Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-14-07, 01:58 AM   #1
Robert_in_ca
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Laguna Hills California
Bikes: Cannondale R3000, Specialized Enduro SL
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Loaded LHT and first tour with it

Here's some pics of my LHT all loaded up for it's very first tour. I was going to leave today but got home too late from work. I'll be leaving tomorrow from Riverside and I'll ride in to Corona and take the Santa Ana River bike trail all the way to Huntington beach, then head south on PCS to San Onofre to camp. From there I'll go to Oceanside and then take HWY 76 up to Mission rd in Fallbrook and take the back roads in to Temecula and then to Menifee at my Mom's house, the ending point.

The pics kind of suck, I'll take better ones tomorrow in the daylight.



Robert_in_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-07, 02:15 AM   #2
dauphin
Senior Member
 
dauphin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 2,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_in_ca
Here's some pics of my LHT all loaded up for it's very first tour. I was going to leave today but got home too late from work. I'll be leaving tomorrow from Riverside and I'll ride in to Corona and take the Santa Ana River bike trail all the way to Huntington beach, then head south on PCS to San Onofre to camp. From there I'll go to Oceanside and then take HWY 76 up to Mission rd in Fallbrook and take the back roads in to Temecula and then to Menifee at my Mom's house, the ending point.

The pics kind of suck, I'll take better ones tomorrow in the daylight.



Be safe! Great looking rig.
__________________
dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-07, 12:01 PM   #3
Lolly Pop
Senior Member
 
Lolly Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Norn'Iron
Bikes: Gardin
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice bike! Have fun!

btw, will your panniers fit on your front rack instead of the rear?
Lolly Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-07, 01:55 AM   #4
bloodhound
...there I was...
 
bloodhound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ...I left Hawaii for this? This is frickin cold!...
Bikes: ...Surly LHT - blue...
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...I'm jealous...

Very Nice Bike!

I'm jealous. I'm doing my first tour soon - on my Specialized Sirrus Hybrid Base Model Commuter bike...

Dreaming of a LHT or a Cannondale Touring bike someday!

Good Luck!
bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-07, 03:47 PM   #5
Robert_in_ca
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Laguna Hills California
Bikes: Cannondale R3000, Specialized Enduro SL
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I think I overestimated myself. I got about 65 miles into the first day and was completely dead. Should have been doing some training with the load first but I just got my panniers. My girlfriend was at the beach near my ending point anyways so I just put my bike in the car and went home. I wouldn't have been able to cycle home the next day, my legs were dead.

I think I am going to have to do some shorter weekend tours, like 30 miles each way and back.

Good learning experience though and I was happy to be able to make it the 65 miles or so, it's the longest I've actually rode a bike, and this time it was with a bunch of gear.

I'll just look at it like a training ride

I went from Riverside through Corona and then got on green River road onto Santa Ana River Trail, took that all the way in to Santa Ana then went through Irvine in to Newport beach. From there I took PCH down to Dana Point where I finished and had some BBQ Chicken Pizza
Robert_in_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-07, 04:42 PM   #6
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 17,965
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_in_ca
Well I think I overestimated myself. I got about 65 miles into the first day and was completely dead. Should have been doing some training with the load first but I just got my panniers. My girlfriend was at the beach near my ending point anyways so I just put my bike in the car and went home. I wouldn't have been able to cycle home the next day, my legs were dead.

I think I am going to have to do some shorter weekend tours, like 30 miles each way and back.

Good learning experience though and I was happy to be able to make it the 65 miles or so, it's the longest I've actually rode a bike, and this time it was with a bunch of gear.

I'll just look at it like a training ride

I went from Riverside through Corona and then got on green River road onto Santa Ana River Trail, took that all the way in to Santa Ana then went through Irvine in to Newport beach. From there I took PCH down to Dana Point where I finished and had some BBQ Chicken Pizza
Commuting is your friend I commute year round but when I'm getting ready for a tour, about 12 weeks before, I start to carry weight in the panniers. I progress the weight levels to about what I think I'll be carrying and throw in some weekend long rides with the weight (I just do day rides since I know how all my equipment will work).

For weight, I use rice and/or beans since they are cheap, nonabrasive - unlike rocks or sand -, I can eat them when I'm done (or donate them to a food drive) and they are bulkier than sand. You can get rice from your local grocery store in 1, 2, 5 or higher bags. I usually use the 5 lbs and increase about that much per week until I'm close to the weight I want to carry.

You look really goofy and people ask you where you are headed and you feel really stupid saying that you are just carrying around rice but it really helps with training.
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 05:43 PM   #7
Lolly Pop
Senior Member
 
Lolly Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Norn'Iron
Bikes: Gardin
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_in_ca
Well I think I overestimated myself. I got about 65 miles into the first day and was completely dead. Should have been doing some training with the load first but I just got my panniers. My girlfriend was at the beach near my ending point anyways so I just put my bike in the car and went home. I wouldn't have been able to cycle home the next day, my legs were dead.

I think I am going to have to do some shorter weekend tours, like 30 miles each way and back.

Good learning experience though and I was happy to be able to make it the 65 miles or so, it's the longest I've actually rode a bike, and this time it was with a bunch of gear.

I'll just look at it like a training ride
That's the spirit! Good on ya for getting out there and giving it a whirl!

And cycco's advice is spot on -- build up the weight. I was exhausted the day I rode my first loaded "test" tour (solo like you!). Fortunately, I was staying at the camp for two days and was able to recover a bit before I rode home.
Lolly Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 05:48 PM   #8
roadfix
hello
 
roadfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 18,565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
How was camping in San Onofre?
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 06:15 PM   #9
Robert_in_ca
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Laguna Hills California
Bikes: Cannondale R3000, Specialized Enduro SL
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix
How was camping in San Onofre?

I only made it to Dana Point LOL

Read my second post in this thread.
Robert_in_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 06:17 PM   #10
Robert_in_ca
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Laguna Hills California
Bikes: Cannondale R3000, Specialized Enduro SL
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Commuting is your friend I commute year round but when I'm getting ready for a tour, about 12 weeks before, I start to carry weight in the panniers. I progress the weight levels to about what I think I'll be carrying and throw in some weekend long rides with the weight (I just do day rides since I know how all my equipment will work).

For weight, I use rice and/or beans since they are cheap, nonabrasive - unlike rocks or sand -, I can eat them when I'm done (or donate them to a food drive) and they are bulkier than sand. You can get rice from your local grocery store in 1, 2, 5 or higher bags. I usually use the 5 lbs and increase about that much per week until I'm close to the weight I want to carry.

You look really goofy and people ask you where you are headed and you feel really stupid saying that you are just carrying around rice but it really helps with training.
Yeah, I moved close to my work so I can commute by bike, it's been helping but I think I moved too close to work LOL. I live 2.1 miles away now Been saving a ton on gas!

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep the gear and clothes in the panniers for now and leave it on the bike and ride it like that and get used to it.
Robert_in_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 06:18 PM   #11
Robert_in_ca
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Laguna Hills California
Bikes: Cannondale R3000, Specialized Enduro SL
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly Pop
That's the spirit! Good on ya for getting out there and giving it a whirl!

And cycco's advice is spot on -- build up the weight. I was exhausted the day I rode my first loaded "test" tour (solo like you!). Fortunately, I was staying at the camp for two days and was able to recover a bit before I rode home.
Thanks, I'm going to give it another shot this weekend. I'm looking right now for camping options within 30 miles of my house.
Robert_in_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 09:54 PM   #12
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 17,965
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_in_ca
Yeah, I moved close to my work so I can commute by bike, it's been helping but I think I moved too close to work LOL. I live 2.1 miles away now Been saving a ton on gas!

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep the gear and clothes in the panniers for now and leave it on the bike and ride it like that and get used to it.
Ride the long way home I used to live about 1/4 mile from my work (as the crow flies) but I went all the way around a mountain to put in extra miles. Of course, sometimes I went up the mountain and played around on my mountain bike. The Joys of Colorado
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 01:54 PM   #13
wallace125
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: brooklyn
Bikes: 1991 cannondale M800
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How many inches between your tire and seat tube?
What size frame did you get?
wallace125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:21 AM.