Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-21-08, 06:48 PM   #1
Mr. Jim
Bike Nerd
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Mid- Michigan
Bikes: mid 80's Fuji Supreme (commuter), LeRun unicycle thingy Raleigh Centrurion
Posts: 575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question on Performance Bike transit Panniers

These arrived for me today, going on a four day trip this weekend. However the directions indicate a left and a right pannier, I can find no difference or marking for either side. It doesn't seem to make any difference but can anyone who has these confirm this?

thanks
Mr. Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-08, 06:51 PM   #2
txvintage
Tilting with windmills
 
txvintage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Texas 'Burbs
Bikes: Many
Posts: 4,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't help you out with your question, but am looking forward to hearing your report after your ride.

The sale on them right now makes them very attractive for short home based trips, at the very least.
txvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-08, 07:40 PM   #3
seeker333
__________
 
seeker333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Bikes: yes!
Posts: 3,168
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
mount them so that they interfere with your feet in the least amount

if its got only one side pocket, mount so that pocket is in rear
seeker333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-08, 08:08 PM   #4
Mr. Jim
Bike Nerd
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Mid- Michigan
Bikes: mid 80's Fuji Supreme (commuter), LeRun unicycle thingy Raleigh Centrurion
Posts: 575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No pockets, tabs for flashers front and back, i got the front and back sets given the sale they had and i caught a 20% off day also so I got front and backs and set of Forte campus pedals shipped for $130
Mr. Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 05:30 AM   #5
bktourer1
Senior Member
 
bktourer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Western Ma.
Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just saw the bags and it looked like the reflective strips have a slot for rear lights. The rears have a vertical pocket. I have the Transits from 5 years ago and I like them better than the new. They only thing I did was mount the Arkel mounts on the rear bags and chage the hooks on the front as they never attached well to the
Transit racks. I have used the Transit racks and found the rear too small.

Ed
bktourer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 06:45 AM   #6
staehpj1 
Senior Member
 
staehpj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 8,897
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jim View Post
These arrived for me today, going on a four day trip this weekend. However the directions indicate a left and a right pannier, I can find no difference or marking for either side. It doesn't seem to make any difference but can anyone who has these confirm this?

thanks
I think mine had a piece of webbing for a blinkie in the back and also a little zipped pocket on the back.

The bags worked out well and i found them to hold up well over the summer on the TA.

I have one piece of advice:
Do not over tighten the strap that attaches them to the rack it is a bear to release if pulled too tight.
staehpj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 07:00 AM   #7
tate65
crash survivor
 
tate65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Irving, TX
Bikes: C-dale rush, Mountain cycle fury, Monocog 29er, Haro hard tail VX, Scattante R330
Posts: 654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last year one of the guys in our ride had a set, they fell off twice (at intersections wit lots of traffic) both times due to failure of the tie downs, and at abut 500 miles in the bolts that hold the top clips pulled though the plastic back on the inside and tore the nylon. We fixed it with a beer top washer we made, flattened 2 beer lids, awled holes in them, put them back together.
tate65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 08:52 AM   #8
Mr. Jim
Bike Nerd
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Mid- Michigan
Bikes: mid 80's Fuji Supreme (commuter), LeRun unicycle thingy Raleigh Centrurion
Posts: 575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by staehpj1 View Post
I think mine had a piece of webbing for a blinkie in the back and also a little zipped pocket on the back.

The bags worked out well and i found them to hold up well over the summer on the TA.

I have one piece of advice:
Do not over tighten the strap that attaches them to the rack it is a bear to release if pulled too tight.
Mine have no pockets and webbing for blinkies on both sides, I am thinking it doesn't matter.
Mr. Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 09:34 AM   #9
staehpj1 
Senior Member
 
staehpj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 8,897
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jim View Post
Mine have no pockets and webbing for blinkies on both sides, I am thinking it doesn't matter.
Are you talking about the waterproof ones? If so ignore my comments about the anchor strap. My group used a mix of Nashbar waterproof and the Transit Pro. I think the Nashbar Waterproof and the Transit Waterproof are identical. If so I don't think there is a difference between left and right. Both types held up well for us on our TransAmerica last Summer.
staehpj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 12:32 PM   #10
Mr. Jim
Bike Nerd
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Mid- Michigan
Bikes: mid 80's Fuji Supreme (commuter), LeRun unicycle thingy Raleigh Centrurion
Posts: 575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by staehpj1 View Post
Are you talking about the waterproof ones? If so ignore my comments about the anchor strap. My group used a mix of Nashbar waterproof and the Transit Pro. I think the Nashbar Waterproof and the Transit Waterproof are identical. If so I don't think there is a difference between left and right. Both types held up well for us on our TransAmerica last Summer.
Yes they seem to be the same bags, and thanks for the clarification, your comments on the tearing had me worried, bags seem strong and durable.
Mr. Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:36 AM.