Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-27-08, 06:37 PM   #1
IvanK-
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know what this thingie is?

Out of idle curiosity....

If you look at the picture (see link) of the Aurora, you'll see what appears to be a small v shaped metal hanger sticking out of the front of the fork, just below the head tube. It appears to be held in with a nut on the downtube side of the fork. Any idea what this thingie does? It's pronbably something obvious and a noob question, but I've never seen one on another bike.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/.../08aurora.html

Thanks for any enlightenment. Maybe I should have posted this in the mechanics forum....dunno.

Thanks.
IvanK- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 07:00 PM   #2
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
Posts: 7,594
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Might just be a fender attachment point
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 07:40 PM   #3
dcullen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like a hanger for the straddle cable of the cantilever brakes. Prevents the arms from unwinding while the brakes are released to get the wheel out. (They tend to flop around and then interfere with getting the wheel back in the fork)
dcullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 08:10 PM   #4
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget
 
Bacciagalupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought it's more a guide than a hanger. Mechanically, the pivot point is at the top of the yoke, right?

Anyway, they're standard with center-pull / cantilever brakes. The rear brake has a similar setup, it's just in a straight line from the rest of the brake cable so it's not as noticeable.

Cantis aren't very common these days, since they don't have as much stopping power as V's or calipers. However, they're common on touring & cross bikes, since (if I understand it correctly) they work well with road brake levers, shed mud well, and can handle very wide rims.
Bacciagalupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 09:33 PM   #5
IvanK-
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the answers, all.
IvanK- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 10:07 PM   #6
cachehiker
Soma Lover
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Logan, UT
Bikes: one bike for every day of the week
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought it was just a bolt holding the government mandated front reflector that you won't need because you either don't ride at night or have a good headlight like most of the rest of us.

Last edited by cachehiker; 08-27-08 at 10:34 PM.
cachehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 11:47 AM   #7
n4zou
Scott
 
n4zou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 2,393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Straddle cable safety hook. If you break the cable the safety hook prevents the straddle cable from dropping onto the tire and catching the tire, sending you over the handlebar.
n4zou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 11:55 AM   #8
Cone Wrench
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
Posts: 730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4zou View Post
Straddle cable safety hook. If you break the cable the safety hook prevents the straddle cable from dropping onto the tire and catching the tire, sending you over the handlebar.

Bingo!
Cone Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 01:07 PM   #9
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 18,313
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cone Wrench View Post
Bingo!
And something that almost never happens...although 43 people will now say that it happened to a 4th cousin of a friend of the mother of the lady how drives a bus for the 3rd kid named Sarah in a kindergarten that has a play date with the aunt of a goat herder in Sudan.
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 03:06 PM   #10
cachehiker
Soma Lover
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Logan, UT
Bikes: one bike for every day of the week
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Aurora didn't come with one and I have yet to break my neck without it.
cachehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 04:38 PM   #11
kknh3
Senior Member
 
kknh3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: St. Charles, MO
Bikes: Schwinn High Plains, Trek 750 Multi-Track, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn High Sierra
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I bet someone somewhere either won a lawsuit or received a nice settlement for one of the rare times this has happened. Therefore, something has to be done to prevent it happening again in our litigatous society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
And something that almost never happens...although 43 people will now say that it happened to a 4th cousin of a friend of the mother of the lady how drives a bus for the 3rd kid named Sarah in a kindergarten that has a play date with the aunt of a goat herder in Sudan.
kknh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 01:31 PM   #12
blindman10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Bikes: Jamis Aurora
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 07 Aurora has one of those...and now I know why! Also made fender attachment a bit easier.
blindman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-08, 06:56 PM   #13
IvanK-
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the info. Makes sense that there isn't one on the back since if the brake arm was to go into the rear wheel, it would just cause a skid. On the front, in the unlikely case this happened you'd be pulling a superman.
IvanK- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-08, 08:44 PM   #14
Monoborracho
Senior Member
 
Monoborracho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Deep In The Heart
Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga
Posts: 2,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4zou View Post
Straddle cable safety hook. If you break the cable the safety hook prevents the straddle cable from dropping onto the tire and catching the tire, sending you over the handlebar.
+1....prevents an endo
__________________
Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman
Monoborracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-08, 09:20 PM   #15
NoReg
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Except if you have fenders or a rack etc... you are probably covered for that kind of rare occurence anyway. It does seem like the kind of thing that if one was really worried about it, one would be better investing that weight in a redesign of the brake straddle.
NoReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-08, 12:09 AM   #16
seeker333
__________
 
seeker333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Bikes: yes!
Posts: 3,168
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpan1 View Post
Except if you have fenders or a rack etc... you are probably covered for that kind of rare occurence anyway. It does seem like the kind of thing that if one was really worried about it, one would be better investing that weight in a redesign of the brake straddle.
Yes, exactly. Get rid of the single wire straddle, use 2 wire style.
seeker333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-08, 11:48 AM   #17
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER
 
CardiacKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Austin
Bikes:
Posts: 2,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kknh3 View Post
I bet someone somewhere either won a lawsuit or received a nice settlement for one of the rare times this has happened. Therefore, something has to be done to prevent it happening again in our litigatous society.
It is interesting to think that a safety feature on anything automatically has to be a result of a lawsuit, as opposed to standard engineering practices. That is a sad comment on the state of engineering. Just because we don't know anyone that ever was injured from their brake cable breaking, doesn't mean it is a bad thing to try and prevent it from happening.
On the other hand, I know 2 people who had their house burn down when their Ford F150 spontaneously combusted, due to a defective cruise control switch, yet it took Ford 5 years to fix the problem. They actually continued to install the defective switch for several years, until enough lawsuits were filed by the peoples Homeowners Insurance companies.
Exactly how many people do you believe need to be injured before a company fixes a problem? Would you rather go back to the Pinto model of engineering: it would cost $100,000,000 million to fix the problem and it will only cost $50,000,000 to pay off the families of the people who are burned to death?
CardiacKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-08, 12:47 AM   #18
stevage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009
Posts: 1,488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
>That is a sad comment on the state of engineering. Just because we don't know anyone that ever was injured from their brake cable breaking, doesn't mean it is a bad thing to try and prevent it from happening.

An ugly chunk of metal whose sole purpose is to mitigate the effects of a freak brake cable failure doesn't strike me as elegant engineering.

Steve
stevage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-08, 01:14 AM   #19
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
If your bike has cantis and no front fender that little safety hook becomes an essential component... you may never need it but in the event your front cable snaps or slips you will probably appreciate it geatly.

As far as engineering goes... it's a marvelous thing.

It weighs very little, has no moving parts, costs next to nothing, and does exactly what it is supposed to do when it needs to do it.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-08, 06:33 AM   #20
Pompiere
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NW Ohio
Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1989 Club Fuji, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood
Posts: 1,796
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
My first bike with cantilevers, a Schwinn Sierra, had a warning in the owner's manual not to remove the front reflector bracket for that reason.
Pompiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-08, 11:32 AM   #21
gmacdermid
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Norco Monterey, Devinci Destination
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The safety hook makes sense to me. Even if the accident is rare, it seems negligent to not address it with a simple device. On most bikes you can remove it if you find it 'inelegant'. On some bikes you can attach a reflector to it.
gmacdermid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-08, 10:02 PM   #22
stevage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009
Posts: 1,488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok, I'm going to have to take a closer look.

Steve
stevage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 08:47 AM   #23
cachehiker
Soma Lover
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Logan, UT
Bikes: one bike for every day of the week
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacKid View Post
It is interesting to think that a safety feature on anything automatically has to be a result of a lawsuit, as opposed to standard engineering practices. That is a sad comment on the state of engineering. Just because we don't know anyone that ever was injured from their brake cable breaking, doesn't mean it is a bad thing to try and prevent it from happening.
On the other hand, I know 2 people who had their house burn down when their Ford F150 spontaneously combusted, due to a defective cruise control switch, yet it took Ford 5 years to fix the problem. They actually continued to install the defective switch for several years, until enough lawsuits were filed by the peoples Homeowners Insurance companies.
Exactly how many people do you believe need to be injured before a company fixes a problem? Would you rather go back to the Pinto model of engineering: it would cost $100,000,000 million to fix the problem and it will only cost $50,000,000 to pay off the families of the people who are burned to death?
I personally consider the F150 and the Pinto to be poor analogues to the basic straddle cable failure. It's like blaming a crash on Ford because a driver never bothered to have their brakes inspected or brake pads replaced. Or how about blaming the crash on Ford because you had the brake pads replaced by some 16 year old halfwit at Walmart who overtightened some bolt to the point where it sheared off? Even V-brakes, caliper brakes, and mechanical disc brakes are prone to failure should the cable be compressed to the point where the individual strands begin breaking.

My brakes receive and deserve constant attention as do the brakes on all bicycles. Fraying cables and worn pads are replaced immediately. There's nothing wrong with the basic cantilever brake setup if it's performed properly and subsequently maintained. It's a sad state of affairs when individuals can sue the manufacturer because of poor assembly and maintenance practices. Jamis bikes are not sold by Walmart, nor are the majority of them purchased for casual, family rides around the neighborhood. They shouldn't be required to include such idiot proofing for fear of litigation.
cachehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 09:57 AM   #24
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachehiker View Post

My brakes receive and deserve constant attention as do the brakes on all bicycles. Fraying cables and worn pads are replaced immediately. There's nothing wrong with the basic cantilever brake setup if it's performed properly and subsequently maintained. It's a sad state of affairs when individuals can sue the manufacturer because of poor assembly and maintenance practices. Jamis bikes are not sold by Walmart, nor are the majority of them purchased for casual, family rides around the neighborhood. They shouldn't be required to include such idiot proofing for fear of litigation.
I don;t know if the idiot proofing is there for litigation purposes or simply because someone recognized that you have to be prepared for whatever might go wrong.

I had my first ever cable failure this summer and it did not fail at the (front) brake but rather, snapped at the lever due to what must have been a manufacturing fault.

My bikes are professionally serviced and maintained (by me) and if I was running a canti without a fender or reflector to serve as a safety hook, I'd install one.

Just in case.

If a product or poorly assembled or maintained and causes a safety issue then a company or individual should be deemed liable for any injuries or damage the shoddy work may cause.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 10:10 AM   #25
staehpj1 
Senior Member
 
staehpj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 8,897
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kknh3 View Post
I bet someone somewhere either won a lawsuit or received a nice settlement for one of the rare times this has happened. Therefore, something has to be done to prevent it happening again in our litigatous society.
I would tend to think that is the reason.

Personally, I'd take it off if it were my bike. It just isn't all that likely for a cable to break AND for the straddle cable to fall down AND for it to catch on the tire AND actually lock the wheel.
staehpj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:14 AM.