Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Biking 4 Life vja4Him's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Modesto, California
    My Bikes
    27-speed Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009; 18-speed Mongoose Switchback (1990); 21-speed Electra Townie (2008)
    Posts
    654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bob Yak or Bob Ibex ... ???

    I'm trying to decide which trailer I should get. Either the Bob Yak, or the Bob Ibex ... ???

    I need the trailer for grocery shopping, and also for camping. I've read reviews concerning problems with the Ibex, like the adjustable shocks, and the bushings .....

  2. #2
    Older than dirt CCrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Yak. It's done everything I need so far, only thing I haven't tried is cross-country.

    -R

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vja4Him View Post
    I'm trying to decide which trailer I should get. Either the Bob Yak, or the Bob Ibex ... ???

    I need the trailer for grocery shopping, and also for camping. I've read reviews concerning problems with the Ibex, like the adjustable shocks, and the bushings .....
    In 2006 I bicycled between Cairns and Darwin along paved and mostly dirt roads. I used an IBEX, purchased because it was a bit more robust than the YAK. It was very sturdy and never gave me a lick of trouble in spite of driving about 1200 km on dirt roads coupled with fording bridgeless river crossings in Queensland and NT.

    I especially like the gussets giving the frame more strength than the YAK. Due to it's shape and non-collapsability, it is an expensive PITA proposition to pack for travel along with a touring bike.

  4. #4
    Older than dirt CCrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that it makes a *huge* difference, but the Ibex is also 4lbs heavier than the Yak.

  5. #5
    Biking 4 Life vja4Him's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Modesto, California
    My Bikes
    27-speed Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009; 18-speed Mongoose Switchback (1990); 21-speed Electra Townie (2008)
    Posts
    654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmac100 View Post
    In 2006 I bicycled between Cairns and Darwin along paved and mostly dirt roads. I used an IBEX, purchased because it was a bit more robust than the YAK. It was very sturdy and never gave me a lick of trouble in spite of driving about 1200 km on dirt roads coupled with fording bridgeless river crossings in Queensland and NT.

    I especially like the gussets giving the frame more strength than the YAK. Due to it's shape and non-collapsability, it is an expensive PITA proposition to pack for travel along with a touring bike.
    I didn't know that the frame on the Ibex was more sturdy. Now I need to find a shorter rear fender. Seems that the full length fender on my bike will interfer with the Ibex.

  6. #6
    Older than dirt CCrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vja4Him View Post
    I didn't know that the frame on the Ibex was more sturdy. Now I need to find a shorter rear fender. Seems that the full length fender on my bike will interfer with the Ibex.
    I'm not sure it is sturdier. My Yak is realitively new, and it is gusseted. As to the fender, you can change the front "fork" on the trailer to one that accomodates fenders. Bob sells several versions.

  7. #7
    Caffeinated. Camel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    My Bikes
    Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept
    Posts
    1,541
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vja4Him View Post
    I'm trying to decide which trailer I should get. Either the Bob Yak, or the Bob Ibex ... ???.....
    Neither, get an Extrawheel trailer. Which one? I don't know.

    -Hi! Just being a bit "snarky".

    Have you considered other trailers, or are you now set on BOB?

    I don't have any trailer, but would like to get one.
    mmmm coffeee!

    email: jfoneg (_"a t symbol thing"_) yahoo (_"period or dot"_) com

  8. #8
    Senior Member MNBikeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Bikes
    05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1
    Posts
    1,834
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Yak and it did well on several long distance tours. I'd get the Ibex only if you are planning long distances off road/ trails. The added weight / suspension of the Ibex is supposed to provide a bit more stability and prevent some wheel hop, but from what I've seen is not worth the extra money.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    - Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    I live in Montgomery, Alabama.
    My Bikes
    Cervelo RS; Marin 29er; Masi; Gary Fisher MB
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only seen the advertisements about the product, but I like the Extra Wheel. If anyone has one, I would like to know what they think.

  10. #10
    Caffeinated. Camel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    My Bikes
    Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept
    Posts
    1,541
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ilike3bikes View Post
    I have only seen the advertisements about the product, but I like the Extra Wheel. If anyone has one, I would like to know what they think.
    NancySUV had one and wrote up a wonderfull review of it. She explains both the good and bad points, and her explanation for discontinuing it's use on her families current tour. (Try the search function here? Or perhaps on her families blog?)

    One dude cycled the Chaning Stock Route with one (I think there's a link to his site from the extra-wheel site?)

    They also supposedly have a new version out which you can hang panniers directly to.
    mmmm coffeee!

    email: jfoneg (_"a t symbol thing"_) yahoo (_"period or dot"_) com

  11. #11
    Senior Member BigBlueToe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Posts
    3,388
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
    Not that it makes a *huge* difference, but the Ibex is also 4lbs heavier than the Yak.
    To me, 4 lbs is approaching huge. I pulled a Yak over a couple of passes in Washington. I came to refer to it as "the anchor." I went back to panniers. However, if I had a bike on which panniers weren't a good option, I'd still use the Bob.

  12. #12
    weirdo
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    1,956
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Yak that I use for the same mix of stuff as you`re talking about- shopping and camping and once used it to carry a bumper jack to work. Though I haven`t done any on road tours (neither with panniers nor with a trailer), I suspect the trailer would add more work than panniers would, but it has the advantage of being able to easilly hook up behind four of the five bikes in my household and leaves the bikes completely unencumbered when it isn`t hooked up. Another difference between the Yak and the Ibex is that the Ibex sits a bit higher. For the most part, I think lower is better, but I guess that could go the other way sometimes.

    EDIT: If you end up buying a BOB, think about skipping out on the dry bag unless you really need that level of protection. I don`t remember the weight of the bag, but it`s a lot- I paid for the bag and only used it once, having switched to cheap nylon duffel bags.
    Last edited by rodar y rodar; 01-14-09 at 12:30 AM.

  13. #13
    Biking 4 Life vja4Him's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Modesto, California
    My Bikes
    27-speed Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009; 18-speed Mongoose Switchback (1990); 21-speed Electra Townie (2008)
    Posts
    654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel View Post
    Neither, get an Extrawheel trailer. Which one? I don't know.

    -Hi! Just being a bit "snarky".

    Have you considered other trailers, or are you now set on BOB?

    I don't have any trailer, but would like to get one.
    I'm pretty much sold on the Bob. Still trying to decide which one to get ... I've checked out the Extrawheel. I prefer the hybrid-flatbed style of the Bob .... Would be much easier for me to load and unload groceries using the Bob.

  14. #14
    Biking 4 Life vja4Him's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Modesto, California
    My Bikes
    27-speed Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009; 18-speed Mongoose Switchback (1990); 21-speed Electra Townie (2008)
    Posts
    654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I have a Yak that I use for the same mix of stuff as you`re talking about- shopping and camping and once used it to carry a bumper jack to work. Though I haven`t done any on road tours (neither with panniers nor with a trailer), I suspect the trailer would add more work than panniers would, but it has the advantage of being able to easilly hook up behind four of the five bikes in my household and leaves the bikes completely unencumbered when it isn`t hooked up. Another difference between the Yak and the Ibex is that the Ibex sits a bit higher. For the most part, I think lower is better, but I guess that could go the other way sometimes.

    EDIT: If you end up buying a BOB, think about skipping out on the dry bag unless you really need that level of protection. I don`t remember the weight of the bag, but it`s a lot- I paid for the bag and only used it once, having switched to cheap nylon duffel bags.
    Thanks for the advice concerning the bag. I have plenty of duffle bags and backpacks, so I could probably do just fine without the bag. I'm thinking about considering getting the Yak instead, which is $100.00 cheaper .....

  15. #15
    Gordon P
    Guest
    I have a Yak for touring and shopping and it works well for both road and trail. I bought mine used for $180.00 and it did not come with a duffle bag so I use a drybag canoe pack for touring and a plastic container for shopping.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    My Bikes
    83 Trek 620, 84 Raleigh Portage, 84 Schwinn Voyageur, 85 Trek 460
    Posts
    463
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to check out Biketrailershop. They have a decent price and no charge for shipping or tax for most folks. You can also upgrade the tire for a very reasonable price and many other options as well.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Cherry Hill,NJ
    Posts
    1,130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know if Disc brakes will interfer with a Yak/ibex?
    I'm just trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

  18. #18
    Senior Member staehpj1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Parkville, Md
    Posts
    7,559
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vja4Him View Post
    I'm trying to decide which trailer I should get. Either the Bob Yak, or the Bob Ibex ... ???

    I need the trailer for grocery shopping, and also for camping. I've read reviews concerning problems with the Ibex, like the adjustable shocks, and the bushings .....
    I haven't used the Ibex, but if it was me I would go with the Bob Yak if it is between those two. It is lighter and cheaper and probably at least as good for your purpose if not better.

    Will you need to fly with it? It seems like that would be a pain with either. FWIW: I met a nice couple from the UK who had a really nice folding alloy trailer. I forget the name, but it was German made. It was very nice and folded flat. It looked like it could go in the box with the bike if you used the big box airlines supply. It didn't look as nice for grocery getting though.

  19. #19
    Older than dirt CCrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom cotter View Post
    Does anyone know if Disc brakes will interfer with a Yak/ibex?
    Depends on how their mounted and whether you want to run a back rack. Reason I say is that a disc specific rack uses standoffs to mount it and the BOB skewer sticks out so that the dropouts on the trailer conflict with the standoffs on the rack. No rack, no problem. All my bikes (except my Lemond) have discs.

    On my Gary Fisher the caliper is tucked inside the triangle between the seat stay and the chain stay and doesn't require a disc specific rack. On the GF the trailer works with rack and fender installed.

    Good rule of thumb is that if you could attach something to the end of your rear skewer right now with no clearance issues above or to the rear you should have no issues. The Bob skewer is longer than a stock one and just needs clearance to drop the trailer onto.

    Hope that helps.
    Roger

  20. #20
    family on bikes nancy sv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    on my bike between North and South
    My Bikes
    which one?
    Posts
    2,361
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel View Post
    NancySUV had one and wrote up a wonderfull review of it. She explains both the good and bad points, and her explanation for discontinuing it's use on her families current tour. (Try the search function here? Or perhaps on her families blog?)

    One dude cycled the Chaning Stock Route with one (I think there's a link to his site from the extra-wheel site?)

    They also supposedly have a new version out which you can hang panniers directly to.
    Here is the link to my comparison - http://familyonbikes.org/blog/?p=722#more-722

    >Iīve now got over a thousand miles on the BOB and I stand by what I wrote then. The only thing I would add is that if your goal is to get the weight off the bike, the ExtraWheel is superior. The entire weight of the ExtraWheel is supported by the trailer, whereas the weight in the BOB is suspended between the rear wheel of the bike and the wheel of the BOB - 50% on each wheel.

    Although the BOB is more rugged and durable, it rides like a tank. I compare the ExtreaWheel to a sports car - itīs quick and flexible and moves easily. The BOB is like a tank - and drives like one.
    WE DID IT! Our little family of four cycled 17,300 miles from Alaska to Argentina! The trip of a lifetime for sure. www.familyonbikes.org

  21. #21
    Has opinion, will express
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12,712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by staehpj1 View Post
    I haven't used the Ibex, but if it was me I would go with the Bob Yak if it is between those two. It is lighter and cheaper and probably at least as good for your purpose if not better.

    Will you need to fly with it? It seems like that would be a pain with either. FWIW: I met a nice couple from the UK who had a really nice folding alloy trailer. I forget the name, but it was German made. It was very nice and folded flat. It looked like it could go in the box with the bike if you used the big box airlines supply. It didn't look as nice for grocery getting though.
    Likely the Weber trailer as in the attached picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dream. Dare. Do.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Cherry Hill,NJ
    Posts
    1,130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
    Depends on how their mounted and whether you want to run a back rack. Reason I say is that a disc specific rack uses standoffs to mount it and the BOB skewer sticks out so that the dropouts on the trailer conflict with the standoffs on the rack. No rack, no problem. All my bikes (except my Lemond) have discs.

    On my Gary Fisher the caliper is tucked inside the triangle between the seat stay and the chain stay and doesn't require a disc specific rack. On the GF the trailer works with rack and fender installed.

    Good rule of thumb is that if you could attach something to the end of your rear skewer right now with no clearance issues above or to the rear you should have no issues. The Bob skewer is longer than a stock one and just needs clearance to drop the trailer onto.

    Hope that helps.
    Roger
    That does help. I just picked up a Trek 6000 mountain bike with disc brakes. It doesn't have a rack, but i'm going to add one. My understanding is that it will need the stand-offs.

    I was going to get a BoB to pull behind my 520 and was thinking i could also use the 6000 for some trips as well.

    Thanks for the answer. Now i know what to look for.
    I'm just trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

  23. #23
    Older than dirt CCrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom cotter View Post
    That does help. I just picked up a Trek 6000 mountain bike with disc brakes. It doesn't have a rack, but i'm going to add one. My understanding is that it will need the stand-offs.
    The bike I had an issue with is a Trek 4300 Disc, so we're looking at pretty darned similar designs. Bob would work fine without the rack, but was an issue with the disc specific one. The standoffs are right where the trailer needed to go to drop onto the skewer. Once on the skewers you could probably use the rack, but I wasn't up to popping the rack loose and back on every time I wanted to drop/remove the trailer. In the realm of full disclosure though, I never tried that, just looked at the clearance and said "that isn't going to be workable"

    Regards,
    Roger

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •