Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Mr. cost-benefit analysis
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Agua Dulce, CA
    My Bikes
    Surly Crosscheck Single Speed, Novara 9 speed commuter/runabout
    Posts
    437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Nashbar Elite Handlebar Bag

    Hi. Anybody tried this bag? http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...ndlebar%20Bags ? I know I can send it back if I don't like it. But I was wondering if there were any opinions here.

    Thanks. DanO

  2. #2
    Senior Member NeezyDeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether it sucks or not, I dunno (nashbar has a bad reputation with bags that I can attest to), but either way, wait until it's onsale, I've seen it at $15

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I returned mine a year ago because it wouldn't stay upright on my handlebars. It was so unstable that I never did a test ride with it; the bag would flop down as soon as I installed it.

    Ken

  4. #4
    Aging Gearhead
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Baja Georgia
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Against my better judgement to never by Nashbar softgoods again, I bought one for $19 a few months back. I've used it on my 25 mile daily commute regularly since then. It sags a little. It has detached once when I hopped a curb. The "waterproof" zippers only serve to make it ridiculously difficult to open and close since the fabric is merely "water resistant" and the stitching leaks like a sieve. The nut-and-bolt clamping the plastic mount to the handlebar pulled right through necessitating the use of fender washers. Other than that, I'd agree it's worth about $15.

  5. #5
    Mr. cost-benefit analysis
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Agua Dulce, CA
    My Bikes
    Surly Crosscheck Single Speed, Novara 9 speed commuter/runabout
    Posts
    437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. I can see how it's not necessarily good to have a big bag that holds a lot if the mounting system is wonky. How about this topeak http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...ndlebar%20Bags which is smaller... Perhaps more stable for it?

    Thanks again. DanO

  6. #6
    Spelling Snob Hobartlemagne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    My Bikes
    Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
    Posts
    2,863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that is elite, lets see what the regular kind looks like.

    The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!

  7. #7
    Senior Member staehpj1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Parkville, Md
    Posts
    7,694
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my story is different. I rode 73 days 4244 miles across the US on the TransAmerica with mine with no big complaints. It was overloaded and there were lots of rough roads. It held up fine other than a bit of sagging. I remedied the sagging after I was home by reinforcing the stiffeners inside (easy enough to do). Since then it probably has another 1500 miles of around town miles on it.

    It was waterproof enough for an hour of drizzle, but I always put a plastic bag over it if it really rained since it had my DSLR, lenses, cell phone and other stuff that I wanted to keep dry inside.

    Bottom line I thought it was a good buy.

    The zipper is a bit stiff when new, but loosens up with some use.

    BTW: I really like the Nashbar Waterproof panniers. We used 4 pairs of Nashbar bags and one of Performance bags on three bikes. They kept everything dry and don't really show any wear after the coast to coast ride. I did have to sew a couple of the Velcro tabs back on, but other than that they are still perfect.

  8. #8
    Senior Member staehpj1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Parkville, Md
    Posts
    7,694
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottomfeeder View Post
    OK. I can see how it's not necessarily good to have a big bag that holds a lot if the mounting system is wonky. How about this topeak http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...ndlebar%20Bags which is smaller... Perhaps more stable for it?

    Thanks again. DanO
    The other two riders on our TransAmerica used these and liked them quite well. I didn't use one because I wanted a large map pocket and my DSLR was too big for it. I think the only minor hassle they had was that it took a few seconds to switch over to fanny pack mode. That was handy at times even if you had to dig out the other piece of the belt every time.

    BTW on the Nashbar Elite the shoulder strap served a similar purpose. On tour it is nice to have an easy way to take the handlebar bag with you in a store or on a side hike since that is where the valuables go.

  9. #9
    Slow Rider bwgride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    811
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottomfeeder View Post
    Hi. Anybody tried this bag? http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...ndlebar%20Bags ? I know I can send it back if I don't like it. But I was wondering if there were any opinions here.

    Thanks. DanO
    I have this bag and found the bag to be fine, but the mounting system I did not like. I provide more details on how I corrected it here:

    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...22#post7092222

  10. #10
    __________ seeker333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,698
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toodman View Post
    Against my better judgement to never by Nashbar softgoods again, I bought one for $19 a few months back. I've used it on my 25 mile daily commute regularly since then. It sags a little. It has detached once when I hopped a curb. The "waterproof" zippers only serve to make it ridiculously difficult to open and close since the fabric is merely "water resistant" and the stitching leaks like a sieve. The nut-and-bolt clamping the plastic mount to the handlebar pulled right through necessitating the use of fender washers. Other than that, I'd agree it's worth about $15.
    My experience also. I had to use pliers to grip the zipper pull to get it open, then used some silicon on the zipper and it was still nearly impossible to open.

    I figured I'd end up ripping it off the bar mount just trying to open it. Sent it back, even though I only paid ~20 bucks for it.

    Also, the map pocket had no seal whatsoever.

    A lot of stuff Nashbar sells is like this bag - looks good, price is unbelievable, and product is borderline functional.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •