Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Addict
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    2006 OCR Touring?

    I recently bought what is supposedly a 2006 Giant OCR Touring from my LBS. The bike looks identical to the one on this website:

    http://www.dornellas.com/DOrnellasPr...&from=Products

    However reading up on the OCR-T on BF and other bike forums, it seems that Giant discontinued the OCR Touring around 2003-2004. I bought my bike in Canada and that website is Canadian, if that matters.

    So did my LBS lie to me? Or did Giant sell the OCR Touring in Canada during 2006?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw one for sale was 2005 in Louis and Clark store. I test ride it and dint care much for it, but I like the disc brakes alot

  3. #3
    Addict
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was it silver with a red trim, or was it another colour?

  4. #4
    Senior Member savage24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    My Bikes
    Performance mountain bike, Giant Cypress LX hybrid, Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewluu
    I recently bought what is supposedly a 2006 Giant OCR Touring from my LBS. The bike looks identical to the one on this website:

    http://www.dornellas.com/DOrnellasPr...&from=Products

    However reading up on the OCR-T on BF and other bike forums, it seems that Giant discontinued the OCR Touring around 2003-2004. I bought my bike in Canada and that website is Canadian, if that matters.

    So did my LBS lie to me? Or did Giant sell the OCR Touring in Canada during 2006?
    Is this the shop where you purchased the bike? I noticed they are advertising it as a 2006 model. I love the guys statement on the website about how experienced, knowledgable, and successful (on an elite level) that he is. Humble fellow, isn't he?

    I remember seeing the OCR-T at my local Giant dealer in '03 or '04. The following year it was not in the catalog and my dealer told me that they were discontinued, but I can't say exactly what year that was. I would recommend contacting Giant directly and asking them - they may have started making them again late last year or something. What really matters is that you are happy with the bike and feel that you got a good deal, regardless of the year it was made....but it would certainly damage my trust in the shop if in fact it was old stock represented as an '06 model.
    Quote Originally Posted by catatonic
    "So, in this plan....when do we drink the kool-aid? I'm thirsty."
    "Marriage is a deathtrap these days. I would no more get married than I would own a chinese SUV."

    ....

  5. #5
    Senior Member savage24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    My Bikes
    Performance mountain bike, Giant Cypress LX hybrid, Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I poked around on Giant's website a bit - found no mention of the OCR Touring on either U.S. or Canada websites. I would contact Giant with the serial number from the bike and ask when it was made. If Giant confirms your suspicions, I would be looking for a new bike shop to deal with.
    Quote Originally Posted by catatonic
    "So, in this plan....when do we drink the kool-aid? I'm thirsty."
    "Marriage is a deathtrap these days. I would no more get married than I would own a chinese SUV."

    ....

  6. #6
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an OCR T but it was the last year of production which had the ultegra sti shifters and that's the 04.

  7. #7
    Addict
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by savage24
    Is this the shop where you purchased the bike? I noticed they are advertising it as a 2006 model. I love the guys statement on the website about how experienced, knowledgable, and successful (on an elite level) that he is. Humble fellow, isn't he?

    I remember seeing the OCR-T at my local Giant dealer in '03 or '04. The following year it was not in the catalog and my dealer told me that they were discontinued, but I can't say exactly what year that was. I would recommend contacting Giant directly and asking them - they may have started making them again late last year or something. What really matters is that you are happy with the bike and feel that you got a good deal, regardless of the year it was made....but it would certainly damage my trust in the shop if in fact it was old stock represented as an '06 model.
    Didn't buy the bike from that shop, just found that link from the internet and my bike looks identical.

    I agree that the most important thing is that I'm happy with the bike and that I feel that I got a deal--and I believe that's the case here. The LBS owner was the one who sold me the bike as well--spent 30 minutes fitting me properly on the bike, and seemed genuinely concerned about setting me up properly (maybe he's just a good salesman).

    I almost want to remain ignorant and continue to believe that my LBS is fantastic, but if a 2004 model is being sold as a 2006 model, then I've been duped. If you bought a 2006 model car for the price of what the 2004 model goes for, of course you'd think you got a deal, right?

    I think I'll call Giant up and verify what I think, then if no 2006 model exists then I'll go to the LBS and talk directly to the owner as he sounds like a reasonable individual and may have just made a mistake.

  8. #8
    Addict
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slvoid
    I have an OCR T but it was the last year of production which had the ultegra sti shifters and that's the 04.
    I have Ultegra STI shifters on mine as well. Is yours silver and red too?

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this one was silver, dont remember the red

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your happy with the bike who cares what year it is. My buddy has the same one and he loves it. Just enjoy it and ride the thing until the wheels come off. By the way he has ove 10,000 miles on it and still going strong only thing he had to change was the BB and Crank Set but that was well after he had ridden over 7,000 miles.

  11. #11
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine's black.

  12. #12
    Slowpoach
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, AU
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Northwood tandem, 1970s Gitane fixxed 45x16
    Posts
    1,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a nice tourer, apart from the high gears and the discs. What's the problem?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Southwestern Ontario
    Posts
    1,500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would echo the above: if you like/love the bike, who cares? However, I see your point as well. FWIW, I'm assuming you're in Canada, so as I recall the bike you bought is probably a '2005'; Giant continued the OCR Touring in Canada for at least a year after it was dropped in the states. You won't find it on the website archived stuff, but it was in the print catalogues (Cdn.) for both 04 and 05. I think the silver/red is the latest/last version.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •