Here are a few suggestions with maps -
No Calif -
1. Head north on Hwy 1 to Bodega Bat and inland along Russian River to Calistoga
2. If Lassen Park Road is closed, Hwy 32 to Susanville, A! around Eagle Lake, then Hwy 139
3. Back road option between Canby and Alturas
Fine, but remember its remote between Lakeview and Burns and on to Vale
I really think the route thru Stanley is MUCH nicer - done both.
When are you planning on doing this - cause the US 20 route roasts in mid-summer.
1. Hwy 52 to Letha, Payette Road north of river to Black Canyon, than back onto Hwy 52
2. Hwy 55 from Horseshoe to Banks is dicey, be very careful
3. Garden Valley Road to Lowman - camp right by hot springs east of Garden Valley
4. Hwy 21 to Stanley - climbs along Payette River - Sawtooth Mtns gorgeous!!!
5. Hwy 75 to Challis - downhill usually with tailwind along Salmon River
6. US 93 to Arco - valley between two high ranges
7a. - US 20/26 thru Idaho Falls, more traffic but services in I.F.
less climbing, Snake River Canyon in Wyoming
7b. - Hwy 33 thru Rexburg and Driggs, less traffic, big climb over Teton Pass
1. Make sure to take the Teton Park Road, not the main highway. Hiker/biker camping on Jenny Lake!
2. Pretty stiff climb into Yellowstone, late afternoon has less traffic and shade
3. I prefer Lewis Lake to Grant Village (a zoo) - you can always shower the next a.nm. at G.V.
4. Caution - no tent camping between Bridge Bay and 12 miles w. of Wapiti (grizzly habitat)
5. Ten Sleep route is much nicer - Hwy 30 to Basin, Hwy 31 to Nowood Road to Tensleep
Best - J
Sawtooth Mountains -