Hey ya'll. I'm new and I'm having paralysis by analysis over buying a new bike. I "discovered" the Surly LHT. It seems great. And I'm still 50/50 between it and a MTB.
- around town bike. I'm carless.
- a 2 year away tour through Mongolia, Kyrgystan, Tajikistan. Lots of dirt! remote! surely more 3rd world touring after that too.
- frequent 4-5 day tours around my area which means dirt roads on the arizona strip, southern utah and nevada.
- and of course, still a lot of pavement touring (60%?)
- and if i go with a mtb i'll want to use it for easy single track and slickrock in utah.
I don't like the idea of a BOB. I want paniers, old man mtn for the suspension fork is fine with me. I'd buy the 54cm LHT so same sized wheels. Would a MTB be better on dirt roads? A front fork seems like a good idea.
Any recommendations for new stock MTBs? steel, lockable fork, mounts, long chain, etc. similar price to the LHT.