Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Montréal, QC (Canada)
    My Bikes
    2008 Surly LHT complete & 1988-ish fuglyfixed Specialized RockHopper
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rear Rack for LHT

    Hi,

    I'm looking for a rear rack to put on a LHT.

    I want something solid, preferably steel over aluminium but not an absolute must. Although I'll likely never overload it, I want something that'll be good for a long time and won't break if I carry a bag of firewood on a campsite, or other bulky items. I have Arkel Panniers (recent models with the new fastening system).

    Must haves:
    - Fits on a LHT
    - Solid
    - Not too narrow or too small so I can securely put a Arkel Pelican for day trips. (It's also annoying to attach that sort of bag on a narrow rack).
    - Compatible with recent Arkel panniers

    I've looked at:
    - Tubus Cargo (steel)
    - Surly Nice Rack (steel)
    - Blackburn expedition (alu)

    The problem with the Tubus racks is that I'm having a hard time to locate some in Montreal. For various reasons, I don't want to order out of the country and prefer to deal with local dealers.

    I've seen the Surly Nice Rack and it looks awful nice. It's a bit expensive though. Anyone have any experience with that rack? Is it worth the money?

    The Blackburn expedition, I don't like, mainly because it's tiny and will make my tail rider bag unstable. I also don't like the way it looks. I also don't like the fact that I need to pry it apart to fit it on my bike. Seems somewhat a bad idea because the rack will not be parallel to the frame and will put unnecessary stress on the bolts.

    Anyone have suggestions? Should I go with the Surly Nice Rack or do you have better (hopefully cheaper) alternatives? Push come to shove, I'll pay what it's worth, but I rely on your precious advice to avoid spending money on overpriced items.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member pasopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    soma double cross DC, giant reign
    Posts
    614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jandd expedition is another good choice. Only downside is that it is pretty heavy, although I think the surly is as well.

  3. #3
    Senior Member robow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,888
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this site. Lots of info on rear racks

    http://www.bicycleluggageracks.com/

    Recently I purchased the IRD Khyber aluminum and am happy with it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cedar City, UT
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Blackburn Expedition on my until I switched it for a no-name aluminum rack that's similar, but an inch longer. The Blackburn looked fine to me, the Tail Rider is marketed as "Ideal for any rear mount rack," and the rack has been sold as a touring rack for a long time, so (getting speculative here) I would expect not to have heel strike with it, especially on a touring frame.

    Of course, if you plan to carry a lot, go ahead and get the Nice Rack or the Jandd Expedition. I just don't think you ought to rule out the Blackburn.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmartineau View Post
    Hi,

    I'm looking for a rear rack to put on a LHT.

    I want something solid, preferably steel over aluminium but not an absolute must. Although I'll likely never overload it, I want something that'll be good for a long time and won't break if I carry a bag of firewood on a campsite, or other bulky items. I have Arkel Panniers (recent models with the new fastening system).

    Must haves:
    - Fits on a LHT
    - Solid
    - Not too narrow or too small so I can securely put a Arkel Pelican for day trips. (It's also annoying to attach that sort of bag on a narrow rack).
    - Compatible with recent Arkel panniers

    I've looked at:
    - Tubus Cargo (steel)
    - Surly Nice Rack (steel)
    - Blackburn expedition (alu)

    The problem with the Tubus racks is that I'm having a hard time to locate some in Montreal. For various reasons, I don't want to order out of the country and prefer to deal with local dealers.

    I've seen the Surly Nice Rack and it looks awful nice. It's a bit expensive though. Anyone have any experience with that rack? Is it worth the money?

    The Blackburn expedition, I don't like, mainly because it's tiny and will make my tail rider bag unstable. I also don't like the way it looks. I also don't like the fact that I need to pry it apart to fit it on my bike. Seems somewhat a bad idea because the rack will not be parallel to the frame and will put unnecessary stress on the bolts.

    Anyone have suggestions? Should I go with the Surly Nice Rack or do you have better (hopefully cheaper) alternatives? Push come to shove, I'll pay what it's worth, but I rely on your precious advice to avoid spending money on overpriced items.

    Thanks!
    Have you checked out "thetouringstore.com" for Tubus racks? Wayne provides an awesome service (two day delivery to Australia when I ordered) and his prices are very competitive. And in saying that, if you can try and get Tubus racks you won't go wrong. They are light and beautifully made and are probably
    the strongest on market.

  6. #6
    sth
    sth is offline
    Senior Member sth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Vancouver, Wet Coast
    Posts
    305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can vouch for the Surly Nice Rack. I have one on the rear of my rocket. It is sturdy, steel, very adjustible and capable of carrying a good load. It is on the heavy side I guess but not enough to worry about.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Montréal, QC (Canada)
    My Bikes
    2008 Surly LHT complete & 1988-ish fuglyfixed Specialized RockHopper
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StuckInMud View Post
    Have you checked out "thetouringstore.com" for Tubus racks? Wayne provides an awesome service (two day delivery to Australia when I ordered) and his prices are very competitive. And in saying that, if you can try and get Tubus racks you won't go wrong. They are light and beautifully made and are probably
    the strongest on market.
    Just did and I think we have a winner.

    The Surly was nice, but even if I ain't a weight weenie, that rack is way too heavy.

    The Tubus Cargo is solid (from what I read over and over in these forums) and reasonably light. and I love the fact that they put an extra hole for the mudguards. Nice touch. I'm emailing Wayne tonight and unless there's a showstopper, I'll order the Cargo tomorrow.

    iain.dalton: The Blackburn is a fine rack, just not what I'm looking for for my LHT - I really want a bigger platform. I'd put one on my city-commuter anytime though.

    Robow: great link, altough I got a "hey, what are you looking at?" from my girlfriend

    Thanks to everyone for your valuable input!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    N. California
    Posts
    1,410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for Tubus Cargo.

  9. #9
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a Tubus Cargo and Surly Nice front rack...both are very nice. The Tubus is a better design IMO [triangulated] and very light for its load capacity. I live in Canada and got my Tubus from Wayne at the touring store....very fast no hassles.

    If Tubus made a platform front rack like the Surly that's what I would have bought.
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  10. #10
    Getting older and slower
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    My Bikes
    Beat-up commuter, Chumba XCL for the dirt
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My old commute bike has a Topeak rack on it. I just ordered a Tubus Logo for my new LHT. The Logo just seems like it has a lot going for it - light, carries big loads, and lots of heel clearance for my clown shoes.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own the Jandd Expedition. It's heavy as a tank. As sturdy as one as well. Not sure how much the added weight affects bike speed (as compared to lighter ones), but I certainly like the 4" width of center of the rear platform. It acts like a rain fender of sorts. Anybody know how wide the center section is on the IRD Kyhber?

  12. #12
    GATC
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    south Puget Sound
    Posts
    6,609
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a tubus cargo on my lht and a surly nice rear rack on another bike. The surly absolutely fits the bike I have it on, but I far prefer the tubus cargo. Considering the price and weight of the surly, if I couldn't get a cargo, I'd be looking at the jandd.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Montréal, QC (Canada)
    My Bikes
    2008 Surly LHT complete & 1988-ish fuglyfixed Specialized RockHopper
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
    Considering the price and weight of the surly, if I couldn't get a cargo, I'd be looking at the jandd.
    Not sure what you mean.

    a) the LHT is heavy and it's not worth saving any weight
    or
    b) the LHT is heavy and I should avoid adding additional weight to an already heavy bike

    My philosophy is closer to b.

  14. #14
    GATC
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    south Puget Sound
    Posts
    6,609
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmartineau View Post
    Not sure what you mean.

    a) the LHT is heavy and it's not worth saving any weight
    or
    b) the LHT is heavy and I should avoid adding additional weight to an already heavy bike

    My philosophy is closer to b.
    Sorry, I was referring to the surly rack, not your surly bike. It's the most expensive and the heaviest rack of the ones discussed. If I couldn't get my first choice, a tubus cargo, at the places I shop, I wouldn't default to a surly rack, I'd look at a jandd which would probably weigh less and certainly cost less.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Montréal, QC (Canada)
    My Bikes
    2008 Surly LHT complete & 1988-ish fuglyfixed Specialized RockHopper
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
    Sorry, I was referring to the surly rack, not your surly bike. It's the most expensive and the heaviest rack of the ones discussed. If I couldn't get my first choice, a tubus cargo, at the places I shop, I wouldn't default to a surly rack, I'd look at a jandd which would probably weigh less and certainly cost less.
    Yeah, most expensive and heaviest is not a winning combo. I could live with either, but not both

  16. #16
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmartineau View Post
    Not sure what you mean.

    a) the LHT is heavy and it's not worth saving any weight
    or
    b) the LHT is heavy and I should avoid adding additional weight to an already heavy bike

    My philosophy is closer to b.
    The LHT is not particularly heavy, but I still wouldn't add heavy items to it if not necessary.
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Montréal, QC (Canada)
    My Bikes
    2008 Surly LHT complete & 1988-ish fuglyfixed Specialized RockHopper
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vik View Post
    The LHT is not particularly heavy, but I still wouldn't add heavy items to it if not necessary.
    Word.

  18. #18
    Senior Member robow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,888
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theranman View Post
    I own the Jandd Expedition. It's heavy as a tank. As sturdy as one as well. Not sure how much the added weight affects bike speed (as compared to lighter ones), but I certainly like the 4" width of center of the rear platform. It acts like a rain fender of sorts. Anybody know how wide the center section is on the IRD Kyhber?
    The center plate is 3" in width, 6" total width - outside to outside of the top tubes. It seems to be well made and not as heavy as the Jandd Expedition but almost same design and less expensive. Supposedly they have a stainless steel version but I haven't seen that for sale. Most IRD stuff is well thought out.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Thanks for the info, Robow. I'm glad I went with the Jandd; that extra inch makes for a better rain fender.

    2) If folks think the LHT is heavy, don't try lifting the Jamis Aurora...it's heavier.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •