Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    nun
    nun is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
    Posts
    2,441
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Man I miss this!

    Some nice photos from one of the RSF groups. I grew up riding across moors a bit
    to the NE, but its very nostalgic for me. You can also see where I get my love
    of the Carradice Saddlebag! Nice cake pictures too.

    http://www.southlakesgroup.org.uk/20...17feb2008.html

  2. #2
    Slow Rider bwgride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to ride there.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,317
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nun i know it's great scenery and even the food looks great but does it make for great cycling(three great's in one sentance)

  4. #4
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,208
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW! Someone better tell EastHill about the Lancashire group

    Now all I have to do is figure out which one is closest to Leeds

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  5. #5
    nun
    nun is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
    Posts
    2,441
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antokelly View Post
    nun i know it's great scenery and even the food looks great but does it make for great cycling(three great's in one sentance)
    I consider great views and great food to be a big part of a good tour, be it a day or a week. I can't comment on the route shown in the link, but when I would take a bike up on the North Yorks Moors it was great cycling. I'd start off on two lane roads from my house and they'd become single track and finally go down to bridle paths and forest tracks that were stone and hard packed dirt. Nothing too technical like jumps,but some steep stuff requiring pushing and a fair bit of mud on damp days. It looked much like the South Lakes pics, and it was definitely good cycling.

  6. #6
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,208
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nun View Post
    I consider great views and great food to be a big part of a good tour, be it a day or a week. I can't comment on the route shown in the link, but when I would take a bike up on the North Yorks Moors it was great cycling. I'd start off on two lane roads from my house and they'd become single track and finally go down to bridle paths and forest tracks that were stone and hard packed dirt. Nothing too technical like jumps,but some steep stuff requiring pushing and a fair bit of mud on damp days. It looked much like the South Lakes pics, and it was definitely good cycling.
    That is touring to me! I have based tours around brew pubs, wineries, historic sites, bed and breakfasts or whatever struck my fancy. I think what intrigues me the most about the tours pictured is that, ones like that don't exist in much of the US due to the lack of public lands and the overbearing automobile.

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  7. #7
    nun
    nun is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
    Posts
    2,441
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
    That is touring to me! I have based tours around brew pubs, wineries, historic sites, bed and breakfasts or whatever struck my fancy. I think what intrigues me the most about the tours pictured is that, ones like that don't exist in much of the US due to the lack of public lands and the overbearing automobile.

    Aaron
    When I was in school we'd ride our bikes onto the moors at weekends and camp next to a small beck well off the road at a place called Hob Hole. There was a nice flat bit of flat grass between the bracken and heather and the stream that the sheep kept nice a short. Of course you had to sweep away all the sheep cr*p, but it was an amazingly soft surface. We'd set up camp and immediately head down to the pub, drinking age was, and is 18, but it was laxly enforced and if you had any sign of facial hair you'd get served, that went for the girls too.

    When I got a bit older I'd go farther right over the moors on bridle paths and the small roads of the
    Cleveland Way and the Lyke Wake Walk and stay overnight in an inn. I'm going to do that again!

  8. #8
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,208
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nun View Post
    When I was in school we'd ride our bikes onto the moors at weekends and camp next to a small beck well off the road at a place called Hob Hole. There was a nice flat bit of flat grass between the bracken and heather and the stream that the sheep kept nice a short. Of course you had to sweep away all the sheep cr*p, but it was an amazingly soft surface. We'd set up camp and immediately head down to the pub, drinking age was, and is 18, but it was laxly enforced and if you had any sign of facial hair you'd get served, that went for the girls too.

    When I got a bit older I'd go farther right over the moors on bridle paths and the small roads of the
    Cleveland Way and the Lyke Wake Walk and stay overnight in an inn. I'm going to do that again!
    Sounds sweet to me! I hope to get the chance to at least ride some of England. My son is a grad student at Leeds University. Hope to get their later this year.

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  9. #9
    nun
    nun is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
    Posts
    2,441
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
    Sounds sweet to me! I hope to get the chance to at least ride some of England. My son is a grad student at Leeds University. Hope to get their later this year.

    Aaron
    Leeds is perfect for the Yorkshire Dales and the North Yorkshire Moors.

  10. #10
    Lanky Lass East Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Posts
    21,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nun View Post
    Leeds is perfect for the Yorkshire Dales and the North Yorkshire Moors.
    And there's always this ride if you are there in late August .

    Sniff...homesick...sniff...sniff...sniff

    Thanks nun, nothing like some nice photos of my roots !

    East Hill
    ___________________________________________________
    TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •