Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Montara, CA
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    B.O.B. wheel durability

    I'm going to pull a B.O.B. across the Southern Tier. I'd like to see some comments regarding the B.O.B.'s rear wheel durability or alternative wheels for the B.O.B.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    The Wheel is Turning The Figment's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virgil Kansas
    My Bikes
    '05 Novara (REI) Bonanza
    Posts
    540
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I abused my B.O.B on my last tour...overloaded (80-100Lbs.),curbs,kids,cats,garbagecans,singletrack,mud,rocks,potholes,roadside trash and the occaisional Volvo,you get the picture. My B.O.B wheel needed a Tiny bit of truing after all that...I would'nt worry.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    208
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bob

    I towed a BOB trailer for several years. I had hand built (700c) 32 spoke wheels and never broke a
    spoke. The BOB does put a lot of stress on the rear wheel in my opinion but I have not seen any
    studies on the issue. I am now using panniers instead. I am leaving San Diego mid March to do the Southern Tier. Maybe we will see you there. Be safe.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Montara, CA
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Figment
    I abused my B.O.B on my last tour...overloaded (80-100Lbs.),curbs,kids,cats,garbagecans,singletrack,mud,rocks,potholes,roadside trash and the occaisional Volvo,you get the picture. My B.O.B wheel needed a Tiny bit of truing after all that...I would'nt worry.
    Thanks. I needed that confidence boost.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Montara, CA
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertick
    I towed a BOB trailer for several years. Maybe we will see you there. Be safe.

    Hope so and same to you. We're departing San Diego 3/6/7. Thanks.

  6. #6
    You need a new bike supcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    5,434
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a small diameter and having no more than about 50 lbs above the axle, the BOB wheel is not very stressed. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with one. For myself, I've pulled my non-suspension BOB over some pretty rough rock roads behind an MTB without any wheel issues.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    IF steel deluxe 29er tourer
    Posts
    1,426
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries, but get a better tire like a Marathon.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Montara, CA
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclesafe
    No worries, but get a better tire like a Marathon.
    Done. Thanks

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Montara, CA
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by supcom
    Being a small diameter and having no more than about 50 lbs above the axle, the BOB wheel is not very stressed. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with one. For myself, I've pulled my non-suspension BOB over some pretty rough rock roads behind an MTB without any wheel issues.

    Very assuring, thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •