Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bottom bracket help....Nashbar Touring Frame

    I searched a little bit but couldnt really find an exact answer. I have an old truvantiv mtb triple crankset I'm going to be putting on my nashbar touring frame and I need some help figuring out what size bottom bracket to get? Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

  2. #2
    Gaspipe Pilot 7speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Feeding on the bottom.
    My Bikes
    Lots of bikes for lots of different kinds of riding....
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which Truvativ do you have?

    I think that most of them require a 113 spindle. I assume that the Nashbar frame is a 68mm bottom bracket shell.
    I clicked on "view first unread" for this?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ormond Beach, FL
    My Bikes
    2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Posts
    218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it's a 68mm width with English threads. The spindle length will depend on the specific crankset you plan to use.

    Cheers,
    Bob P.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up with a 122mm on an old 5 bolt Deore. Works PERFECTLY.

  5. #5
    yes
    yes is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    675
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The spindle length depends on the crankset and also the seat tube size. For instance, I installed a Nashbar touring crankset on an mtb frame, and went with the spindle length suggested by Nashbar. Well, the seat tube on the aluminum mtb frame is so thick, that the deraileur can't move inward enough and rubs the chain in the smallest gear. If the spindle were a couple mm longer, that would not be an issue. Just a thought.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7speed View Post
    Which Truvativ do you have?

    I think that most of them require a 113 spindle. I assume that the Nashbar frame is a 68mm bottom bracket shell.
    Sorry, its the Truvativ FiveD and it is a 68mm shell.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yes View Post
    The spindle length depends on the crankset and also the seat tube size. For instance, I installed a Nashbar touring crankset on an mtb frame, and went with the spindle length suggested by Nashbar. Well, the seat tube on the aluminum mtb frame is so thick, that the deraileur can't move inward enough and rubs the chain in the smallest gear. If the spindle were a couple mm longer, that would not be an issue. Just a thought.
    Thats kind of what I was getting at. From some of the reading I did on this frame, its seems people have had to experiment a little. I was hoping someone was already running a similar crankset and could give a me an idea on a good spindle length.

    FWIW I'll be using a Deore FD

  8. #8
    Gaspipe Pilot 7speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Feeding on the bottom.
    My Bikes
    Lots of bikes for lots of different kinds of riding....
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, according to Sheldon, it's 113.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#truvativ
    I clicked on "view first unread" for this?

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7speed View Post
    Yep, according to Sheldon, it's 113.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#truvativ
    Cool, thank you for the help....I dont know why I didn't think to check Sheldons sight in the first place

  10. #10
    Gaspipe Pilot 7speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Feeding on the bottom.
    My Bikes
    Lots of bikes for lots of different kinds of riding....
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linkovich View Post
    Cool, thank you for the help....I dont know why I didn't think to check Sheldons sight in the first place
    AUSHTA!

    As Usual, Sheldon Has The Answer!
    I clicked on "view first unread" for this?

  11. #11
    Senior Member brotherj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilliard, Ohio
    My Bikes
    Schwinn MTB, Surly LHT, Cannondal CADD8ek XO
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will need to use a slightly longer spindle than expected due to the oversize down tube. My crank spec'd 113 spindle but it was a bit short for the dr to make the shift to the inner ring smoothly. 118 shifted but was a still little rattly and 122 worked fine. Fortunately I have a box of pieces parts that I could play with.
    Last edited by brotherj; 09-24-09 at 10:58 AM.
    '07 Schwinn MTB
    '08 Cannondale CAAD8
    '10 Surly Long Haul Trucker

    '94 Trek 700 awaiting restoration
    Always looking for 1 more...

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have a 113 already so I'm just going to start with it and go from there...Hopefully it will work

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •