Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-09, 06:56 PM   #1
wentworth
Boston Strangler
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: boston
Bikes: 1986 colnago, holmes NG, khs
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Most cost effective rack & panniers

any suggestions? i wont be using it everyday, maybe once a month for a weekend trip. So it only needs to carry the essentials: sleeping bag & mat, some clothes, some food, not cross country loads. Id like to spend around 100 for the racks and panniers. recommendations please
wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 07:07 PM   #2
arctos
40 yrs bike touring
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Santa Barbara,CA.
Bikes: Bruce Gordon Ti Rock N Road [1989], Fat Chance Mountain Tandem [1988]
Posts: 997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My first panniers were DIY from canvas grocery type bags linked together like saddlebags. A stuff sack on top of the rack carried bulky items like tent, clothes, sleeping bag and pad. It worked surprisingly well and I learned what to look for in a commercial set after I decided that bike touring would be a regular activity.
arctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 07:08 PM   #3
honeycomb
Min'nie Me
 
honeycomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Losing ground to the faster riders. Again!
Bikes: Cannondale (R-2000, Six-13), Bridgestone MB-5 and Kent Compact folder to name a few.
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I stole this info from another post. Not sure where to find it but here is info on a set of cheap panniers: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product..._200277_200350

Type in this code for 20% off: April20

So, 19.99 panniers just got a lot cheaper ... by 20% to be exact.

I just purchased these:
Front Rack for $27.45: http://www.ebikestop.com/axiom_journ...ack-RK6611.php
Rear Rack for $32.45: http://www.ebikestop.com/axiom_odyss...ack-RK6616.php

Without discounts and ship&handling = $79.89 therefore under $100 total
honeycomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 04:39 AM   #4
staehpj1 
Senior Member
 
staehpj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 8,852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I posted this the other day on the Adventure Cycling forums.

The ATB Nashbar Panniers are listed as $19.99 right now and using the code "APRIL20" will get you another 20% off for a total of $15.99 before shipping ($6.99) And that's for the pair! 2350 cubic inches, from Nashbar: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product..._200277_200350

I like the waterproof ones from Nashbar or Performance better though,
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...00_10000_16502
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...248_-1___14003

I also like these:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

Check for coupon codes for either place at:
http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...ysprune=&f=228
for additional 10-20% off most of the time.

For Racks I like the Blackburn EX-1 on the back and on the front the Nashbar or Performance clones of the Blackburn Lowrider.

Tents and sleeping bags can go fairly low budget too. Eureka has some nice low end tents and Slumberjack has some decent low end sleeping bags. I would buy a nice sleeping pad though. I like Thermarest.

Between the three of us we used all this stuff on the Trans America and found it all quite adequate. Check our journal for more ideas of cheaper gear at:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/staehling2007
See the packing lists and the "what worked and what didn't" section.
staehpj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 09:06 AM   #5
EmmCeeBee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SW Washington, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just have to say: This is an astounding deal. I already have enough panniers for three bikes, but I'm tempted....

The Nashbar ATB Panniers are not the best, but they're serviceable. The pair I have are still going strong after 8000+ miles of touring, plus uncountable shopping trips around town, with only a few minor repairs. There are better ones on the market, but -- as long as this sale lasts -- there is no better value. Period.

(Not associated with Nashbar in any way. It's just an astounding deal.)

-- Mark
EmmCeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 09:51 AM   #6
HardyWeinberg
GATC
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: south Puget Sound
Bikes:
Posts: 7,493
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
cost-effective... my damn chapak panniers that I hate are really not showing any signs of impending death ~20k miles down the road, so I guess they're cost-effective although like I said I really want them to wear out so I can justify replacing them. A lot of bike parts I find are like that.
HardyWeinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 01:15 PM   #7
deburn
Senior Member
 
deburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Boston
Bikes: 2005 LeMond Buenos Aires, 2013 Jamis Coda Elite, 19xx Cannondale Rockhopper
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seems like a GREAT find, thanks! I don't 'need' a pair of panniers, but at this price...
the coupon doesnt seem to work though

EDIT: I used w257 to get 10% off. Also ordered a pair of gloves and a bag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by staehpj1 View Post
I posted this the other day on the Adventure Cycling forums.

The ATB Nashbar Panniers are listed as $19.99 right now and using the code "APRIL20" will get you another 20% off for a total of $15.99 before shipping ($6.99) And that's for the pair! 2350 cubic inches, from Nashbar: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product..._200277_200350

I like the waterproof ones from Nashbar or Performance better though,
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...00_10000_16502
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...248_-1___14003

I also like these:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

Check for coupon codes for either place at:
http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...ysprune=&f=228
for additional 10-20% off most of the time.

For Racks I like the Blackburn EX-1 on the back and on the front the Nashbar or Performance clones of the Blackburn Lowrider.

Tents and sleeping bags can go fairly low budget too. Eureka has some nice low end tents and Slumberjack has some decent low end sleeping bags. I would buy a nice sleeping pad though. I like Thermarest.

Between the three of us we used all this stuff on the Trans America and found it all quite adequate. Check our journal for more ideas of cheaper gear at:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/staehling2007
See the packing lists and the "what worked and what didn't" section.

Last edited by deburn; 04-19-09 at 01:46 PM. Reason: added content
deburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 10:58 PM   #8
Jtgyk
Senior Member
 
Jtgyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richardson TX
Bikes:
Posts: 1,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Arrrgh! I waited too long and now they are back up to $35.
I would have bought them at $19...but at $35 I'll look at more expensive better built panniers.
__________________
Hey, I'm just this GUY...you know?
>>>Team Critical Mess<<< (You mean it's not SUPPOSE to hurt?)

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock
Jtgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-09, 12:13 AM   #9
burtonridr
Wanderlust
 
burtonridr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Inland Empire
Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper for MTB and a specialized hardrock for touring
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
+1 I like these ones... havent got a lot of experience with them because I havent had them long. But I like that they are fully water proof and cheap.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...00_10000_16502
burtonridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-09, 02:15 AM   #10
mesasone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Iowa City, IA
Bikes: 2008 Surly LHT, 2008 Trek 7.2fx
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a pair of the Nashbar ATB panniers and a set of Ortlieb rollers. Either Nashbar is fibbing on the volume, or Ortlieb way under rates theirs, but the ATBs are roughly the size of front rollers (a bit over 1500 cu inches), and much smaller than the back rollers (roughly 2400 cubic inches).

Still, I picked up the Nashbar's on sale last year for 20.00 and they were a great value. I only used them once before my parents German shepard tore one open looking for my fig newtons,
but I have no complaints with them. The back pockets on them are kind of nice.

Last edited by mesasone; 04-23-09 at 06:02 AM.
mesasone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-09, 04:52 AM   #11
staehpj1 
Senior Member
 
staehpj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 8,852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deburn View Post
Seems like a GREAT find, thanks! I don't 'need' a pair of panniers, but at this price...
the coupon doesnt seem to work though

EDIT: I used w257 to get 10% off. Also ordered a pair of gloves and a bag!
I think it only had one day left on that offer when I posted. You can almost always find one that does work at:
http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...ysprune=&f=228
staehpj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-09, 04:59 AM   #12
staehpj1 
Senior Member
 
staehpj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 8,852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesasone View Post
I have a pair of the Nashbar ATB panniers and a set of Ortlieb rollers. Either Nashbar is fibbing on the volume, or Ortlieb way under rates theirs, but the ATBs are roughly the size of front rollers (a bit over 1500 cu inches), and much smaller than the back rollers (roughly 2400 cubic inches).
I agree that they are smaller than the number makes them sound. They are MUCH smaller than the Nashbar Waterproof panniers as well. I think part of that is that with a bunch of compartments you actually fit less stuff and also I think they must count the volume with the drawstring on top not drawn. I have a set and am not crazy about them, but really like my Nashbar Waterproof ones.

My companions liked the ATB ones as a front pannier, but each only used one paired with a Nashbar Front Waterproof on the other side. They like having one pannier with pockets.
staehpj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-09, 07:41 AM   #13
Jtgyk
Senior Member
 
Jtgyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richardson TX
Bikes:
Posts: 1,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Excellent info on the ATB Panniers.
That's part of the problem of not being able to see the things in person. It's hard to judge size with interweb catalog pictures.
I currently use the Topeak MXTp (right at 1400-ish expanded) But have been wanting to shift the load lower and have more room. The NB site seems to say the combined capacity (2 panniers) on the waterproof set is 2300?

I think I'll find something else for my wife to use on her commute.
She has the Nashbar Daytrekker bags now...but needs more capacity for clothes and laptop....and something with some structure to it that is easy to get into.
__________________
Hey, I'm just this GUY...you know?
>>>Team Critical Mess<<< (You mean it's not SUPPOSE to hurt?)

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock
Jtgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-09, 08:50 AM   #14
staehpj1 
Senior Member
 
staehpj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 8,852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtgyk View Post
The NB site seems to say the combined capacity (2 panniers) on the waterproof set is 2300?
That sounds about right. They are quite roomy IMO. Much more so than the ATBs.
staehpj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-09, 10:24 AM   #15
77midget
me ride bike good
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: outside Boston, MA
Bikes: Trek 4300
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought a pair of the ATBs at $20, and I might even still think about it at 35, though at that price you could probably just get better quality for a bit more. I am using them already for commuting, and plan on some touring in a couple weeks. Initial quality seems good, and I plan on writing a review after a bit of use. I have a couple other Nashbar products, and I find that with a bit of extra care and handling, they hold up pretty well. They are NOT waterproof, however, and that is a showstopper for most. I use plastic bag liners, so no worries for me commuting, though.

As for a rack, I also use a cheap Nashbar (think I paid $19) that has over 1200 miles of commuting on it and is still rock solid. I bought cheap as I had to bend it a bit to fit my bike, which is an MTB. When I get a true touring bike, I will upgrade.

I used the Nashbar Daytrekkers for a year, but IMO they are a bit too small even for commuting, and def too small for touring. I am going to modify them for use as front rack bags.

Last edited by 77midget; 04-23-09 at 10:26 AM. Reason: addition
77midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 06:43 PM   #16
zebede
Hello
 
zebede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Suncoast, Florida
Bikes: BF Tikit, Dahon Speed TR, Mezzo I4, Miyata 610, Gitane Criterium, Dahon Helios XL
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the heads up on this deal. I just received a set in the mail today. I sorely wish I had bought two sets before the price went back up. For the money I beleive this was an outstanding value. I am very impressed with what you get for $20 or $34.

While I have not put them to the test yet. All the ingrediants for a decent basic pannier are present. Coated heavy codura, steel hangers bungee attachment. multi pockets, , double pull big zippers. The mediocre lower bunge attachment can easily be beefed up.

Soweeeet.

Last edited by zebede; 04-24-09 at 07:19 PM. Reason: double checked not double stiched
zebede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 06:53 PM   #17
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Posts: 29,647
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebede View Post
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the heads up on this deal. I just received a set in the mail today. I sorely wish I had bought two sets before the price went back up. For the money I beleive this was an outstanding value. I am very impressed with what you get for $20 or $34.

While I have not put them to the test yet. All the ingrediants for a decent basic pannier are present. Coated heavy codura, steel hangers bungee attachment. multi pockets, double stiched, double pull big zippers. The mediocre lower bunge attachment can easily be beefed up.

Soweeeet.
I received two of them.
They are great.

__________________
[SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 07:00 PM   #18
prathmann
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bay Area, Calif.
Bikes:
Posts: 6,089
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I got a pair of the Nashbar waterproof ones when they were on sale for about $30 and recently got their Ascent Basic Rear Rack when it was $10. Used the rack for it's first tour outing earlier this week
(pictures of trip at: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=184410 ) but lent the panniers to a friend so I was still using my old Bike Warehouse (predecessor to Nashbar) orange ones. The rack seems very solid and secure and it has the doglegs going back far enough to prevent a loose pannier from getting into the spokes (which my previous rack lacked).

Nashbar changes their prices frequently so if there's a particular item you want it pays to keep watching for it and getting it when it's on sale.
prathmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:17 AM.