Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: all 48 states

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    all 48 states

    This is a rough estimate of the route that i want to take: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=746609

    The distance is actually about 10,000 miles since the route is not actually accurate right now.

    If any of you live near the proposed route i would appreciate any advice on what highways are good, or what roads will cut down the distance. So any information about good towns to go through, bad roads, which mountain pass to over, or which big cities to avoid would be nice. I have about 75 days to do this.

    thanks

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman1
    If any of you live near the proposed route i would appreciate any advice on what highways are good, or what roads will cut down the distance.
    The map won't let me adequately zoom in without automatically rezooming to a large size (what's up with that?!?) and I don't know if you're heading clockwise or not but west of Harrison Arkansas it looks like you swing significantly south before you head north to Rogers in NW AR instead of following 62: it looks to me like it adds miles.

    62 is very hilly so maybe that's why you veer south. It's also quite scenic though and goes through Eureka Springs which is a nice historical little town. Be advised there is a lot of tourist traffic during the summer months: marginally competent RV drivers and their ilk.

    I live about 30 miles west of Eureka close to the intersection of 62 and 72 and if you're not the type that will move in indefinitely and the timing works I could put you up for a night.

    I have very spartan quarters but it keeps the rain off. Let me know if you're interested and time frames, etc.

    Good luck and have a great trip: I'm jealous.


    Mike

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    75 days? You realize thats an average of over 130 miles per day right?
    120 Days, 12000 Kilometers, 2 Wheels - Alaska to Panama for Charity - www.CyclingForACause.com

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttsta
    75 days? You realize thats an average of over 130 miles per day right?
    Originally my friend and I were going to do the ACA's west coast, souther tier, east coast, and northern tier which would be 11,000 miles. But going through all 48 states seems more interesting and the distance is less.
    I wanted to do 150 miles a day, but my friend convinced me that we should do no more than 130-135 a day.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't sure if he meant 75 days to prepare or do the tour.

    Even more good luck to you, dantheman1.

  6. #6
    Senior Member NeezyDeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This won't be a stimulating ride. Not compared to your original plan of doing those more traveled routes. I say that because it seems to me that in going through 48 states just for the sake of going through 48 states you'll sacrifice a bit in the way of landmarks, scenic routes, and good riding.

  7. #7
    nun
    nun is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
    Posts
    2,613
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman1
    This is a rough estimate of the route that i want to take: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=746609

    The distance is actually about 10,000 miles since the route is not actually accurate right now.

    If any of you live near the proposed route i would appreciate any advice on what highways are good, or what roads will cut down the distance. So any information about good towns to go through, bad roads, which mountain pass to over, or which big cities to avoid would be nice. I have about 75 days to do this.

    thanks
    Will you have a SAG vehicle or are you doing it unsupported? If its unsupported will you be staying in hotels?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I just can't see any rider I've ever known do this ride, even with a lot of money, sag wagon, light touring road bike, ect.....

    Try a 400 mile weekend training ride first-- 200 miles out, sleep in ditch with a space blanket, 200 mile hammerfest home. Total suffering...and total fun.

    But don't let all my negitive feedback stop you from trying. Training is the key....

  9. #9
    nun
    nun is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
    Posts
    2,613
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tacomee
    Man, I just can't see any rider I've ever known do this ride, even with a lot of money, sag wagon, light touring road bike, ect.....

    Try a 400 mile weekend training ride first-- 200 miles out, sleep in ditch with a space blanket, 200 mile hammerfest home. Total suffering...and total fun.

    But don't let all my negitive feedback stop you from trying. Training is the key....
    That was my thinking too. So whats the deal SAG Wagon, credit card, or camping.......what are you doing
    130 miles a day on, it sounds even tougher than the TdF

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nun
    That was my thinking too. So whats the deal SAG Wagon, credit card, or camping.......what are you doing
    130 miles a day on, it sounds even tougher than the TdF
    It'll be unsupported. My friend and I are trying hard to get the gear as light as possible (hopefully 15-18pounds), but still be comfortable enough to recover and not break down. We are planning on using aluminum road bikes with just rear panniers. It will be primarily camping, but we will try to find a place to stay before hand, or plan to go to a motel at least once a week.

    I got another question: It is either this route, or the ACA's West, southern, east, and north routes. Right now the 48 states is about 1000 miles less, but there will be crappy roads, unknown terrain, and not the ease of mind knowing where bike shops, hotels, and campgrounds are. Plus the mileage might turn out to be equal after we plan the route according to which roads are good.

    The reason we have to do it in 75 days is that are summer break is only 81 days.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Shemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T2000, Gary Fisher Sugar2, Trek Madone 5.2SL
    Posts
    858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how many back-to-back century rides have you done so far to see if this is really feasible? What have you ridden per day in prior tours? That 133 miles per day doesn't account for any rest days, weather conditions, or sightseeing or anything. Burning yourself out is no way to enjoy touring. You'll be riding for at least 8-10 hours a day. That, and as mentioned, you're going to miss the best of what's out there on the route you mapped.

  12. #12
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    658
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go for it. i'm assuming your young, and already realitively fit. just keep a calling card and a credit card handy in case you gots to bail your self out of any situations..

  13. #13
    nun
    nun is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
    Posts
    2,613
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman1
    It'll be unsupported. My friend and I are trying hard to get the gear as light as possible (hopefully 15-18pounds), but still be comfortable enough to recover and not break down. We are planning on using aluminum road bikes with just rear panniers. It will be primarily camping, but we will try to find a place to stay before hand, or plan to go to a motel at least once a week.

    I got another question: It is either this route, or the ACA's West, southern, east, and north routes. Right now the 48 states is about 1000 miles less, but there will be crappy roads, unknown terrain, and not the ease of mind knowing where bike shops, hotels, and campgrounds are. Plus the mileage might turn out to be equal after we plan the route according to which roads are good.

    The reason we have to do it in 75 days is that are summer break is only 81 days.
    Yes go for it, I'm assuming you are college age and already experienced cyclists. If I'm wrong, and you've never done a Century before, I'd offer words of caution that you are being more than a bit ambitious, but whatever happens it will be a trip to remember

    FYI look at the following links for ideas on lightweight gear and insane trips.

    http://web.archive.org/web/200412110...tup.net/crane/

    I did it, gear is under 20lbs

  14. #14
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeezyDeezy
    This won't be a stimulating ride. Not compared to your original plan of doing those more traveled routes. I say that because it seems to me that in going through 48 states just for the sake of going through 48 states you'll sacrifice a bit in the way of landmarks, scenic routes, and good riding.

    Yeah I hate to rain on your parade too but what is the point, other then saying you did it? I think this is an excellent opportunity to really see a good portion of this country. Something that many people never get a chance to do. I'd cut back on the miles (assuming you can't add to the time) and actually ride through a number of states instead of just touching them. I can tell you that PA and WV are beautiful, especially in the fall and of course there is the whole north east. Then there all of those beautiful states in the west.

    As others said that is 133 miles a day, assuming you have good weather and you are both feeling fit every day.

    I hope you reconsider and scale back but if you don't the best of luck to you. It actually would be kind of cool to hit all of the lower 48.

  15. #15
    I'm made of earth! becnal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Frankfurt, Germany
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid, and a Bob Yak trailer. Yak very useful for us car-free types that like to buy lots of beer.
    Posts
    2,012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is such an AWESOME idea!!!!

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Brazos River valley, south central TX
    My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Posts
    1,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just go for it. If you burn out, suffer injury or otherwise can't make, you'll at least had a remarkable run for it. My only thought is that the daily mileage and the length of time you propose to maintain that mileage would make me crazy after about a week (if I even lasted that long).

    There ain't much zen in what you propose but we all have our own karma to carry...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I am actually 50/50 between this route and the ACA routes.
    The reason why I was thinking all 48 states is becuase this trip is to raise money to build schools in south east asia, so I was trying to think of what would get hte most attension. With the time constraints it actually might be faster to do the ACA's west, south, east and north routes. I'm thinking of trying to keep the daily milage between 120-125 miles a day.

    Owen

  18. #18
    nun
    nun is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
    Posts
    2,613
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman1
    So I am actually 50/50 between this route and the ACA routes.
    The reason why I was thinking all 48 states is becuase this trip is to raise money to build schools in south east asia, so I was trying to think of what would get hte most attension. With the time constraints it actually might be faster to do the ACA's west, south, east and north routes. I'm thinking of trying to keep the daily milage between 120-125 miles a day.

    Owen
    That's a great goal. So what cycling experience do you have? If we know that we can probably be of more help.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you did not ask my opinion if this was a good idea or not, and you did ask for opinions about roads. I will comment on Hwy 98 across part of Mississippi. It not the best road from Natchez to Hattiesburg but it is OK. From Hattiesburg to Mobile, AL it is referred to as "Bloody 98" I would recommend you look for an alternate route. The Southern Tier Route across Mississippi is not too bad.

    J

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH -- Randolph, NJ
    Posts
    226
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like fun, I just hated the Oklahoma panhandle. Sits in my mind as my least favorite day ever on a bike. Good luck with that trip!

  21. #21
    nun
    nun is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
    Posts
    2,613
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman1
    This is a rough estimate of the route that i want to take: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=746609

    The distance is actually about 10,000 miles since the route is not actually accurate right now.

    If any of you live near the proposed route i would appreciate any advice on what highways are good, or what roads will cut down the distance. So any information about good towns to go through, bad roads, which mountain pass to over, or which big cities to avoid would be nice. I have about 75 days to do this.

    thanks
    So Dan, anymore info on what bike you intend to use and your level of cycling experience so we can offer more help.

  22. #22
    Senior Member jcwitte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the Chicago area, if you go to this website, you can download a cue sheet and maps for the Grand Illinois Trail which will take you through Chicago and Northern Illinois.....
    http://www.bikelib.org/git/index.htm

    And if you go to the Illinois Dept of Transportation, you can order free bicycle maps for the entire state which highlights the best roads to take......
    http://www.dot.state.il.us/bikemap/STATE.HTM

    If you want to go through the actual city of Chicago, you can order a free bicycle map from the city....
    http://www.chicagobikes.org/forms/bikemaprequest.php

  23. #23
    Senior Member jcwitte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just re-read your initial post and if you are trying to cut down on days and mileage, I would avoid Chicago and it's suburbs altogether. Order some of the maps from the IDOT and you should be able to make up a quick route through Illinois...
    http://www.dot.state.il.us/maps/distmaps.asp

  24. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nun
    So Dan, anymore info on what bike you intend to use and your level of cycling experience so we can offer more help.
    I intend to use the lightest bike i can find that will last for 10,000 miles. If i only have 15 pounds in my rear panniers, would a 32 or 36 spoke rear wheel be good?
    I am in very good shape right now. I'm probably doing about 300-350 miles a week, plus a lot of swimming and running since I am a triathlete. 30 miles a day is with 20 pound panniers.
    My friend does not bike as much as I do, but he got 15 months to train seriously. He probably will be up to it.

    Also, how is I 10 in florida from welborn to jacksonville, or is there a better highway?
    Since we are going to go around to US, instead of all 48 states now, are there any good routes to get from New York, NY to Buffalo, NY?

    Owen

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd get a coach right away. Work on your cadence, get used to the saddle time-- maybe yoga to help keep flexible. Good mental health would really be the key.

    I'd also start rounding up support. Contact bike clubs around the country for route choices. See if you can get more riders, even if it's just for parts of the route. Unless you can keep out of the wind in peleton, you won't ever make this trip.

    i'd also sell you bed and start sleeping on the floor. You need to learn to suffer. Start cutting your sleep down to 4-5 a night. As far as training rides, hammer 300 miles without getting off the bike. Riding all night though a snowstorm would be a good start.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •