Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Student balsingh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MPLS
    My Bikes
    Trek 2300, Trek 6500, Old Puegot Course, Specialized Tarmac Pro
    Posts
    253
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Tire Sizes, 700x???

    Hey there. I'm touring in Europe this summer and wondering which tire sizes will be the best for my bike. But here's the hitch...I have a road bike, a Trek 2300. As a result, what size will carry the load (mainly on the rear) the best while still producing a comfortable, yet fast ride? Also, I'm looking at getting either the Conti Top Contacts or Schwalbe Supremes or Pluses. Any suggestions? Thanks for your advice.

    Cheers,

    Bal

    PS. Here's a picture of my bike (in non-touring form)

  2. #2
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll be very limited to how large a tire you can use do to the tight clearances on your frame. If you are lucky you might be able to get a 28 to work, but most likely you'll be limited to a 25.

    Are you planning to use the stock wheels? What about a rack?

  3. #3
    Student balsingh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MPLS
    My Bikes
    Trek 2300, Trek 6500, Old Puegot Course, Specialized Tarmac Pro
    Posts
    253
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I put on an Old Man Mountain Sherpa rear rack and switched my Rolf Vector Comp wheels for a set of Mavic Opens. I hope that they will do the trick. But I'm now trying to find some good tires.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by balsingh
    Well I put on an Old Man Mountain Sherpa rear rack and switched my Rolf Vector Comp wheels for a set of Mavic Opens. I hope that they will do the trick. But I'm now trying to find some good tires.
    Do you have any idea of the maximum tire size which will fit in your frame? Tires from the Schwalbe Marathon line are very good for touring.

  5. #5
    Student balsingh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MPLS
    My Bikes
    Trek 2300, Trek 6500, Old Puegot Course, Specialized Tarmac Pro
    Posts
    253
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well although I didn't find a direct match to my specific wheels, I found that the largest tire both the Mavic Open Sport and Open Pro can handle is a 700x28 becuase that's the largest size they list on charts regarding tire pressure and size. Thanks.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Shemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T2000, Gary Fisher Sugar2, Trek Madone 5.2SL
    Posts
    858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by balsingh
    Well although I didn't find a direct match to my specific wheels, I found that the largest tire both the Mavic Open Sport and Open Pro can handle is a 700x28 becuase that's the largest size they list on charts regarding tire pressure and size. Thanks.
    But the frame/fork, what's the largest they can take? That is the outstanding question.

    (By the way, nice looking bike in its current form!)

  7. #7
    Soma Lover
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Logan, UT
    My Bikes
    one bike for every day of the week
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm more skeptical of hanging too much weight on a pair of seat stays designed for racing than I am of the wheels/tires.

    I commute on Michelin Krylion Carbon 700x25c's and love them. One road flat and two trail flats in around 6000 miles. They're a half millimeter or so bigger than the smaller 28's and I have yet to find a road frame they won't fit in but the clearance is often minimal. I'm only 160 lbs. but I've also had zero problems touring with them on 32 spoke ultegra/open pros with 25 lbs. on the rear rack. BTW, make sure those wheels are really well tensioned. My ultralight touring has added up to a few hundred miles and it sounds like you're out to do quite a bit more.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by balsingh
    Well although I didn't find a direct match to my specific wheels, I found that the largest tire both the Mavic Open Sport and Open Pro can handle is a 700x28 becuase that's the largest size they list on charts regarding tire pressure and size. Thanks.
    My wife has been running 700x37 on her Open Pros for years with no problems whatsoever.

  9. #9
    Student balsingh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MPLS
    My Bikes
    Trek 2300, Trek 6500, Old Puegot Course, Specialized Tarmac Pro
    Posts
    253
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cachehiker
    I'm more skeptical of hanging too much weight on a pair of seat stays designed for racing than I am of the wheels/tires.

