Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Front Derailleur for 46-36-26 Crank

    Im putting together a parts list to build a Tour bike and have decided on the Sugino XD600 crankset with barend shifters. I cannot seem to find the right derailleur that will work. It either does not have the range or is not designed for a 46 T large chain wheel.

    What are you all using out there that would work for me with barend shifters and this crank?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    nun
    nun is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
    Posts
    2,315
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget about the 46T thing and go for something like a Shimano XT, a 105 triple, or an IRD
    Alpina, they'll work.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the 105 Triple

  4. #4
    Senior Member Trek Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Trek Cronus & 520
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put that crank 46,36,26 with brifters on my Trek 520. Bought the frame and purchased the components. Used a Shimano FD and it works fine. Not sure of the part number, I'll check it when I get home after work and post it.

    Al

  5. #5
    slk
    slk is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mystrwizard
    Im putting together a parts list to build a Tour bike and have decided on the Sugino XD600 crankset with barend shifters. I cannot seem to find the right derailleur that will work. It either does not have the range or is not designed for a 46 T large chain wheel.

    What are you all using out there that would work for me with barend shifters and this crank?

    Thanks!
    I'm using a Tiagra FD with a Sugino XD600 26/36/48 and barcons. It's all stock on the Surly LHT complete, and seems to work fine.

    From the reports I've seen, the Tiagra FD does much better with the odd chainring sizes than the higher end FDs.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mystrwizard
    Im putting together a parts list to build a Tour bike and have decided on the Sugino XD600 crankset with barend shifters. I cannot seem to find the right derailleur that will work. It either does not have the range or is not designed for a 46 T large chain wheel.

    What are you all using out there that would work for me with barend shifters and this crank?

    Thanks!
    An Ultegra front derailleur works fine, seems I also hear that the 105 FD works too. I really like the 46-36-26 (or 24, can't remember). Really, I never leave the middle ring, get's me up a Really Big Hill every mourning of my commute.
    Last edited by johann; 04-23-07 at 10:57 PM.

  7. #7
    Craig A. Lebowitz lebowitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    1984 Trek 520 | 2002 Specialized Hardrock
    Posts
    372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Sugino 46-36-26 and my triple 105 fd works well.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    My Bikes
    1998 Trek 7000, 2007 Surly Crosscheck, 2008 GT Peace 9r Multi
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an LX 48T trekking crankset and use an LX FD that I picked up from cambria bike for $15 2 months ago. Works fine.
    ___________________________
    1998 Trek 7000
    2007 Surly Cross Check
    2007 On One Inbred 29er
    2009 GT Peace 9r Multi

  9. #9
    Senior Member Trek Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Trek Cronus & 520
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The FD I use is the Shimano 105 FD-5504L with the Sugino XD600 46,36,26 crank with the 13-34 cassette from Harris Cyclery. It was recommended on some sites I saw and works fine. Using the Shimano 105 brifters.

    Al

  10. #10
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,027
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek Al
    The FD I use is the Shimano 105 FD-5504L with the Sugino XD600 46,36,26 crank with the 13-34 cassette from Harris Cyclery. It was recommended on some sites I saw and works fine. Using the Shimano 105 brifters.

    Al
    The Tiagra is probably a better choice for a wide front derailer paired with STI. I happened to have measure one the other day and compared it to an Ultegra and 105. It's wider between the plates and the outer plate is thinner than the more sculpted 105's. This means that it's less prone to rub when in some gear combinations. I'd go with it over anything higher up the line.

    XT and mountain bike derailers probably won't work with STI...if that's the way you are going.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southeast MN
    My Bikes
    Atlantis, Bleriot, Adventure Cycle,Steamroller, Big Dummy
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using a Sora derailer with my Sugino crank (46-36-26). It works fine.
    Last edited by drcrash; 04-26-07 at 06:19 PM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old Suntour FDs work great....mostly because many of them were designed to work with the 110 BCD cranksets (the cage has the right bend). You might save a little cash if you can find one. The IRD Alpina seems to be pretty close if you want a new one.

    The new 105 and Ultegra FDs are made for 10 speed chains. They'll work with 9 speed or 8 speed, but not any better than a Tiagra FD. As posted above, the Sora units work fine as well. As long as you're using friction shifting.....almost any FD will work fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Durham,NC.
    My Bikes
    Heron Wayfarer/ 2004 Giant Cypress SX
    Posts
    305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using a Campy "Racing T" frnt.with my Sugino XD, 48/36/26 and love it.

    Richard

  14. #14
    nun
    nun is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
    Posts
    2,315
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tacomee
    Old Suntour FDs work great....mostly because many of them were designed to work with the 110 BCD cranksets (the cage has the right bend). You might save a little cash if you can find one. The IRD Alpina seems to be pretty close if you want a new one.

    The new 105 and Ultegra FDs are made for 10 speed chains. They'll work with 9 speed or 8 speed, but not any better than a Tiagra FD. As posted above, the Sora units work fine as well. As long as you're using friction shifting.....almost any FD will work fine. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Agreed, I assumed that the FD was in friction mode, I carn't really imaging using a FD indexed as its always useful to be able to trim the FD.

