Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-15-07, 05:59 AM   #1
pathebikeguy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cycling In Jordan

I recently copleted a 2 week tour in Jordan. It was supposed to be 3 weeks but I cut it short because of the poor weather. Its a great place to explore with a bike; ancient Roman Ruins, Crusader Castles, the Desert, the Dead Sea, PETRA, Biblical sites and its extemely safe and friendly. But, March is definitely not the time to go and if you're not in good shape it can be very difficult at anytime. Extremely steep grades. I think the best time would be in September or October when most of us are in good shape after a summer of cycling and its not too hot in Jordan. I recently copleted a web-page for this short trip. Click on the link to see a few photos, my route map and other useful information.http://www.geocities.com/pathebikeguy/jordan2007.
pathebikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-07, 06:35 AM   #2
IronMac
Dead Men Assume...
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Singapore
Bikes: Bike Friday NWT
Posts: 851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see that you did not go to Wadi Rum.
IronMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 05:52 AM   #3
pathebikeguy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are quite a few places I wanted to go to I missed. Besides Wadi Rum I wanted to do the Desert Castle route; I wanted to explore the north more too - like Jerash and Irbid etc. I planning on going back and maybe combining Jordan and the Sinai.
pathebikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 06:35 AM   #4
FidelCastrovich
Patria O Muerte!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Jerusalem,Israel
Bikes: Pinarello road bike, Marin Kentfield city bike
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathebikeguy
There are quite a few places I wanted to go to I missed. Besides Wadi Rum I wanted to do the Desert Castle route; I wanted to explore the north more too - like Jerash and Irbid etc. I planning on going back and maybe combining Jordan and the Sinai.
Looks mighty lonely. Kind of like it looks from our side of the Dead Sea. Hilly/mountainous +deserted = unfriendly, in my mind.
I'd like to cross the border once, for a day or two of riding in Jordan, but seeing as i hold the worst possible passport in the world, i think i should wait a while. Same with Sinai.

Way to go on the originality though!

Last edited by FidelCastrovich; 04-16-07 at 08:07 AM.
FidelCastrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 07:11 AM   #5
becnal
I'm made of earth!
 
becnal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Bikes: Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid, and a Bob Yak trailer. Yak very useful for us car-free types that like to buy lots of beer.
Posts: 2,012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FidelCastrovich
I'd like to cross the border once, for a day or two of riding in Jordan, but seeing as i hold the worst possible passport in the world, i think i should weight a while.
I feel your pain!
becnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 07:13 AM   #6
becnal
I'm made of earth!
 
becnal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Bikes: Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid, and a Bob Yak trailer. Yak very useful for us car-free types that like to buy lots of beer.
Posts: 2,012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathebikeguy
I recently copleted a 2 week tour in Jordan.
What were the biking conditions like? Busy roads? Bike paths? Courteous drivers?
becnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 03:16 PM   #7
pathebikeguy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jordan is a VERY friendly place. And safe for that matter. Israelies are allowed to enter Jordan. There's a peace treaty between the two countries. You can go anytime you want. Its the only country in the Middle East you can get into outside of Egypt. Probably safer to cycle there than in Israel.
I'ld be very nervous to come to Israel to cycle. Would want to catch a stray bullet. Plus it would render my passport useless in all other Middle East countries - except Egypt.

Except for the VERY STEEP climbs its a great cycling destination. Outside of Amman, traffic is light. Drivers are respectful of cyclists. Roads are in good condition. And the landscapes are spectacular. Lots of historical sites to explore. Food and water are easy to find along the Kings Hwy and the Desert Hwy. The Dead Sea Hwy is a different story - you'ld have to cary enough food and water for up to 200km. There are lots of off-roads possibilities too but I wouldn't do it without a guide.
pathebikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 04:08 AM   #8
IronMac
Dead Men Assume...
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Singapore
Bikes: Bike Friday NWT
Posts: 851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the Israeli stamp in your passport, can you not get a separate piece of paper? Not sure but I think I heard that from somewhere.

Second, the wadis can be really really steep. hahaha I can laugh now...

Third, Jordan was the only place where someone threw something at me (on a steep descent too which was very dangerous) from a passing van and hit me. Right on the back of my head. I didn't find Jordan to be especially friendly because of that incident and a couple of others. If you want friendly then go to Syria. Incredibly hospitable people.
IronMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 05:27 AM   #9
FidelCastrovich
Patria O Muerte!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Jerusalem,Israel
Bikes: Pinarello road bike, Marin Kentfield city bike
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathebikeguy
Jordan is a VERY friendly place. And safe for that matter. Israelies are allowed to enter Jordan. There's a peace treaty between the two countries. You can go anytime you want. Its the only country in the Middle East you can get into outside of Egypt. Probably safer to cycle there than in Israel.
I'ld be very nervous to come to Israel to cycle. Would want to catch a stray bullet. Plus it would render my passport useless in all other Middle East countries - except Egypt.

Except for the VERY STEEP climbs its a great cycling destination. Outside of Amman, traffic is light. Drivers are respectful of cyclists. Roads are in good condition. And the landscapes are spectacular. Lots of historical sites to explore. Food and water are easy to find along the Kings Hwy and the Desert Hwy. The Dead Sea Hwy is a different story - you'ld have to cary enough food and water for up to 200km. There are lots of off-roads possibilities too but I wouldn't do it without a guide.

I think you may have a slightly distorted, CNN-ised view of Israel. Stray bullets? We have zero gun related deaths here, except for the "battlezones", but those are out of reach for Israeli citizens.
Israel has a VERY developed cycling culture, you should come visit. Mountains in the North, desert in the South, friendly people(who drive like maniacs :-) ), and anywhere you throw a rock you hit a professional bike shop.
Touring is not developed,but other than that, it's a perfect place for a 7-12 day tour. And i'm not even Israeli per se, so don't accuse me of being biased
Regarding Jordan and Egypt - i'm an Israeli citizen, otherwise i'd go tomorrow. Peace treaties may look great on paper and at press-conferences, but Arabs still don't like us much, so they're useless.

Anyway, here's a link to the photo albums page of one of the cycling forums, so you can take a look for yourself.
http://www.tapuz.co.il/communa/Commu...&AlbumId=22093


And if you look closely at the attached picture you'll see cyclists on a club ride. And NO stray bullets whatsoever
Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0502200628869.jpg (62.1 KB, 6 views)
FidelCastrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 05:58 AM   #10
pathebikeguy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like I'll have to travel to Syria and Israel too the next time.
Thanks for the replies.
pathebikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:43 AM.