    I commute on Michelin Krylion Carbon 700x25c's and love them. One road flat and two trail flats in around 6000 miles. They're a half millimeter or so bigger than the smaller 28's and I have yet to find a road frame they won't fit in but the clearance is often minimal. I'm only 160 lbs. but I've also had zero problems touring with them on 32 spoke ultegra/open pros with 25 lbs. on the rear rack. BTW, make sure those wheels are really well tensioned. My ultralight touring has added up to a few hundred miles and it sounds like you're out to do quite a bit more.
    well i'm not even 150 lbs and will probably have about 50 lbs of gear (max) for my fully-loaded tour this summer. also, the rack has not given me any grief and i've done some riding with a similar amount of wieght. the rack utilizes the quick release and then the seat stays with some heavy-duty U clamps. and yeah, i'm planning on putting on about 1500 miles this summer, but on hopefully mild roads. if it matters, i'll be using a pair or Arkel GT-54s. anyway, thanks for your advice. and please keep 'em coming. btw, here's a pic (not mine) of the rack attached to a bike:

  10. #10
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^

    Do you already have the rack? If not, look at the Tubus QR mounting brackets, they put the rack further back, reducing the chance of heal strike.

    http://www.thetouringstore.com/TUBUS...ONS%20PAGE.htm

  11. #11
    Student balsingh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MPLS
    My Bikes
    Trek 2300, Trek 6500, Old Puegot Course, Specialized Tarmac Pro
    Posts
    253
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i already bought the rack and panniers. this is what they actually look like on my bike (sorry for the poor quality). i've had no problems with foot-strikes and find the rack to be extremely durable, well-attached, yet simple. however, i don't have my Mavic Open Pros and other bags on the bike in this photo. it's coming soon.
    balvindar.blogspot.com

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    12,418
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You max tyre size will most likely be one of the narrower 28mm or wider 25mm. I use a Schwalbe Marathon 28mm (not the Plus version) and it runds very wide, closer to a traditional 32mm size. It is OK with my long drop calipers but you will need a narrower size.
    50lbs is a heavy load, esp on the rear of a race bike. Your panniers place the load quite far back over the rear axle (because of your short chainstays). Do you have anything to counterbalance the front? You may find the bike becoming very skittish and rearing up on steep climbs.
    Check out some of the front rack solutions including small Nitto racks at Rivendell. You may be able to strap your tent to the front.

  13. #13
    Student balsingh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MPLS
    My Bikes
    Trek 2300, Trek 6500, Old Puegot Course, Specialized Tarmac Pro
    Posts
    253
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelW
    50lbs is a heavy load, esp on the rear of a race bike. Your panniers place the load quite far back over the rear axle (because of your short chainstays). Do you have anything to counterbalance the front? You may find the bike becoming very skittish and rearing up on steep climbs.
    Check out some of the front rack solutions including small Nitto racks at Rivendell. You may be able to strap your tent to the front.
    unfortunately, i did already ponder the idea of having a front rack, but had to nix the idea because my front fork is carbon. however, i will have a handlebar bag where I can put heavier items like some tools. also, my friend will be the one carrying the tent and the stove, i'll just have my own gear. furthermore, i've done about 28mph down curving hills and the bike felt surprisingly stable, and on climbs and accelerating, i only notice the rear weight when i'm out of the saddle as i'll experience a little wobble, but nothing too bad, yet. thanks for all the advice.

    bal
    balvindar.blogspot.com

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix Apex, Cannondale T2000, Cannondale Rize, Stumpjumper M5 Comp
    Posts
    819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually that is a pretty nice looking setup and the heavier duty wheels and tires will increase your capacity significantly. I would be cautious with too much weight in a handlebar bag - no tools! - the location can have a significant adverse effect on handling - better to use it only for your snacks, camera, wallet, etc. Put the tools in the bottom of your panniers. From personal experience I would also suggest trying to get the weight on your rear rack (panniers plus gear) down to 40lbs. Over the long haul it will give you more stability, more speed and better reliability.
    Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc, Cannondale T2000 (touring), Stumpjumper M5 (Mtn - hardtail), Cannondale Rize4 (Mtn - full susp)

  15. #15
    Student balsingh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MPLS
    My Bikes
    Trek 2300, Trek 6500, Old Puegot Course, Specialized Tarmac Pro
    Posts
    253
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your help...just to help clarify things, my current set-up is my Trek 2300 with the Mavic Open-Pro wheels. For my gear, I have the Old Man Mountain Sherpa rear rack holding my Arkel GT-54 panniers. I also have the Ortlieb Ultimate 5 Plus Medium handlebar bag and the medium Ortlieb Rack Pack as well. I don't know if that helps any, but here ya'll go. Thanks again.

    bal
    balvindar.blogspot.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •