Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member Rutnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Touring bike and campagnolo

    Well, I have some parts in the parts bin and I was thinking campy for the touring bike. It is currently a triple in the front with 50/39/30 gearing and in the back is a 11-32 MTB cassette. While I haven't ridding it much, I was looking at getting it back on the road.

    I a campy triple FD and a campy centaur medium cage rear derailer that are just begging to be used. Does anyone have any specs on whether or not the centaur medium cage will handle a triple as long as I keep it to say a 12 or 11-26 rear cassette? Shifting will be done by friction barend.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Campy stuff is easy to sell on EBAY....Just buy a new Sora FD, 8 speed chain and MTB cassette, and Deore RD (LX if the sale goes well). That Centaur RD just won't handle low enough gearing.

  3. #3
    Senior Member greenstork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    584
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnick
    Well, I have some parts in the parts bin and I was thinking campy for the touring bike. It is currently a triple in the front with 50/39/30 gearing and in the back is a 11-32 MTB cassette. While I haven't ridding it much, I was looking at getting it back on the road.

    I a campy triple FD and a campy centaur medium cage rear derailer that are just begging to be used. Does anyone have any specs on whether or not the centaur medium cage will handle a triple as long as I keep it to say a 12 or 11-26 rear cassette? Shifting will be done by friction barend.
    I run a Campy medium cage Centaur RD with a Sheldon Brown special cassette -- 13-30 century special (Shimano with a JTek ShiftMate, which you wouldn't need for a friction shifter anyway). I run a Shimano triple up front (52-39-30) and the 30 cog just almost touches the RD when I'm in the 30 tooth front ring.

    The setup is susceptible to cross chaining and I can't use the 13,14,or 15 tooth on the rear when I'm in the middle ring or the granny up front. My chain starts creaking and complaining until I shift to the big ring. And I certainly wouldn't use the larger rear cogs when I'm on my big ring up front.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rutnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wrong answer. I'm not selling any of my campy stuff. I've sold all of my dura ace stuff though with the exception of the bar end shifters.

    I may put the medium cage on my gf daughter's bike and buy a centaur long cage. That should be enough for at least a 30 in the back. I'm not going to be doing any loaded touring anytime soon but whit my road riding, I'm strong enough. I wanted the bike for a brevet I'm doing in the near future.


    Quote Originally Posted by tacomee
    Campy stuff is easy to sell on EBAY....Just buy a new Sora FD, 8 speed chain and MTB cassette, and Deore RD (LX if the sale goes well). That Centaur RD just won't handle low enough gearing.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Rutnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like I will try a long cage centaur.


    Quote Originally Posted by greenstork
    I run a Campy medium cage Centaur RD with a Sheldon Brown special cassette -- 13-30 century special (Shimano with a JTek ShiftMate, which you wouldn't need for a friction shifter anyway). I run a Shimano triple up front (52-39-30) and the 30 cog just almost touches the RD when I'm in the 30 tooth front ring.

    The setup is susceptible to cross chaining and I can't use the 13,14,or 15 tooth on the rear when I'm in the middle ring or the granny up front. My chain starts creaking and complaining until I shift to the big ring. And I certainly wouldn't use the larger rear cogs when I'm on my big ring up front.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a free country, Rutnick, do whatever you want. But this the touring forum, and you asked a question. I answered it honestly....and you're not even building a touring bike. Why did you even bother to post in the first place?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Rutnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOT building a touring bike?



    sure looks like one to me. Front fork mount, rear mounts, cantilever brakes, 110bcd triple with now lower gearing, Brooks saddle and bar end shifters.

    Ignore most of the picture because that is how the bike looked after I bought it, changed wheels and saddle.

    What I said was that I was going to be using it first for a brevet. I didn't say I wouldn't be using it as a touring bike in the near future.

    Honestly, it may be a free country but I asked about campy and touring not shimano and touring. Stay on topic...another did. Just for that, I'll get that long cage campy rear derailer and some campy bar ends. That frame is too nice for sora components. Centaur, Veloce or 105 would be the lowest I go and XT if I went Shimano rear derailer.

    Actually, the stock derailers still look pretty good on there.





    Quote Originally Posted by tacomee
    It's a free country, Rutnick, do whatever you want. But this the touring forum, and you asked a question. I answered it honestly....and you're not even building a touring bike. Why did you even bother to post in the first place?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Sora FD will work fine on your bike....the new 105 or XT ones will not (currently only the Sora and Tiagra FDs are the only Shinamo FDs that work well with most 110 bcd triple cranksets...the new Campy is 10 speed...super narrow, another crummy choice for your crankset)

    So don't think of your bike as *too good* for Sora parts. They might be the only ones that will work on your bike!

    And once again....the biggest cassette cog made for Campy is 29 teeth. Maybe a 30 or 32 Shimano would work with friction shifting, but I wouldn't plunk down $150 for a Campy derailer to find out.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Rutnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually, the campy FD I have is a triple AND you can remove a pad to make it 9 speed compatible. $49 for a long cage centaur rear derailer if you know where to shop.


    Quote Originally Posted by tacomee
    A Sora FD will work fine on your bike....the new 105 or XT ones will not (currently only the Sora and Tiagra FDs are the only Shinamo FDs that work well with most 110 bcd triple cranksets...the new Campy is 10 speed...super narrow, another crummy choice for your crankset)

    So don't think of your bike as *too good* for Sora parts. They might be the only ones that will work on your bike!

    And once again....the biggest cassette cog made for Campy is 29 teeth. Maybe a 30 or 32 Shimano would work with friction shifting, but I wouldn't plunk down $150 for a Campy derailer to find out.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Stay on topic...another did."

    You left the topic the moment you started to direct traffic. I always assume there is more than one conversation going on and an answer that doesn't suit one may actually help someone else who might otherwise not get the big picture.

  11. #11
    Senior Member halfspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SE Minnesota
    My Bikes
    are better than yours.
    Posts
    9,664
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnick

    I a campy triple FD and a campy centaur medium cage rear derailer that are just begging to be used. Does anyone have any specs on whether or not the centaur medium cage will handle a triple as long as I keep it to say a 12 or 11-26 rear cassette? Shifting will be done by friction barend.
    I'll do something different and answer the actual question: Yes, as long as you're using a standard Campy cassette. To use the 13-29 cassette and a triple, Campy recommends the long cage, though you might be able to get away with the medium. If you'd like lower gearing than that, send an email to IRD and see if there are any issues with triples and their new 12-32 Campy-compatible cassette.

    http://www.interlocracing.com/cassettes_steel.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •