1. Point your car southwest, continue to bear southwest gradually.
2. Go to your local AAA (American Automobile Association) and ask for a set of US maps - state maps and one general US map, and a set of campground guides for the states you'll be going through.
3. Have a good look at the general US map and decide if there are places you'd like to see. You may need to return to the AAA and collect more information.
4. As you drive on the faster moving highways, take the time to stop at some of the rest stops they've got every so often along the way. Pick up more maps, compare maps, select the roads you like. These places may also have brochures on parks, campgrounds etc.
5. If you spot a tourist information centre in a town you're driving through, stop and collect more brochures etc. for the stuff you're interested in.