I have always liked the city of Los Angeles. I went there with my father when I was in middle school, and was mesmerized by it. Now that I live in California, I plan on visiting the city often. Here is what I have in mind:
Drive from where I live (Merced) to somewhere in LA, bringing along my bike. Park my car somewhere (public park maybe?) and get on my bike and just ride from one end of the city to the other end, then ride back to my car, then go home.
Here are some of the places I'd like to ride by:
1. Belair and Beverly Hills - to see all the multi-million dollar mansions. I imagine it'd be very scenic as well.
2. Compton and the other gansta rap places - I was a huge white suburb gansta rap fan back in high school, so I'd love to see some of the places I remember hearing on rap records. Of course I'd rather not get shot, so if thats a possibility, then I can scratch this one off my list.
3. Dog Psychology Center - I am a huge fan of that guy's show, and even to just ride by, would be pretty awesome.
4. The Beach - If there is a beachside bike path or something, I'd love to incorporate that into my ride as well.
5. Anything else thats interesting or historic...
Is something like this possible? I imagine it wouldn't be an issue, as long as I stay off the interstates, right? According to Google Earth, the distance between the north tip of LA and the southern tip is about 50 miles, that will give me 100 miles round trip at the most, which may take me awhile, but is doable. Has anyone ever done something like this?