  15. #15
    LHT Commuter wsexson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker & Motobecane Le Champion
    Posts
    467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can also confirm that the 105 triple works well with a Sugino XD2 crank (46-36-26) and bar end shifters.

  16. #16
    LHT Commuter wsexson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker & Motobecane Le Champion
    Posts
    467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make that the old 9 speed 105 triple, actually.

  17. #17
    Slow Rider bwgride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    797
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Sugino 46-36-26 crank and found that most any front dérailleur (FD) works with it despite various claims. Currently I use a standard Shimano LX (FD) designed for smaller cranks, but it works fine for the 46 and 26.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the LX fd too and it's grand. some rubbing on the lowerest gear combination but i can live with that for the moment.

    QUESTION: I use a shim to fit the fd to the seat tube, so i assume this is the reason why there is rubbing in the lowest gear combo because the fd might be further away from the seat tube because of the shim???
    am i correct???

    Collie
    ... keep on keeping on...

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note that many of the new Shimano front derailleurs (2007 models) have problems when used with chainrings that are not stock Shimano chainring sizes. The cages are much more profiled than before. I wrote up an article about it on my blog here.

    For what it's worth, the Campagnolo triple front derailleurs still work great with the XD600 crank.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's true that Shimano is making it hard to mix MTB and road bike parts...9 speed mountian vs. 10 speed road, narrow derailer cages, bigger pins and ramps on chainrings for quicker STI shifting.

    None of this stuff helps touring bikes.

    Thank goodness there's still lots of cheap 8 speed stuff out there....a great choice for touring bikes!

  21. #21
    Senior Member halfspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SE Minnesota
    My Bikes
    are better than yours.
    Posts
    9,664
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those of you using LX or XT FDs with 26-36-46 cranks, how old is your derailleur? I've not been able to get recent ones to work without either the inner cage rubbing the middle ring or having to mount them way too high on the seat tube. Shimano recommends a 12T difference between the middle and big ring and this is consistent with my experience. I'm trying to track down 1) how serious this issue is and 2) when it started.

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfspeed
    For those of you using LX or XT FDs with 26-36-46 cranks, how old is your derailleur? I've not been able to get recent ones to work without either the inner cage rubbing the middle ring or having to mount them way too high on the seat tube. Shimano recommends a 12T difference between the middle and big ring and this is consistent with my experience. I'm trying to track down 1) how serious this issue is and 2) when it started.
    It might have started a couple of years ago, but the 2007 models are even worse. You cannot use a 2007 LX FD with that crank. To avoid hitting the middle chainring with the inner cage, you need to mount the FD *very* high. In the past, you could mount the derailleur like this and still get OK shifting with friction shifters. However, the new derailleurs are more profiled. So, the ramps built into the cage will rub the chain in many gear combinations when the derailleur is mounted high. There is really no good work around. Hence, the need for either the less-profiled Campy derailleurs or old models.

  23. #23
    nun
    nun is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
    Posts
    2,315
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heron Todd
    To avoid hitting the middle chainring with the inner cage, you need to mount the FD *very* high. In the past, you could mount the derailleur like this and still get OK shifting with friction shifters. However, the new derailleurs are more profiled.
    I've always use friction shifting for FDs to allow for trimming as the chain angle changes across the cassette, I'm
    a bit lazy and tend to use the rear cassette at some less than optimal angles.

    I carn't comment on the 2007 Shimano stuff, but I've never had an issue with mounting FDs high. I use a 105
    double with a 42/26 front ring double. To get the FD to clear the chainstay there has to be a big gap between
    the 42t ring and the cage, but its smaller than it would with the middle ring of a triple...so what's the issue.

  24. #24
    Slow Rider bwgride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    797
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collie
    I use the LX fd too and it's grand. some rubbing on the lowerest gear combination but i can live with that for the moment.

    QUESTION: I use a shim to fit the fd to the seat tube, so i assume this is the reason why there is rubbing in the lowest gear combo because the fd might be further away from the seat tube because of the shim???
    am i correct???

    Collie
    Collie --

    The shim may be the reason. I'd look for a FD that fits the tube correctly. By rub, I assume you mean the chain rubs against the cage side and not the cage bottom. If the bottom is where the rub occurs, then lower the dérailleur a millimeter or two. If the chain rubs against the side, there are at least three things to explore.

    First, check the adjustments on the dérailleur to ensure the limit stop is not preventing the dérailleur from retracting completely.

    Second, it is possible the bottom bracket you have is not placing the crank set far enough away from your frame. However, if that were the case, the inner chain ring may rub against the frame itself, so this is unlikely to be the cause.

    A third possibility may lie with the alignment of the dérailleur; you may need to tilt the cage at a different angle to the chain to allow for clearance.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    north bergen, nj
    My Bikes
    cannondale caad 8 custom
    Posts
    410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use a nos deore dx, it was between xt and lx in the early 90's. i have the xd 600 crank and this combonation is perfect. can be found on line for like 5 or 6 bucks plus shipping

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •