Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    wll
    wll is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What Crankset and Cassettes ?

    What sets are you guys using, do most of you have road or mountain bike gearing or a combo of ?

    Will be building a bike and like to know. I would think the lower gears are more important that the high gearing stuff, I don't wee myself going over 20 something unless it is downhill.


    wll

  2. #2
    Senior Member NeezyDeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    48-36-24 is my preferred setup, though I guess the standard mountain gearing like 46-36-26 is common

    Almost every tourer on here with modern cassettes opts for 11-34...
    Last edited by NeezyDeezy; 10-04-07 at 07:58 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    N. California
    Posts
    1,410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using Race Face cranks with 46-36-26 and 11-34 on the back. The crank length also plays a role in the leverage you can bring to bear...Long gives you more leverage but the length should still take into acount the length of your legs. I use 175mm on all my bikes. My touring bike has 26" wheels so please take into account that my gear inches are smaller than otherwise with 700c's. My lowest gear is around 21 gear inches and the highest about 108 gear inches.

    As has been echoed before on this forum, not many tourers complain about having a gear too low. Many have said they are down at 18 gear inches and some even lower.

  4. #4
    Senior Member staehpj1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Parkville, Md
    Posts
    7,487
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 26-36-46 with an 11-32 is what I used on the transamerica and it was mostly adequate. In the west I never wanted anything lower or higher than that offered. There were a few steep climbs in the east where I would have used a lower gear if I had one.

    If I were starting from scratch I might use a 24-36-48 and 11-34, but I probably wouldn't replace the cassette I already have unless it was due for replacement anyway. I may put a 24 on the front before doing any more fully loaded Applachian touring though.

    Erica and Lauren (my daughter and her college room mate) used a 24-36-46 and 11-32 and I think they were happy with the combination.

  5. #5
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,312
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
    I am using Race Face cranks with 46-36-26 and 11-34 on the back. The crank length also plays a role in the leverage you can bring to bear...Long gives you more leverage but the length should still take into acount the length of your legs. I use 175mm on all my bikes. My touring bike has 26" wheels so please take into account that my gear inches are smaller than otherwise with 700c's. My lowest gear is around 21 gear inches and the highest about 108 gear inches.

    As has been echoed before on this forum, not many tourers complain about having a gear too low. Many have said they are down at 18 gear inches and some even lower.
    Same crank, same high, same middle. 22tooth low however and 700C wheels.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  6. #6
    Soma Lover
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Logan, UT
    My Bikes
    one bike for every day of the week
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    48-38-24 TA Specialties Chainrings on an Ultegra Octalink crank with 167.5 arms, an 11-32 cassette, and 700c wheels.

    I'm also an ultralight backpacker who rarely carries more than 40-45 lbs. and a powerful climber.

    I often spin out on downhills and almost never need the last few gears unless I'm in the dirt.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Durham,NC.
    My Bikes
    Heron Wayfarer/ 2004 Giant Cypress SX
    Posts
    306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeezyDeezy View Post
    48-36-24 is my preferred setup, though I guess the standard mountain gearing like 46-36-26 is common

    Almost every tourer on here with modern cassettes opts for 11-34...
    Same here. Using 48-36-24 front. Using 12/34 rear.

    Richard

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Granite State
    My Bikes
    Trek 800, Cannondale M300
    Posts
    221
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those riders with the 11-34 cassette, does your rear derailleur shift smoothly with the large 34 tooth cog? I'm upgrading the drivetrain on a bike and I'm not sure if I should go with an 11-32 or 11-34 cassette.

    Also, most of the cranksets that I've seen (Bontrager and Shimano) had the standard 46-36-26 combo or a 44-32-22 combo. is a 48-36-24 some kind of custom chain ring combination?

  9. #9
    Senior Member NeezyDeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, for 48-36-24, I had to replace a 26 tooth with a 24 tooth cog.

    with 34 teeth in the cassette you definitely need a mountain derailleur

  10. #10
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,312
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cynergy View Post
    For those riders with the 11-34 cassette, does your rear derailleur shift smoothly with the large 34 tooth cog? I'm upgrading the drivetrain on a bike and I'm not sure if I should go with an 11-32 or 11-34 cassette.

    Also, most of the cranksets that I've seen (Bontrager and Shimano) had the standard 46-36-26 combo or a 44-32-22 combo. is a 48-36-24 some kind of custom chain ring combination?
    The Shimano Trekking crand uses 48/36/26. Most mountain bike cranks are going to be 44 or 42/32/22.

    And, no, I don't have any problems with the 11-34 cassette and shifting.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I never fully understood about crank length is why you need bigger ones just because you are taller. Longer legs, everything else equal, will be stronger so they should have enough leverage as is. One should be able to stomp on the 170 cranks specified for your otherwise identical but smaller companion. When it comes to spining the small gears fast on steep hills (I try for the same RPM but it does feel faster), smaller cranks seem like they would be easier to use.

  12. #12
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,312
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterpan1 View Post
    One thing I never fully understood about crank length is why you need bigger ones just because you are taller. Longer legs, everything else equal, will be stronger so they should have enough leverage as is. One should be able to stomp on the 170 cranks specified for your otherwise identical but smaller companion. When it comes to spining the small gears fast on steep hills (I try for the same RPM but it does feel faster), smaller cranks seem like they would be easier to use.
    Mountain bikes have traditionally used longer cranks to develop more torque. Often you can't spin a mountain bike like you would a road bike, so you need more leverage. Since you don't have to worry about trail hazards on a road bike and can concentrate on cadence, you can use a shorter crank.

    I'll agree that big people don't need any more leverage. I use to ride with a guy that was 5" taller than me (I'm nearly 6') and I always had to struggle to keep up. If there were low overhangs, I always had the advantage
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wll View Post
    What sets are you guys using, do most of you have road or mountain bike gearing or a combo of ?

    Will be building a bike and like to know. I would think the lower gears are more important that the high gearing stuff, I don't wee myself going over 20 something unless it is downhill.


    wll
    I have race face evlove 46,34,22 with 11-32 rear cog . I found that any gear higher than 46/11 was never used when fully loaded touring . I had a 48 and the 11 and 13 cogs were never used but now with the 46 I can actually pedal on the flats with the 46/11 with tailwind and other good conditions . A 46/11 with no gear and 26x1.5" tyres on my Kona smoke maxs out at 50kph until good riding conditions , which is more than enough speed loaded or unloaded for touring purposes
    eat sleep bike think dream

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks CC.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •