Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2009 Cannondale T1

I just looked at Cannondale website and was impressed by the 09 T1....The paint job and leather Seat and Bar wrap give it a Raleigh Sojourn look. The specs indicate aluminum frame......lighter weight but set up for touring...sounds pretty cool.

Has anyone actually see this bike?....any thoughts about?

Thanks

steve

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The touring 2 has a much more sensible spec for touring. The gearing and component choices make more sense and it is a lot cheaper as well.

The touring 1 might work out well if you travel light in relatively flat terrain.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Killer-V 900 (Mountain), Jamis Aurora (Touring)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, the T2 has a better gear ratio for touring. The T1 will only be good for very flat terrain. You can upgrade the seat yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T1 has better wheels and running components. Bike shop should be willing to work out a swap out deal on crankset for lower gearing.

I'd check to see if you like the BB height and top tube length for fit compared to whatever else you're contemplating.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reiffert View Post
    T1 has better wheels and running components. Bike shop should be willing to work out a swap out deal on crankset for lower gearing.

I'd check to see if you like the BB height and top tube length for fit compared to whatever else you're contemplating.
    I don't think the other choices are ideal for touring. 10 speed is a bit more finicky and less durable. It does have better rims and butted spokes, but the touring 2 is quite adequate. I am not convinced that the choices of higher end parts offer any advantage in this case.

Overall the Touring 2 is just a better tourer at a lower price.

Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by staehpj1 View Post
    I don't think the other choices are ideal for touring. 10 speed is a bit more finicky and less durable. It does have better rims and butted spokes, but the touring 2 is quite adequate. I am not convinced that the choices of higher end parts offer any advantage in this case.

Overall the Touring 2 is just a better tourer at a lower price.
    +1 The T1 may have fancier stuff but the T2 has a better selection. The rear derailer on the T2 is more capable, the front derailer is a hidden gem and the gear selection is better. Cannondale could have chosen better to make the T1 a better touring bike but they got caught up in the racer mentality. Pity.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've probably jumped at some conclusions. The orig. poster didn't say anything about age, fitness, budget, or type of touring planned.

The gearing is actually lower than what many 'old school' touring bikes were fitted with. I've plenty of miles of loaded for camping touring on the old half-step+granny - 47/52 with a 34 or 36 'granny' - on a 13-27 freewheel. But that was in my mid-30's, I wouldn't want to do that now. Our orig poster may well be a youngster and that 30-50 crankset would be fine.

There are lots of 10sp chain/cassettes running on tandems - with 2x the power and more weight than a touring bike to pull over the same hills we do, if there were really major issues, they'd be pretty obvious by now.

'Has anyone actually see this bike?'
    I'm riding the '07 equivalent - for awhile I ran 28 mm tires on it and the ride smoothness was virtually the same as my 531 tubed Trek touring 720. The Cannondale has no bottom bracket flex, no steering flex in the front forks when loaded, making it a very stable and comfortable ride. I'd buy it again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
    +1 The T1 may have fancier stuff but the T2 has a better selection. The rear derailer on the T2 is more capable, the front derailer is a hidden gem and the gear selection is better. Cannondale could have chosen better to make the T1 a better touring bike but they got caught up in the racer mentality. Pity.
    In looking at the specs, I'm betting the T1 has 130mm dropout spacing, and the T2 has 135mm spacing.
    I agree; I'd pick the T2.

Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
    In looking at the specs, I'm betting the T1 has 130mm dropout spacing, and the T2 has 135mm spacing.
    I agree; I'd pick the T2.
    Both use LX hubs. Probably a 132.5mm dropout spacing.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

Professional Fuss-Budget Bacciagalupe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree the gearing on the T2 is better, but the LBS should be willing to swap out the T1 to lower gears at no additional cost.

I prefer the paint job & decals on the 07 T2000.....