Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member carkmouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    319
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My computer stopped working

    I noticed today that my Cateye Enduro 8 computer didn't activate when I started rolling. I pressed the main button on it, and it turned on, yet when I started to move it remained at 0.00 mph on the speedometer.

    Is this somehow fixable, or is my computer shot? It came with the lightly-used LHT I got off Craigslist a few months ago.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Bacchusbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NOLA
    My Bikes
    '00 Bruce Gordon Rock and Road Tour, '01 Breezer Venturi, '97 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Pro, '87 GT Timberland, '82 Benotto single speed, '48 Schwinn Phantom, '71 Schwinn Pea Picker, '07 BFSSFGIRO
    Posts
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, since you don't really know the history of it, change the battery. That usually will get it back to normal. I have several of these, and when I know the battery's fresh, I double check to make sure that neither the magnet nor sensor have slipped, and then I slip it out of the harness, wipe the connections and slide it back in. This will usually take care of any minor issues.
    "Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." ~Mark Twain

  3. #3
    Senior Member GeorgeBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    1986 Hujsak, 2005 Bike Friday NWT, 2007 Surly LHT, 2008 Robert Beckman, Thorn Nomad MK2
    Posts
    298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops, I didn't see that the first reply mentioned the magnet/sensor -- that's my guess
    Last edited by GeorgeBaby; 05-19-08 at 08:41 PM. Reason: blind old fart didn't thoroughly read 1st reply

  4. #4
    bac
    bac is offline
    Senior Member bac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    Too many to list!
    Posts
    7,488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacchusbill View Post
    First, since you don't really know the history of it, change the battery. That usually will get it back to normal. I have several of these, and when I know the battery's fresh, I double check to make sure that neither the magnet nor sensor have slipped, and then I slip it out of the harness, wipe the connections and slide it back in. This will usually take care of any minor issues.
    Excellent advice! BTW, my money is on a misaligned magnet.

    ... Brad

  5. #5
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    36,666
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When was the last time you changed the battery?

  6. #6
    Left OZ now in Malaysia jibi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia
    My Bikes
    Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
    Posts
    826
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bac View Post
    Excellent advice! BTW, my money is on a misaligned magnet.

    ... Brad
    +1

    or too far away from receptor

    but if you bought it second hand, used. then it would not hurt to change batteries and reset everything, make sure the wheel size is correct etc

    george
    ---------------------------------------------------
    https://sites.google.com/site/imjibi/home

    Photos of present tour of South East Asia
    http://picasaweb.google.com/georgeidf50/southeastasia

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Montréal, QC (Canada)
    My Bikes
    2008 Surly LHT complete & 1988-ish fuglyfixed Specialized RockHopper
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carkmouch View Post
    I noticed today that my Cateye Enduro 8 computer didn't activate when I started rolling. I pressed the main button on it, and it turned on, yet when I started to move it remained at 0.00 mph on the speedometer.

    Is this somehow fixable, or is my computer shot? It came with the lightly-used LHT I got off Craigslist a few months ago.
    Can be:

    - Misaligned magnet (probably that as everyone pointed out)
    - Damaged wire
    - Bad electric connection in the cradle
    - Battery

    If the display still has good contrast, your battery is ok because that's what'll give out first.

  8. #8
    Senior Member carkmouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    319
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help, I managed to fix the problem. It turned out to be a misaligned magnet much to my relief, now that my computer is online again. It probably got that way from being stuffed in and out of a car last weekend.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •