeful the Selle Anatomica saddle will be even more comfortable than the Brooks on my LHT, but only time will tell.
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    '85 Nishiki Tri-A, early '90's Nishiki Tange Prestige, '84 Trek 610, mid-'80's Miele (unknown), '72 all chrome Raleigh International, '81 Trek 412, 84 Specialized StumpJumper
    Posts
    186
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bike. I'm curious why you chose what appears to be a very small frame size for your height--given the seat and steerer tube lengths.
    Last edited by russian fighter; 01-27-07 at 11:51 PM.

  7. #7
    hell's angels h/q e3st ny brunop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    boston area/morningside heights manhattan
    My Bikes
    surly steamroller, independent fabrication titanium club racer, iro jamie roy--44/16, independent fabrication steel crown jewel--47/17, surly karate. monkey (rohloff speed hub), unicycle
    Posts
    1,582
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey vikram! i want your bike! nice. very nice. i heart thorns. one day i'll have one.

    do any of yall have to hide your bikes from your women? i'm ashamed to say that i do. i have 5 for various purposes and a couple i leave at undisclosed locations or in locked off rooms in my house for when my girlfriend comes over. seriously.
    ". . .a striped jersey under his jacket; bared calves (outside the bicycle track); cap pushed back; feet in a false position on the pedals; a barking horn, a disorderly appearance, an always-dry tongue, and a definite fondness for wine merchants. . ."

  8. #8
    More Energy than Sense aroundoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    155 miles north of Spokane
    My Bikes
    Thorn Sherpa, Co-Motion Custom Road, Salsa Fargo, Mercian King of Mercia and Motobecane Fantom Pro 29er
    Posts
    710
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bike. I have a Nomad but think I would have been just as happy on the Sherpa.

    Russian Fighter, I am 6'05" and my also looks small from me but it is a great fit. The sloping top tube makes the frame smaller overall but your saddle, stem and crank are where they need to be. Makes for an easier bike to pack in a box.

  9. #9
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by russian fighter
    Nice bike. I'm curious why you chose what appears to be a very small frame size for your height--given the seat and steerer tube lengths.
    I talked the sizing over a lot with the Adrian at Thorn - using my LHT as a starting point. I have to say when I first got the frame I kinda thought I should have gone bigger, but once I built it up and got on it the bike is spot on. Any larger and the stand over would not have been as good and top tube would have been too long. Compared to my LHT it looks small, but the numbers are right.

    I would trust the guys at Thorn to steer you towards the right frame.
    Last edited by vik; 01-28-07 at 08:36 PM.
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  10. #10
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brunop
    hey vikram! i want your bike! nice. very nice. i heart thorns. one day i'll have one.

    do any of yall have to hide your bikes from your women? i'm ashamed to say that i do. i have 5 for various purposes and a couple i leave at undisclosed locations or in locked off rooms in my house for when my girlfriend comes over. seriously.
    No I'd never hide a bike from a gal - especially one as nice as my Thorn. I'd just aim to be with a gal who appreciates my fine taste in bicycles....lol....
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  11. #11
    Senior Member onbike 1939's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Fife Scotland
    My Bikes
    Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27
    Posts
    1,898
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm amazed that it cost only 35 to ship to Canada. This is the same cost to ship within the UK.
    The Sherpa is a solid bike with a proven record as is the Nomad.
    Thorn is now changing over all its touring range to Rohloff hubs and I understand selling off the Nomads at a cheaper price.

  12. #12
    Patria O Muerte!
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Jerusalem,Israel
    My Bikes
    Pinarello road bike, Marin Kentfield city bike
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onbike 1939
    I'm amazed that it cost only 35 to ship to Canada. This is the same cost to ship within the UK.
    The Sherpa is a solid bike with a proven record as is the Nomad.
    Thorn is now changing over all its touring range to Rohloff hubs and I understand selling off the Nomads at a cheaper price.

    I called up Thorn, or SJS cycles, asking for a shipping quote to Israel - 350 pounds.
    RIDICULOUS!
    After reading this guy's post, that paid only 35 for shipping to Canada, i emailed them asking what's what, because it makes absolutely no sense.
    Waiting for an answer.

  13. #13
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FidelCastrovich
    I called up Thorn, or SJS cycles, asking for a shipping quote to Israel - 350 pounds.
    RIDICULOUS!
    After reading this guy's post, that paid only 35 for shipping to Canada, i emailed them asking what's what, because it makes absolutely no sense.
    Waiting for an answer.
    Just a couple things come to mind. The 35 pounds is what it says on my order confirmation email - I placed my order online. I looked back in my records and Thorn had mentioned 75 pounds to ship it to Canada. I haven't seen my credit card statement to be sure which I got charged. Maybe the webshop software only charged me the UK shipping rate and then things got amended later. Either way it was worth it.

    Also I ordered just the frame and fork which was shipped in a fairly small box and weighed very little. BTW - the frame was VERY well packaged and arrived within a week or so of placing my order.

    I am sure the Thorn guys will address your concerns and either sort out the problem or fully explain what is going on.
    Last edited by vik; 01-29-07 at 09:46 AM.
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •