Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-07, 10:17 AM   #1
nun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
Posts: 3,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Route suggestions, Buffalo/Erie to Boston

In planning an NT tour I want to leave the AC route around Buffalo/Erie area and finish in Boston. Any suggestions for good routes?
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-07, 12:13 PM   #2
goldener
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ma rt. 2 or 9 is fine in west ma at the ma/ny border and into central ma..then both become a busy highway somewhere outside (west) of worcester... shouldn't be to hard to find a route from worcester to boston.

Last edited by goldener; 04-17-07 at 12:18 PM.
goldener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-07, 12:18 PM   #3
goldener
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and it would be useful to buy the set of rubel's ma bike maps:
the whole state set is like $20 and they are really great and useful- the central ma map might not be complete- i've never seen one in existance, but i am frequently wrong.

http://www.bikemaps.com/
goldener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-07, 12:40 PM   #4
Speedo
Senior Member
 
Speedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston Area
Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti
Posts: 1,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldener
ma rt. 2 or 9 is fine in west ma at the ma/ny border and into central ma..then both become a busy highway somewhere outside (west) of worcester... shouldn't be to hard to find a route from worcester to boston.
Taking Rt 2 up and over the big ridge east of North Adams would be un-fun. There are definitely better options either north or south.

I second the notion getting the Rubel maps for Mass.

It might be useful to know what you are trying to avoid by leaving he AC route so far west.

Speedo
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-07, 12:51 PM   #5
nun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
Posts: 3,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo
Taking Rt 2 up and over the big ridge east of North Adams would be un-fun. There are definitely better options either north or south.

I second the notion getting the Rubel maps for Mass.

It might be useful to know what you are trying to avoid by leaving he AC route so far west.

Speedo
Not avoiding anything other than going North instead of West towards my destination of Boston. I have a route from Worcester to Boston as I've done that ride quite often and I have the Mass bike maps, so I suppose I'm asking whats the best route across PA and NY
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-07, 12:58 PM   #6
goldener
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nun
Not avoiding anything other than going North instead of West towards my destination of Boston. I have a route from Worcester to Boston as I've done that ride quite often and I have the Mass bike maps, so I suppose I'm asking whats the best route across PA and NY
check this out:

https://www.nysdot.gov/portal/page/p...-bureau/biking

and the link on the above linked page about state bike routes 5, 9, 17. and us11
goldener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-07, 01:12 PM   #7
nun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
Posts: 3,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldener
check this out:

https://www.nysdot.gov/portal/page/p...-bureau/biking

and the link on the above linked page about state bike routes 5, 9, 17. and us11
thanks looks like State Route 5 fits the bill
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-07, 05:22 PM   #8
Zalafan
Team Barlostep-Liquitubel
 
Zalafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Buffalo NY
Bikes: I do not own my horses, nor do they own me. We depend on one another for survival.
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One for BR17

Having been across the state a few times by BR 17 and 5 alike, I would suggest 17 over 5. It meanders, making for a few extra miles. However, you know what meandering means: Hills. Scenery. Buffalo to Syracuse by 5 offers little in the way of either as compared to 17. Even after Syracuse, there is room for improvement.

BR 5 is much more straightforward than BR 17, as BR 17 does not follow a certain car road (17 is a highway, soon to become I-87). Both pass through a few cities, 5 having more (Buffalo, Syracuse, Utica, Albany) than 17 (Elmira, Corning, Binghamton), but I daresay that 17's cities are far lovlier and more bike-conducive than 5's (especially Utica, which is a terror). Around Binghamton, BR 17 includes an optional little northern digression that takes you through what I feel to be some of Upstate New York's finest cycling outside of the Catskills or Adirondacks (note bias: I am a one-time Binghamton resident). 17 also gives you the option of heading through the Catskills and possibly the Hudson River region, both of which offer spectacular scenery (but, again, more hills).

Obviously, 17 is easier to pick up right out of Erie, while 5 takes you more directly to (northern) Mass at its terminus.

Both routes offer fine lanes, though I would trust 5's more. They are very spacious and I once made the trip from Buffalo to Syracuse in the dark without much worry. 17's are fine too, if perhaps less spacious.

I vote for 17. That's my own position; I am willing to endure the hills for the scenery they provide, and let me tell you, it is much, much better on 17 on that front.
Zalafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 10:50 AM   #9
nun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
Posts: 3,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalafan
Having been across the state a few times by BR 17 and 5 alike, I would suggest 17 over 5. It meanders, making for a few extra miles. However, you know what meandering means: Hills. Scenery. Buffalo to Syracuse by 5 offers little in the way of either as compared to 17. Even after Syracuse, there is room for improvement.

BR 5 is much more straightforward than BR 17, as BR 17 does not follow a certain car road (17 is a highway, soon to become I-87). Both pass through a few cities, 5 having more (Buffalo, Syracuse, Utica, Albany) than 17 (Elmira, Corning, Binghamton), but I daresay that 17's cities are far lovlier and more bike-conducive than 5's (especially Utica, which is a terror). Around Binghamton, BR 17 includes an optional little northern digression that takes you through what I feel to be some of Upstate New York's finest cycling outside of the Catskills or Adirondacks (note bias: I am a one-time Binghamton resident). 17 also gives you the option of heading through the Catskills and possibly the Hudson River region, both of which offer spectacular scenery (but, again, more hills).

Obviously, 17 is easier to pick up right out of Erie, while 5 takes you more directly to (northern) Mass at its terminus.

Both routes offer fine lanes, though I would trust 5's more. They are very spacious and I once made the trip from Buffalo to Syracuse in the dark without much worry. 17's are fine too, if perhaps less spacious.

I vote for 17. That's my own position; I am willing to endure the hills for the scenery they provide, and let me tell you, it is much, much better on 17 on that front.

Thanks for the great descriptions of the routes I'll check them out this summer, but an option for me might be 17 up to the Binghamton/Deposit area then head NW to Catskil and from there head towards Northampton

Last edited by nun; 04-18-07 at 11:03 AM.
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:22 AM.