Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-07, 04:37 AM   #1
Collie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Bikes:
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
advice re: bike assembly

Hello,

I will be starting the assembly of my bike soon and I would like to hear your tips/advice before I start the build.

I am fairly confident that the build will be straightforward, but I do have a couple of concerns, and I wouldn't like to damage any components through ignorance.

My focus for now is what specialized tools do I need.

As far as I can see the only critical areas are:
- cutting the steerer tube (I will not cut this for a while yet so this is not an issue currently)

- the bottom bracket. even though the bottom bracket comes fitted on the Sherpa frame-set, I would like to know what tools are needed/recommended for removal and installation of this square taper bottom bracket?

- the crankset. I need to know what tools I need to install/remove the sugino xd300 square taper crank-set

- the cassette. I need to know what tools I need to install/remove the Shimano XT cassette to/from the XT hub

I can purchase the common tools like allen keys, spanners, etc no problem, but I've been looking at the Park Tool repair help guide and there are a selection of tools recommended there.

So what tools do you use/recommend that I can also bring with me on tour. Preferably handy and not too heavy or bulky.

thanks,
Collie
Collie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 07:28 AM   #2
Rich B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Manchester, CT
Bikes: LHT
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If your Sherpa is a steele frame, rustproof it before you mount any hardware. I used J.P. Weigle spray. I left facing the bottom bracket, cutting the steerer tube and pressing in the headset bearings to my trusted mechanic as the investment for the neccessary tools isn't worth one-time use, and I lacked the expertise to do these critical jobs in the first place. Don't want to screw this up!
Rich B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 07:59 AM   #3
Collie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Bikes:
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
by rustproof are you talking about the unpainted sections of the frame? for example the interior of the tubing?
Collie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 08:13 AM   #4
barba
Senior Member
 
barba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 4,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collie
- cutting the steerer tube (I will not cut this for a while yet so this is not an issue currently)
I just use a pipe cutter like this one. You can probably get one cheaper at the hardware store.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Collie
- the bottom bracket. even though the bottom bracket comes fitted on the Sherpa frame-set, I would like to know what tools are needed/recommended for removal and installation of this square taper bottom bracket?
You need a bottom bracket tool. It is a cheap tool and worth the investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collie
- the crankset. I need to know what tools I need to install/remove the sugino xd300 square taper crank-set
You need a crank puller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collie
- the cassette. I need to know what tools I need to install/remove the Shimano XT cassette to/from the XT hub
You need a cassette tool and a chain whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collie
So what tools do you use/recommend that I can also bring with me on tour. Preferably handy and not too heavy or bulky.
I would just get a reasonable multi-tool. I like the Crankbrothers M-19 pretty well, and the Topeak ones are nice.
barba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 08:39 AM   #5
Collie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Bikes:
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the Topeak Alien II, but this would not be sufficient for the crank, bottom bracket, or cassette.
thank you very much for the info

Collie
Collie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 08:45 AM   #6
barba
Senior Member
 
barba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 4,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collie
I have the Topeak Alien II, but this would not be sufficient for the crank, bottom bracket, or cassette.
thank you very much for the info

Collie
I don't know that many folks carry the chainwhip, cassette tool, bottom bracket tool, crank puller and a big ol' adjustable wrench on tour. The odds that you will need to remove your crank or BB seems kind of remote (and I am not sure what kind of repair you could do roadside if you did). There are light weight cassette crackers available:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/stein...ock/index.html

This is potentially useful if you need to replace a drive side spoke.
barba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-07, 09:58 PM   #7
Collie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Bikes:
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
barba: "You need a bottom bracket tool. It is a cheap tool and worth the investment."



is this bottom bracket tool suitable for a SQUARE TAPER Shimano UN-53 bottom bracket?
Collie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 07:19 AM   #8
barba
Senior Member
 
barba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 4,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collie
barba: "You need a bottom bracket tool. It is a cheap tool and worth the investment."



is this bottom bracket tool suitable for a SQUARE TAPER Shimano UN-53 bottom bracket?

That should do it.
barba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:30 PM.