I'm going back to Vietnam my 5th time in 12 years in the U.S. I was born in Vietnam and came here in 1996 when I was 18 years old, so that make me 30 years old now .
I will be doing a bike tour in Vietnam for about 12-14 days. My schedule staying in Vietnam will be June 5th until August 20th but I have many other things to do so I only have 2 weeks max for a tour. The reason I'm posting it here is because I want to have partners to ride a bike together. So you ask: "what do you mean FREE?" That mean you're riding with a native Vietnamese tour guy with absolutely no cost. You pay for what it cost you (hotel, food) but I don't charge you for anything extra because I'm NOT doing this for profit, I want to make friends and have fun.
Anyway, to make it short, here are some information:
1. Time: July 10th until July 22th (time can be flexible depends of the agreement of the people who join)
2. Fee: Really depends, around $1000 to buy your own round trip ticket to Vietnam. If you plan to stay for only 12 days for only the tour and then come back, my estimate is the cost would be around minimum $50/day to be $600. I'm NOT kidding, that's the main concept of "FREE" in the title. Compare this cost to site such as veloasia.com and you'll see.
3. Trip: Unplanned, I have specific routes in mind, but not officially right now depends on number of people. Basically, we'll start from Saigon and bike through from city to town. Minimum would be 40-50 miles/ per day and maximum would be 70-80 miles.
4. Group: Minimum 4 people, maximum 10 people.
5. Insurance: You buy your own insurance, I've done some researched and there are American/International companies in Vietnam to take care of this issue.
6. Bike ability: From the trip info, you can guess what category you're in to be in this group. My average speed is around 18mph, I'm not competitive but not beginner either. We'll also stop by many places to take pictures, hence we'll have many breaks.
7. Bike: Good bikes, touring bike/MTB around $500 and above would be suitable enough. Road bike probably not recommended but the road has been improved a lot in recent years now. I guess for the sake's of fun and smooth ride, it's highly recommended that you bring your own bike to VN.
The bottom line is: I'll take care of everything for you. In other word, I'm your tour guy/friend with cycling passion. I would go on this trip anyway so I thought: "heck, why don't we find some guys in the bike forums to make friends and for fun, I'd learn a lot from them too." I also know the time is kind of late, and people usually need more time to prepare for this kind of trip, but who knows? Some of you might already in Vietnam/ already planned a trip to VN and read this post, so I might have a few already prepared.
This is a SERIOUS trip, so please let me know if you're serious about doing a tour. You're free to post any questions or comments however, and Ill answer you as fast as I can.