I haven't bothered anyone on this forum,yet
So........my quest for the perfect commuting bike continues.
I have thought about using a touring bike.
Why, you might ask?
Durability and stability........fenders and racks.........wide tires and winter studded tires
So, if you have seen other posts you know that I am thinking about a ss bike and have been considering cyclocross bikes-durability and wide tires........I want a cromoly frame.
My LBS has a Fuji touring bike and this one has rear horizontal drops.......
1. Any other touring bikes with horizontal rear drops?
2. what are the widest tires touring bikes can use? I am thinking about 35-38 with studs for the wintuh, ayuh, yessuh, heya in Maine.
3. has anyone converted a touring bike to a ss?
4. Have always wanted to do some more bike touring-who knows could always start..........
That's it for now.
1) Most bikes over 10 years old, including my Miyata tourers, have horizontal drops. They work great.
2) Yes, you can fit 35mm + fenders on some dedicated tourers, the LHT included.
3) I'm sure they have. I wouldn't do it though. Gears are more versatile and with almost no trade off.
4) not a question
The Surly Cross Check has horizontal drop outs, is cro moly and can be fit with racks and wide tires.