Beginner planning a long distance ride in a month - Please Help!
Well my girlfriend just moved to San Francisco and I am planning to go visit her when summer school ends in September. I was inspired by some youtube videos to make the trip by bike. I am planning on biking every day before then to practice, but I'm going to need lots of advice. And that's why I'm here.
Some major questions I have are:
1) What sort of bike should I buy? I only have a cheap walmart mountain bike to practice on for now.
2) What sort of equipment other than the bike should I bring? Spare tires, tools, food, first aid etc?
3) How long should I expect the trip to take? It is approximately 380 miles from San Bernardino to San Francisco (directly - many more miles by road).
4) Am I allowed to follow major highways on a bike? or only side streets?
5) What sort of training should I be doing aside from lots of riding?
6) What is the most comfortable seat I can get reasonably? I don't mind my legs being tired but I need a good seat.
Other people's journals, you can learn a lot, many include packing lists
Read the sticky post in this forum, and the eleventy-billion "which bike" threads:
The Newbie's Guide To Touring Bikes
Since this is going to be your first tour -
And since the prevailing winds on the coast are from the north -
May I suggest taking Amtrak up to San Fran and biking back?
Trust me - it's a LOT nicer riding with tailwinds.