Now that the forum helped me figure out that this bike does indeed fit me, time to ask:
Is it actually a good idea to tour on a 32 year old bike?
(I'd cross-post in Classic & Vintage but I know what they'd say )
Recently picked up a 1976(75?) Fuji America in very nice condition on Craigslist.
I intend to take it on a fully loaded a tour from Seattle the San Francisco this summer.
Major components all seem to be from original setup (newer tires & rims)
1975 Component Specs
Page from '76 Catalog: This bike is designed especially for the long distance tourer or cycle camper with an eye on the budget but wishes no compromise on quality or performance.
Looks Identical to These Photos: only photo I have of mine is blurry
- No braze-ons anywhere: Will I be able to safely mount a load-bearing rack? Just one eyelet on back and one on front.
- 43cm (17") Chainstay: with size 12 shoes. Trek 520 is 45cm and some folks want more.
- Center-Pull Caliper Brakes: not cantilever
- No Triple-Chain Ring: the smaller chainring is not a granny
- 1976 Materials/Technology: Should I worry about the ravages of age on any component? Are there any newer technologies so killer that you cannot go without them these days?
- 27 x 1 1/8" Tires: Should probably go up to 1 3/8"?
Thanks for everyone's help!
(attached blurry picture anyway)