Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    20+mph Commuter JoeyBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Supercorsa, Surly LHT, Surly Pugsley, to name a few.
    Posts
    4,288
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Pugsley Set up For Touring - PHOTOS

    Here is a link to a short photo compilation of my Surly Puglsey on some day tours, some with full racks. I have tens of thousands of miles touring on bikes like my Long Haul Trucker, Cannondale ST1000, and others, but starting to piece together some tours in my mind for the Pugs.

    The photos are presented in video format with some tunes. 3 Minutes in all.

    My Pugsley

    If anyone here tours on their Pugsley overnight, I would love to see some photos posted here, or a link to a thread elsewhere.

    I already know about this one called "It's A Pug's Life" which is quite extensive on Mtbr.com as well as the ones posted on the Surly Website.

    You got something different, let's see it! Even extended day rides.
    "For all we know his skills may be excellent, allowing him to ride like an idiot without actually being one." - FBinNY

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Sport 2009, Giant Yukon FX3
    Posts
    1,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude. First you want us to go look at a video "tribute" to your bike. Then, the next videos are you perving on some total strangers at the beach.

    No. Yuck. Go away.

  3. #3
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Surly Big Dummy, Surly 1x1, Surly Pugsley, Bike Friday Tikit x 3, Bike Friday NWT, Bow Cycle 24, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    I'm taking my Pugsley on tour starting this weekend. I'll post some photos and a report when we get back from the Canadian portion of the GDR.

    Pug pics.

    Pug blog posts - blog1 & blog2.



    I've posted these pics before so sorry to anyone who is sick of the same Pugsley porn!...
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  4. #4
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Surly Big Dummy, Surly 1x1, Surly Pugsley, Bike Friday Tikit x 3, Bike Friday NWT, Bow Cycle 24, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  5. #5
    Twincities MN kuan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Salsa, Cannondale, Surly.
    Posts
    2,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joey what size is your Pug?

    One of these days I'm gonna end up with one of each Surly bike.

    Like Vik. Almost.

  6. #6
    20+mph Commuter JoeyBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Supercorsa, Surly LHT, Surly Pugsley, to name a few.
    Posts
    4,288
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kuan View Post
    Joey what size is your Pug?
    15 inch frame - smallest they make. Equivalent to a 17.5 inch frame with 26 inch mtb tires. The Pug wheels and tires are equivalent to a 29er in height, so you would be riding a smaller frame than a standard ATB to compensate.

    My pant inseam length is 32"
    "For all we know his skills may be excellent, allowing him to ride like an idiot without actually being one." - FBinNY

  7. #7
    20+mph Commuter JoeyBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Supercorsa, Surly LHT, Surly Pugsley, to name a few.
    Posts
    4,288
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vik View Post
    I'm taking my Pugsley on tour starting this weekend. I'll post some photos and a report when we get back from the Canadian portion of the GDR.
    Sweet! Thanks!
    "For all we know his skills may be excellent, allowing him to ride like an idiot without actually being one." - FBinNY

  8. #8
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Surly Big Dummy, Surly 1x1, Surly Pugsley, Bike Friday Tikit x 3, Bike Friday NWT, Bow Cycle 24, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
    15 inch frame - smallest they make. Equivalent to a 17.5 inch frame with 26 inch mtb tires. The Pug wheels and tires are equivalent to a 29er in height, so you would be riding a smaller frame than a standard ATB to compensate.

    My pant inseam length is 32"
    I'm not sure about that sizing advice. I ride the same size Pug as I would a MTB. My pants inseam is 32-33" and I ride a 18" Pug.

    It still comes down to getting the right effective TT with the bar/stem you are using and having an acceptable stand over height.
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  9. #9
    20+mph Commuter JoeyBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Supercorsa, Surly LHT, Surly Pugsley, to name a few.
    Posts
    4,288
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vik View Post
    I'm not sure about that sizing advice. I ride the same size Pug as I would a MTB. My pants inseam is 32-33" and I ride a 18" Pug.
    Looking at it, I have a lot of seat post! I probably could go up a size, but I really like the 15" and have had no problems at all. The pugs is setting right next to my Jamis MTB (17.5" frame) in my office so I'll measure them up right now.

    The Jamis (rigid fork) top tube where it meets the head tube is 31" from the ground where the Pug's (suspension corrected rigid fork) is 34" from the ground at the same spot. Where the top tube meets the seat tube, Jamis= 28" and Pugsley= the same 28". Top tube length is 20" on the Jamis and 21" on Pugs. The center of the BB from the ground is 12.5" for both bikes too. So in effect, the Pugsley is taller and longer than my 17.5 Jamis. So I'm happy. You're happy with your 18 I'm guessin'. I'm 5'10" and normal proportions. How tall are you?
    Last edited by JoeyBike; 06-23-09 at 11:05 PM.
    "For all we know his skills may be excellent, allowing him to ride like an idiot without actually being one." - FBinNY

  10. #10
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Surly Big Dummy, Surly 1x1, Surly Pugsley, Bike Friday Tikit x 3, Bike Friday NWT, Bow Cycle 24, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
    Looking at it, I have a lot of seat post! I probably could go up a size, but I really like the 15" and have had no problems at all. The pugs is setting right next to my Jamis MTB (17.5" frame) in my office so I'll measure them up right now.

    The Jamis (rigid fork) top tube where it meets the head tube is 31" from the ground where the Pug's (suspension corrected rigid fork) is 34" from the ground at the same spot. Where the top tube meets the seat tube, Jamis= 28" and Pugsley= the same 28". Top tube length is 20" on the Jamis and 21" on Pugs. The center of the BB from the ground is 12.5" for both bikes too. So in effect, the Pugsley is taller and longer than my 17.5 Jamis. So I'm happy. You're happy with your 18 I'm guessin'. I'm 5'10" and normal proportions. How tall are you?
    I'm 6'....don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting you are on the wrong sized Pug. I'm just saying I wouldn't recommend people size down when buying a Pug. Getting a good fit on a bike is more complicated then that. Check out all the dimensions and get the right TT length for the bars you are using and then ensure you have sufficient standover clearance.
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    290
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the photos JoeyBike. All of this gets my mind off of the mundane (work, every day annoyances) and on to ideas of riding all day and visiting new places.
    Last edited by rideabike; 06-27-09 at 05:17 PM.

  12. #12
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Surly Big Dummy, Surly 1x1, Surly Pugsley, Bike Friday Tikit x 3, Bike Friday NWT, Bow Cycle 24, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    My Pug
    packed for the CDN GDR.
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    290
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pic Vic.

  14. #14
    20+mph Commuter JoeyBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA USA
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Supercorsa, Surly LHT, Surly Pugsley, to name a few.
    Posts
    4,288
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rideabike View Post
    Thanks for the photos JoeyBike. All of this gets my mind off of the mundane (work, every day annoyances) and on to ideas of riding all day and visiting new places.
    I am happy you found an escape and some motivation here.

    I just installed Surly Nice Racks (both rear racks) on my Pugs. Soon as I can snap a couple photos somewhere besides my living room, I will post them here. I got the idea (how to modify the Nice Rack for front use) and motivation on this thread too thanks to links posted by other kind souls.

    Cheers
    "For all we know his skills may be excellent, allowing him to ride like an idiot without actually being one." - FBinNY

  15. #15
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Surly Big Dummy, Surly 1x1, Surly Pugsley, Bike Friday Tikit x 3, Bike Friday NWT, Bow Cycle 24, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •