Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member zeppinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Seoul, South Korea
    My Bikes
    Giant FCR3, Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,946
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Suggestions for my first touring trip?

    Hello, I have recently begun commuting to and from work/school and have discovered the wonders of cycling! Lately I have been ditching class just to go for rides. Been commuting about 10-20 miles a day depending on my schedule for about six months and I cant get enough of it! However, my original rig was bought with only commuting in mind. I ride an 07 Giant FRC with full fenders, read rack, and rear transit epic panniers. I would like to start touring sometime and eventually go across country. However, for my first tour I was not sure if i should just upgrade my current bike for a short trip from Sacramento to Seattle to see if I enjoy the sport, or if i should run out and buy a real touring bike? I have been looking at the Raleigh Sojourn because it is very pretty and i like the brooks saddle and all the other goodies. Though, a lot of my riding will still be commuting so i am not sure about bar end shifters... I also like the Fuji Touring a lot and my LBS has an 07 on sale for $600! I dont like the LHT because i am only 5'7" and dont want to have to use 26inch wheels, i like 700s much better. Any suggestions? Should i do a short tour with my hybrid or upgrade now? What would a good entry level touring bike cost me that would also be reasonable to commute with? My max brice for the bike is about $1,300.

  2. #2
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppinger View Post
    Hello, I have recently begun commuting to and from work/school and have discovered the wonders of cycling! Lately I have been ditching class just to go for rides. Been commuting about 10-20 miles a day depending on my schedule for about six months and I cant get enough of it! However, my original rig was bought with only commuting in mind. I ride an 07 Giant FRC with full fenders, read rack, and rear transit epic panniers. I would like to start touring sometime and eventually go across country. However, for my first tour I was not sure if i should just upgrade my current bike for a short trip from Sacramento to Seattle to see if I enjoy the sport, or if i should run out and buy a real touring bike? I have been looking at the Raleigh Sojourn because it is very pretty and i like the brooks saddle and all the other goodies. Though, a lot of my riding will still be commuting so i am not sure about bar end shifters... I also like the Fuji Touring a lot and my LBS has an 07 on sale for $600! I dont like the LHT because i am only 5'7" and dont want to have to use 26inch wheels, i like 700s much better. Any suggestions? Should i do a short tour with my hybrid or upgrade now? What would a good entry level touring bike cost me that would also be reasonable to commute with? My max brice for the bike is about $1,300.
    Be like the Nike add and 'Just Do It.' Ride to a friend's house and back the next day. That's a tour. Or ride to a campground or motel and back the next day. Start with what you have, and get new gear as you need or want it.

  3. #3
    This user is a pipebomb brotherdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2001, GT ZR3000 2001, Raleigh One Way 2007
    Posts
    401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it depends on how soon you are planning to go cross country. If you might head out next summer, it might be wise to upgrade now, before your tour from Seattle to Sacramento. If you aren't expecting to do a cross country type tour for several years, you might be better off waiting for a few seasons before investing in a major touring bike.

    I think you could probably get away with doing a cross country on your Giant with only a few modifications, if you were so inclined. I prefer drop handlebars, but you can really tour just fine on that bike.
    Bikes belong in the motor city

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sacramento to Seattle is a short trip?

    Oy!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your first touring trip can be as long as you like
    My first tour was a four month ride from Alaska to Panama
    The longest distance I biked before leaving on that trip was maybe 25 miles!
    If you have the will to do it and refuse to give up, I assure you that you'll manage just fine
    120 Days, 12000 Kilometers, 2 Wheels - Alaska to Panama for Charity - www.CyclingForACause.com

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've already got a bike that you clearly enjoy riding, and that's 99% of what selecting a touring bicycle is all about. You're all set! The $1,300 touring bikes are for rich fragile old people like me. (Wait; one of those adjectives doesn't apply . . .)

    The money you save finances half a dozen week-long tours that will otherwise never happen.

    I toured cross-country in college on two bikes (I wrecked the first one about halfway). The first cost $60, and the second was free (but I had to buy about $20 in parts to make it go). It was an absolutely fantastic adventure, but it probably wouldn't have happened if bikeforums.net existed back then -- I'd have developed the conviction that such a thing was impossible without the purchase of more equipment than the whole trip actually wound up costing.

  7. #7
    Senior Member neilfein's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Highland Park, NJ, USA
    My Bikes
    "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; Dahon Curve D3 folding bike; a green around-town cruiser; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB.
    Posts
    3,808
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brotherdan View Post
    I think it depends on how soon you are planning to go cross country. If you might head out next summer, it might be wise to upgrade now, before your tour from Seattle to Sacramento. If you aren't expecting to do a cross country type tour for several years, you might be better off waiting for a few seasons before investing in a major touring bike.
    +1. I leave for a tour in less than a week, and I'll be riding a bike I bought last week - not my choice, believe me. I'll be breaking it in on a 340 mile ride. I'm also switching to drop bars from flat bars at the same time. This is an extreme case, but I would have asked that car to dart in front of me maybe a few months earlier, if they were gonna do it anyway.

    I'm gonna be having the new-drivetrain blues real bad.
    Tour Journals, Blog, ride pix

    I'm in the celtic folk fusion band Baroque and Hungry. "Mended", our new full-length studio album, is now available for download.

  8. #8
    Senior Member zeppinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Seoul, South Korea
    My Bikes
    Giant FCR3, Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,946
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys, its good to know i dont have to spend a fortune to do my first tour! Anyone ever done a Seattle to northern Cali trip before? Route suggestions? What do you guys think a good gear ratio would be for that kinda of hilly tour? I just have the stock gears right now that came with the 07 Giant FCR3. I am 5'7" and 150 pounds. I usually pack pretty light but as it is, unloaded, it can sometime be hard to get up REALLY steep hills. Suggestions?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppinger View Post
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys, its good to know i dont have to spend a fortune to do my first tour! Anyone ever done a Seattle to northern Cali trip before? Route suggestions? What do you guys think a good gear ratio would be for that kinda of hilly tour? I just have the stock gears right now that came with the 07 Giant FCR3. I am 5'7" and 150 pounds. I usually pack pretty light but as it is, unloaded, it can sometime be hard to get up REALLY steep hills. Suggestions?
    Get this book, it outlines the trail turn by turn as well as neat stuff to do along the way
    http://www.amazon.com/Bicycling-Paci.../dp/0898869544

    As for the gearing, I'd leave it stock, the Pacific Coast of the United States is very flat compared to many other areas
    120 Days, 12000 Kilometers, 2 Wheels - Alaska to Panama for Charity - www.CyclingForACause.com

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Bikes
    BF NWT
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to do my first tour this summer, with my 76 year old father: The Fiver Rivers Trail in Germany: 200 miles in four or five days, depending on how good the beer is
    '07 Bike Friday New World Tourist www.TheMadBrewer.com

  11. #11
    family on bikes nancy sv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    on my bike between North and South
    My Bikes
    which one?
    Posts
    2,361
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree - just go. I've toured thousands of miles on just a standard mountain bike (just upgraded to a "real" touring bike and I"m sure how it'll work!). If you really like it, you'll have a better idea of exactly what you are looking for in a bike and will be able to make more educated decisions. Go and have fun!!!
    WE DID IT! Our little family of four cycled 17,300 miles from Alaska to Argentina! The trip of a lifetime for sure. www.familyonbikes.org

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    No certain place. Catch me when you can.
    My Bikes
    I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that noone's mentioned here... you bought the bike for short distance riding. When you bought it, was it fitted properly?? If not, you could have serious problems with discomfort on a long ride. Test it on a 50 mile ride (or whatever may be your average) one day before you leave to make sure there's no problems.
    I am the Forest Gump of biking.

  13. #13
    Senior Member zeppinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Seoul, South Korea
    My Bikes
    Giant FCR3, Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,946
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I was fitted for the bike when I bought it. I did not know much about bikes at the time which is why i decided to buy one new, knowing only that I didnt know how to fit myself! The longest ride I have done is 30 miles and the only comfort issue i got was from on my hands and have since bought a nice pair of riding gloves for that. Thanks for the input, i think i will take a weekend and load up the panniers with bricks or something and go for a nice long ride and see how everything holds together, great suggestion! That way i can also decide if I need to get different gearing for when i am loaded. As it is, I hardly ever use my biggest crank ring.... There are times when i could use it, but they are usually short downhills and its not worth shifting in and out most of the time, does that mean i have some room to go lower? when loaded i really wish i had about 2-3 extra low gears, is that a lot? How much weight should i be practicing with by the way?

  14. #14
    SRS
    SRS is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over a few weeks build up the gear weight to a value close to what you'll be carrying to Seattle. Gear weight is a very individual decision. Some get by with 30lbs or less and some of us tend to go a tad over board and tip the scales at much higher values. When you get to your anticipated gear weight go find a nice series of hills and see how your gearing works. I like lower gears than some. The low gears allow me to spin the cranks at a nice cadence (90 or so). This helps with endurance and knee comfort. The choice of gearing is like many things in bike touring (and life) and it is a personal decision - go with what you find to work for you. One benefit of doing some short trips before you head to Seattle is to learn what you like, what you don't like, what works and what doesn't work.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Montreal
    My Bikes
    Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
    Posts
    6,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could put on mountain bike chainrings at the front - 22 36 46 or 24 38 48. I dont know if this would require new cranks. This would allow you to make more use of the big chainring. The front derailler would have to be lowered to put it nearer the big ring, and the chain shortened. Bar ends would help for hand comfort, allowing you to change hand positions. Get a bag that hangs in front of the bars, so you can carry snacks that you can eat while riding - also your maps, camera and wallet.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A word to the wise - make sure your saddle is adjusted right. On my first tour, due to an improperly adjusted saddle (tilt was off) I compressed the blood vessels in certain...ahem..areas. It took 3 weeks for things to "uncompress." Definitely not cool.
    College degree. Good job. Big house. We all make mistakes.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Montréal, QC (Canada)
    My Bikes
    2008 Surly LHT complete & 1988-ish fuglyfixed Specialized RockHopper
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    A word to the wise - make sure your saddle is adjusted right. On my first tour, due to an improperly adjusted saddle (tilt was off) I compressed the blood vessels in certain...ahem..areas. It took 3 weeks for things to "uncompress." Definitely not cool.
    +1

    This is especially true with non leather saddles as they aren't as "slippery" as a leather one. You can stay on it even if it's badly tilted. The leather saddle won't let you do that as your arse will tend to slip forward or backward depending on the superfluous tilt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •