Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-08, 06:34 PM   #1
celerystalksme
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Surly Long Haul Trucker...what size will fit me?

Alright...so I've decided to get a Surly Long Haul Trucker as a tourng/commuting/utility bike. I wanted to get a custom but I have far too many other bike purchases so I need to penny pinch here and there. My problem is that I'm not sure what size to get?

My road bike is a Specialized Roubaix Expert Compact Rival in XS size (49 cm). It fits me near PERFECT...a custom made Parlee would have nearly identical dimensions. The Surly LHT doesn't have anything quite so perfect for me. Based on standover height, I'd nee a 42 cm. Based on seat-tube length, I'd need something between the 42 cm and 46 cm. Based on toptube length, I'd need something between a 46 cm and 50 cm.

Any advice?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
celerystalksme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 07:02 PM   #2
jpmartineau
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montréal, QC (Canada)
Bikes: 2008 Surly LHT complete & 1988-ish fuglyfixed Specialized RockHopper
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by celerystalksme View Post
Alright...so I've decided to get a Surly Long Haul Trucker as a tourng/commuting/utility bike. I wanted to get a custom but I have far too many other bike purchases so I need to penny pinch here and there. My problem is that I'm not sure what size to get?

My road bike is a Specialized Roubaix Expert Compact Rival in XS size (49 cm). It fits me near PERFECT...a custom made Parlee would have nearly identical dimensions. The Surly LHT doesn't have anything quite so perfect for me. Based on standover height, I'd nee a 42 cm. Based on seat-tube length, I'd need something between the 42 cm and 46 cm. Based on toptube length, I'd need something between a 46 cm and 50 cm.

Any advice?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
Although this info might not be useful in your case (sorry), it might be useful to others when it's archived: I'm 5'11" and I went for the 56cm. Didn't get it yet, but the floor model was a 56cm and a test ride proved the bike was just perfect for me.
jpmartineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 07:12 PM   #3
Robert_in_ca
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Laguna Hills California
Bikes: Cannondale R3000, Specialized Enduro SL
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.surlybikes.com/lht_comp.html

Does any of the local bike shops have any LHT's built?

If the standover height on any of the bikes above a 42 will not work for you, then it's probably best to try different length stems and maybe a setback seatpost and see if the 42 will be comfortable for you.

It's always best to try each size before you buy.

If you're buying a complete bike, also check to make sure the crank length is right for you.
Robert_in_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 07:13 PM   #4
cheeva
mauve avenger
 
cheeva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Rafael, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
get sized and ask ur LBS about geometry
cheeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 07:24 PM   #5
celerystalksme
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_in_ca View Post
http://www.surlybikes.com/lht_comp.html

Does any of the local bike shops have any LHT's built?

If the standover height on any of the bikes above a 42 will not work for you, then it's probably best to try different length stems and maybe a setback seatpost and see if the 42 will be comfortable for you.

It's always best to try each size before you buy.

If you're buying a complete bike, also check to make sure the crank length is right for you.
i was planning on buying the frame and builing the bike from the ground up. my LBS usually does not have a smaller LHT available for me to try...they have like a 54 or 56 ready to go.n
celerystalksme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 08:34 PM   #6
tacomee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's really risky buying a frame you haven't gotten to test ride-- I'd ask your LBS to get a smaller stock LHT, test ride and buy that one. If you're not happy with the factory build, change out what you don't like.
tacomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 09:01 PM   #7
TruckerMike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes: 2008 Turner Spot, Berg Ti Cross, 2011 Karate Monkey
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My opinion is that you should compare geometry of similar bikes to see which fits you best before commiting to the LHT. Don't force a LHT to fit.

Take a look at dimensions for a Smoothie ES, Marinoni Turismo, Rocky Sherpa, Trek 520, Fuji, Jamis Aurora, and others before you pull the trigger.
__________________
Just Riding Along
TruckerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 08:40 AM   #8
celerystalksme
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerMike View Post
My opinion is that you should compare geometry of similar bikes to see which fits you best before commiting to the LHT. Don't force a LHT to fit.

Take a look at dimensions for a Smoothie ES, Marinoni Turismo, Rocky Sherpa, Trek 520, Fuji, Jamis Aurora, and others before you pull the trigger.

i have another question! should i even be comparing my roubaix geometry with touring bike geometries? i mean...tri/tt and roadbike have slightly different geometries.
celerystalksme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 11:34 AM   #9
c_m_shooter
Senior Member
 
c_m_shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Paradise, TX
Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Redline Monocog 29er, Generic Track bike, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker
Posts: 1,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your best bet is to buy based on top tube length. Buying a size larger than your road bike is common for tourers, so that it is easier to get the bars up a little higher.
c_m_shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 11:35 AM   #10
sparky221
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 5'0" tall. I have the 42CM LHT. The Surly's seem to run large, so keep that in mind. The TT is pretty short, which I love because I can actually reach the handlebars without neck pain (I'm have arthritis in my neck). At that size frame, the HT angle is pretty shallow, like about 70 degrees, and the seat tube angle is pretty steep at 75 degrees. Kind of an odd combination but it really works for me, so far.

If you're an XS frame person, you'll want to go more by the standover height for the Surly's, rather than just the ST length. The touring frame does have a different geometry than the road bikes. I've had my LHT complete for a couple of weeks now and I grin every time I ride it. It really fits me well and I love how it rides.
sparky221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 10:51 PM   #11
TruckerMike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes: 2008 Turner Spot, Berg Ti Cross, 2011 Karate Monkey
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter View Post
Your best bet is to buy based on top tube length. Buying a size larger than your road bike is common for tourers, so that it is easier to get the bars up a little higher.
How about buying based on head tube length and effective top tube length? That way you don't have a stack of ten spacers under the stem once you get the bars at desired height.
__________________
Just Riding Along
TruckerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 08:22 AM   #12
bikemedic
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A Touring Bike is going to fit different than your road bike. If you get something close to whatever dimension you decide is the most important you can always swap parts to fine tune it.
bikemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:35 PM.