Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member jchabalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    700c Wheelset question

    I figured you guys might have a good answer to this. The Mavic site really leaves a lot to be desired data wise and i'm at the tail end of planning my build.

    The bike is a randoneering/touring bike. I'm going to be running a 700c wheelset with 135mm rear drop (100mm front) with Avid BB7 (road) disc brakes.

    I'm having trouble selecting a rim. I'm looking for all black (no machined braking surface) in a 36 hole drilling.

    I'm shooting for durability here. The TN719 has been suggested as an all black rim as i can't find an all black A719. Does anybody have an positive or negative experiences with the TN719 used in non-mountain bike ways, or any other good rim suggestions?

    I'm not dead set on mavic either, they've just always been given positive reviews for touring/randoneering.

    - Disc Brakes so no machined side-wall
    - 36 hole drilling
    - 700c x 28 (possibly 700c x 32 (up to a 35))

    thanks for any feedback!

  2. #2
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,089
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were in the market for a good wheelset, I would look to Peter White's site for some good suggestions.
    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/wheels.asp

  3. #3
    Newbie sounds about right
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really want durability go with a Kris Holm unicycle rim, they come in black 36 hole, but are rim brake capable. Though at 38mm wide I do believe they are wider than your tires which might pose a problem. Ok enough with the jokes.

    Velocity VXC should in theory be available 36H in black. Halo Freedom are probably too heavy/wide for your use. Velocity Blunt is also too wide I would think. Stan's ZTR Flow is another available in 36H but probably too wide. Sorry I think all my mountain bike rim knowledge is generally useless for you.

    Another idea is the DT Swiss TK 7.1, but I'm not sure if all the disc only and 36H can be combined in one version.

    Good luck in your search.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I built up a pair of Mavic A317 Discs (disc, 700c, 36H) on my commuter / touring rig. I love them to death. I have been riding them with 28's...

    http://stankertanker.blogspot.com/

  5. #5
    Senior Member rockpilex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Whitefish, MT
    My Bikes
    TREK 520, CANNONDALE R800 FIXED, 1954 SCHWINN TIGER, 1963 SPACELINER
    Posts
    86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about the Velocity Dyad, 700cX24mm 36h non-machined black
    Last edited by rockpilex; 10-23-08 at 08:57 PM. Reason: added content

  6. #6
    Tinkerer since 1980 TheBrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    London
    My Bikes
    Coppi racer, Old school BMX, some random a fixed wheel convertion
    Posts
    922
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be an overkill but being as you are running disk halo freedom disk come in black. They are nice and very strong though. Narrowest tyre you can fit is a 28 mm.
    Travelling without inertia

    London's single speed and fixed gear forum

    http://www.londonfgss.com/

    Lets make this happen.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Longmont, CO
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany, Giant OCR Tourting, Co-Motion Tandem
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jchabalk View Post
    I figured you guys might have a good answer to this. The Mavic site really leaves a lot to be desired data wise and i'm at the tail end of planning my build.

    The bike is a randoneering/touring bike. I'm going to be running a 700c wheelset with 135mm rear drop (100mm front) with Avid BB7 (road) disc brakes.

    I'm having trouble selecting a rim. I'm looking for all black (no machined braking surface) in a 36 hole drilling.

    I'm shooting for durability here. The TN719 has been suggested as an all black rim as i can't find an all black A719. Does anybody have an positive or negative experiences with the TN719 used in non-mountain bike ways, or any other good rim suggestions?

    I'm not dead set on mavic either, they've just always been given positive reviews for touring/randoneering.

    - Disc Brakes so no machined side-wall
    - 36 hole drilling
    - 700c x 28 (possibly 700c x 32 (up to a 35))

    thanks for any feedback!
    It has been a couple of years but some things don't change much. I am in a very similar situation... wanting to make the right choice between Mavic's A719, A317 and A319. Like you I plan to use disk brakes so I don't need the nicely machined brake surfaces of the A319. I do plan to use 32 or 35 tires more than 28s as my main uses is credit card touring and riding dirt roads in winter. The A317 is a bit lighter than the either of the others so would be inclined to go for that choice unless one of the others is less likely to give me grief. Both the 317 & 319 have double eyelets so that isn't a tie breaker. All are "bombproof" per the Mavic website. The A719 is touted on the Mavic website as the "benchmark" but I can't find a reason why other than it costs more.

    Any help in making my choice would be appreciated. Would also consider non-Mavic competitive products.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil, '83 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Posts
    1,289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd stick to eyelets myself, double preferred. I know lots of people use the Dyad, but no matter how you spin it, no eyelets are a cost cutting measure. Sure, any rim can crack, but for some reason I hear more about Velocity's cracking than any other rim.

    Your pickin's are slim, maybe a Alex TD17 Disc rim would do.

    Velocity VXC disc rims.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    My Bikes
    Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB
    Posts
    5,069
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in the same situation and went with the Velocity Synergy OC, but they do have a machine sidewall. OC drilling means spoke tension is surprisingly even between the drive and non-drive side spokes.

  10. #10
    Senior Member jcbryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beautiful SW Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, C-Dale Superbe Pro, Fuji Roubaix
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a set of Dyads on both the commuter and the Tourer. Love them. Went to the Velocity brand after the top-hands at Mavic wouldn't warranty any of the THREE I had crack at the holes. Velocity customer service has always been good to answer my questions too. Have several friend swear how good the Alex's are also.

    Quote Originally Posted by Garthr View Post
    I'd stick to eyelets myself, double preferred. I know lots of people use the Dyad, but no matter how you spin it, no eyelets are a cost cutting measure. Sure, any rim can crack, but for some reason I hear more about Velocity's cracking than any other rim.

    Your pickin's are slim, maybe a Alex TD17 Disc rim would do.

    Velocity VXC disc rims.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Longmont, CO
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany, Giant OCR Tourting, Co-Motion Tandem
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garthr View Post
    I'd stick to eyelets myself, double preferred. I know lots of people use the Dyad, but no matter how you spin it, no eyelets are a cost cutting measure. Sure, any rim can crack, but for some reason I hear more about Velocity's cracking than any other rim.

    Your pickin's are slim, maybe a Alex TD17 Disc rim would do.

    Velocity VXC disc rims.
    I am finding Alex TD17 rims for $25 and even less! Still hoping for someone with Mavic knowledge to differentiate between the three Mavic models.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil, '83 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Posts
    1,289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longmont_Tom View Post
    I am finding Alex TD17 rims for $25 and even less! Still hoping for someone with Mavic knowledge to differentiate between the three Mavic models.

    The A719 rims have the greatest load capacity of their rims. They are welded at the joint as opposed the A319's being pinned. Welded joints may or may not be better, but in Mavic case I'd say probably. The intention is a smoother joint... which equals better braking surface. ..... if it's done well. Mavic's do it well in my experience.

    Weather or not $25 per rim is worth it is up to each the individual. Considering rims are a long term investment, at least for most of us ..... I'd just get the A719's based on my previous experience with Mavic T519 welded rims, using canti's that is.

    The A317 Disc rim is pinned, as a smooth braking surface doesn't matter.

    All 3 tires take up to 47mm tires, though I'm sure it can do wider ones at lower pressure.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •