Biking from Philly to DC next week. Any route ideas?
I'm looking to bike from Philadelphia to DC next week and was hoping someone had a good route. I really just need to figure out how to get to Baltimore; I know how to get to DC from there. Taking Route 1 is fast (about 90 miles to B-more) but high-traffic and not so scenic. The Eastern Greenway/American Discovery/MA-FL Trail is probably beautiful but twice as long. Anyone have any good ideas? Let me know I'm hoping to head out next week.
NYC -> Baltimore
* Trenton Road to Hulmeville
* Route 513 (Bellevue Ave / Hulmeville Road) to Eddington
* Route 513 to Olde Kensington (becomes Frankford Ave)
* West Philadelphia
* Woodland Avenue becomes Main Street, Darby
* Route 13 to Claymont
* at hilltop traffic signal just south of the Delaware border, turn left onto the riverside route, proceed into Wilmington
* Route 2 to Newark
* Route 273 to Woodlyn Heights
* Route 1 to Belgravia
* Johns Hopkins University
Baltimore -> DC
Feel free to say hi when you are in town
First thing to do, I think, is decide where you want to cross the Susquehanna; you have three choices.
My own preference is to go west before you go south; cross the Susquehanna at Holtwood, then follow little local roads in the general direction of Frederick before turning south to enter DC on the Rock Creek Parkway.