Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cycle computer that turns on automatically?

    I searched.

    Is there a cycle computer (of any type) that turns on automatically, after it registers the wheel has started to turn or something? For the life of me I cannot remember to turn mine on when I start off on a trip, so I never know how many miles I ended up doing.

    While I'm on tour I really want to keep track of exact mileage, so if there was a computer that would eliminate the need to turn the stupid thing on each time, that'd be perfect.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,069
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VDO computers do this.

  3. #3
    just going for a ride... lbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    My Bikes
    LeMond Sarthe, OCR A1, OCR 2, Cypress DX
    Posts
    584
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Delphi 4.0 wireless that turns on automatically 2 mins into the ride. Which is nice because it improves your average speed by not including the slow takeoffs.
    2011 Soma Double Cross
    2008 Lemond Sarthe
    2008 Giant OCR A1

  4. #4
    imi
    imi is offline
    aka Timi imi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    My Bikes
    Bob Jackson World Tour (touring) and a Miyata 100 (commuting)
    Posts
    2,014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cateye call it "Auto Start/Stop"... Most (all?) of their computers have this function:
    http://www.cateye.com/en/product_listing/51

    Mity 8 is a classic, Enduro 8 is sturdier and a good touring computer IMO

  5. #5
    __________ seeker333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, most have auto stop. The latest Cateye Strada wireless did away with the manual start/stop capability of older generation wireless models, now its auto start/stop only.

  6. #6
    Senior Member mint-sauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you want to go GPS, the garmin models have auto pause/start

  7. #7
    Senior Member aidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my sigma 906 does it, probably all of their models do?

  8. #8
    ah.... sure. kayakdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Whidbey Island WA
    My Bikes
    Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..
    Posts
    4,106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cateye lets your select if you do or don't want this feature like mentioned above.
    Save 15% on your first order at Hammer Nutrition!!

    2010 Giant TCR SL 3
    2010 Novara Randonee

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Sojourn, Trek X-Caliber, Trek Antelope
    Posts
    237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of the specialized computers have auto start/stop as well...I think most computers you can buy today have that feature.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gorshkov View Post
    All of the specialized computers have auto start/stop as well...I think most computers you can buy today have that feature.
    Man I must've bought the only one that doesn't

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FIE3R8

    Thanks for the input, I'll buy pretty much any other computer made then.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agentbolt View Post
    Man I must've bought the only one that doesn't

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FIE3R8

    Thanks for the input, I'll buy pretty much any other computer made then.
    LoL- and from the 1 star review on the link you provided you're probably better off with "any other computer made" :-)

  12. #12
    Senior Member BigBlueToe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Posts
    3,388
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every bike computer I've ever owned has turned itself on automatically when it detected the magnet passing the sensor. My problem is remembering to set the tripmeter to zero at the start of a ride.

  13. #13
    Professional Fuss-Budget Bacciagalupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,311
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just a setting on the computer. The description even says: "Auto sleep for battery power saving." Maybe it just wasn't set that way by default.

    Check the manual and figure out how to turn auto sleep on.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe View Post
    It's just a setting on the computer. The description even says: "Auto sleep for battery power saving." Maybe it just wasn't set that way by default.

    Check the manual and figure out how to turn auto sleep on.
    "auto sleep", not "auto wake up". It goes to sleep on its own after 5 minutes of no riding, but it doesn't turn itself back on when you start biking again. You have to push the damn button on the unit to wake it back up, or when you're starting out from scratch.

  15. #15
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    38,468
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had one that didn't turn on automatically in about 12 or 15 years ... but I do recall I had one like that way back when. Seems to me it was a cheap Canadian Tire computer.

    I've been using Cateye and Topeak computers for years now and they all have the Auto Start etc. functions.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SW Washington, USA
    Posts
    373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agentbolt View Post
    Is there a cycle computer (of any type) that turns on automatically, after it registers the wheel has started to turn or something? For the life of me I cannot remember to turn mine on when I start off on a trip, so I never know how many miles I ended up doing. ...
    "Of any type": Yes, wired. You didn't say in your original post, but your model is probably wireless. Every wired model I know of is "auto wake-up". That's why I don't use wireless, they're worthless if I don't remember to click it until I'm rolling back up my driveway.

    According to some of the posts above, there seem to be some wireless models that now do this. But after trying a couple of wireless models and returning them for lacking this essential feature, I still can't think of a good reason not to just use a wired model.

    -- Mark

  17. #17
    Uber Goober StephenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dallas area, Texas
    Posts
    10,538
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueToe View Post
    Every bike computer I've ever owned has turned itself on automatically when it detected the magnet passing the sensor. My problem is remembering to set the tripmeter to zero at the start of a ride.
    Bingo. My $10 Scwhinn model does this.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

  18. #18
    Bill
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    HIGHLANDS RANCH, CO
    My Bikes
    Specialized Globe Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Posts
    630
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both of mine do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Eventually you will reach a point when you stop lying about your age and start bragging about it. - Will Rogers

  19. #19
    just going for a ride... lbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    My Bikes
    LeMond Sarthe, OCR A1, OCR 2, Cypress DX
    Posts
    584
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmCeeBee View Post
    "Of any type": Yes, wired. You didn't say in your original post, but your model is probably wireless. Every wired model I know of is "auto wake-up". That's why I don't use wireless, they're worthless if I don't remember to click it until I'm rolling back up my driveway.

    According to some of the posts above, there seem to be some wireless models that now do this. But after trying a couple of wireless models and returning them for lacking this essential feature, I still can't think of a good reason not to just use a wired model.

    -- Mark
    My Delphi 4.0 wireless does. See 3# post.
    2011 Soma Double Cross
    2008 Lemond Sarthe
    2008 Giant OCR A1

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of my cycle computers turned on automatically (Cateye and Sigma). I just bought a new one and it doesn't!!!! Very Very Very annoying.

    Do NOT buy Filzer cycle computers.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyakdiver View Post
    Cateye lets your select if you do or don't want this feature like mentioned above.
    This feature can be turned off on a strada wireless? Do you know how to make that change or where the setting is?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •