Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-21-09, 08:46 AM   #1
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Vote on my big 2010 tour!

A thread with a poll in the Clydesdale forum. Choices for a three week tour are a trip through the center of PA North, West, South, then East, or Pittsburgh to Chicago.

The Historian's 2010 Tour - Vote!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-09, 09:37 AM   #2
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Wyoming
Bikes:
Posts: 2,267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you considered the Old Lincoln Highway?

The Ohio Lincoln Highway Association has detailed section maps -
http://www.lincolnhighwayoh.com/preface.html

The Indiana Lincoln Highway Association doesn't have as good of a website -
http://www.indianalincolnhighway.com/
Map - http://lincolnhighway.jameslin.name/by_state/in.html
But here is info from the Ohio website
http://www.lincolnhighwayoh.com/1924_indiana_lh.html
http://www.lincolnhighwayoh.com/1928_indiana_lh.html
jamawani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-09, 09:40 AM   #3
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamawani View Post
Have you considered the Old Lincoln Highway?

The Ohio Lincoln Highway Association has detailed section maps -
http://www.lincolnhighwayoh.com/preface.html

The Indiana Lincoln Highway Association doesn't have as good of a website -
http://www.indianalincolnhighway.com/
Map - http://lincolnhighway.jameslin.name/by_state/in.html
But here is info from the Ohio website
http://www.lincolnhighwayoh.com/1924_indiana_lh.html
http://www.lincolnhighwayoh.com/1928_indiana_lh.html
No, I hadn't. Thank you for the suggestion.

I'm still weighing pros and cons, and of course fielding suggestions.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-09, 11:42 AM   #4
rhm
multimodal commuter
 
rhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ, NYC, LI
Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...
Posts: 15,669
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Here's a vague suggestion. I'm not going to give you specifics on the route; there are so many things of historical interest along the way, that you really have to chose them for yourself.

But here it is: Head east and north! One or two days to Bull's Island campground; then up the Delaware and Raritan canal (camp in my yard one night), then over to Atlantic Highlands. Take the ferry to NYC. If you don't want to ride out of NYC, take the Long Island Rail Road as far as you wish, then head east across Long Island to either Orient Point (north fork) or Montauk (south fork), then another ferry to New London; then north to Boston, then west and south again, at least as far as New Haven. If time permits, ride west from New Haven, then down the Hudson (I think there's a NY State bike route along there). If time runs short, from New Haven you can take Metro North RR, New Jersey Transit, and Septa almost the whole way home; you don't even need to box your bike. You do have to avoid peak hour trains, but that's not hard to do.
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-09, 05:59 PM   #5
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 45,768
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
If you've got 3 weeks, why don't you try going somewhere different for a change ... like Canada, Europe, Australia, South America .......
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-09, 06:36 PM   #6
Wogster
Senior Member
 
Wogster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
A thread with a poll in the Clydesdale forum. Choices for a three week tour are a trip through the center of PA North, West, South, then East, or Pittsburgh to Chicago.

The Historian's 2010 Tour - Vote!
IIRC most of your tours are in the same general area, PA with bits of NY, NJ, MD, DC. Perhaps you should go somewhere completely different, you could head North into Canada, or head south maybe head toward the coast and ride down to VA Beach, spend a week on the beach, then ride to Norfolk and catch the train back home..... You could take some nice day rides in the area, to see stuff.
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-09, 06:50 PM   #7
ajs26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Illinois
Bikes: K2 3.0 ZED
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I vote for Pit to Chicago. I'm sure you could spend an extra day or two once you are there and enjoy some dining and see some sights. Then just take the Amtrak home with your bike, save the high airline cost and pain of dismantling the bike.
ajs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 04:44 AM   #8
VT_Speed_TR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vermont
Bikes:
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Historian,

I vote for a Vermont/Canada trip. You can start from my house, and if you want some company, I'd ride with you for a couple of days thru Vermont into Canada. From my place, you could head along Vermont's Champlain Islands, then into Canada, perhaps Montreal, or just north and pick up the Route Verte. You could then head east toward Sherbrook, then northeast to Quebec City and further east the Gaspe area. Very nice riding.
VT_Speed_TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 04:46 AM   #9
staehpj1 
Senior Member
 
staehpj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 8,839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
If you've got 3 weeks, why don't you try going somewhere different for a change ... like Canada, Europe, Australia, South America .......
Or maybe a different part of the US? The Pacific Coast maybe?
staehpj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-09, 02:02 PM   #10
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Poll's closed. Chicago wins. If having me ride to it is a win.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 09:18 AM   #11
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
Poll's closed. Chicago wins. If having me ride to it is a win.
Any suggestions for a route across Ohio? I'm going to be camping (legally) wherever possible. I'm estimating six days to cross the state from Weirton, WV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 01:16 PM   #12
velonomad 
Older I get, Better I was
 
velonomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Greenfield Lake, Wilmington NC
Bikes: '14 BD Lurch Fatbike, '10 custom road,'06 custom expedition, '94 Yokota Tandem, '88 custom MTB
Posts: 1,678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
A few years ago I rode from Mansfield OH to Pittsburgh . I didn't keep notes on the route but looking at the map . It was OH 39 to OH 212 to Ohio 151 and then I followed the side roads along US 22 into Steubenville. 39 was a good road but it got pretty busy around Millersburg ( Ohio's answer to Lancaster PA just more tacky) 151 was hilly and rough in places but I think there was an adjacent railtrail . I had a down hill ride into Stuebenville, I'm glad I wasn't riding up. Total distance to Steubenville was around 140 miles IIRC.

Last edited by velonomad; 11-05-09 at 01:08 AM.
velonomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 10:27 AM   #13
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by velonomad View Post
A few years ago I rode from Mansfield OH to Pittsburgh . I didn't keep notes on the route but looking at the map . It was OH 39 to OH 212 to Ohio 151 and then I followed the side roads along US 22 into Steubenville. 39 was a good road but it got pretty busy around Millersburg ( Ohio's answer to Lancaster PA just more tacky) 151 was hilly and rough in places but I think there was an adjacent railtrail . I had a down hill ride into Stuebenville, I'm glad I wasn't riding up. Total distance to Steubenville was around 140 miles IIRC.
I plan on starting from Spinnaker's 'ostello' a couple of miles from the Montour Trail, take that to MacDonald, then follow the Panhandle Trail to Weirton, WV. Since that looks to be less than a 35 mile day, I'll cross the river into Ohio before I stop for the night.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 10:57 AM   #14
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Wyoming
Bikes:
Posts: 2,267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Historian -

About that river crossing -
Last I heard the Fort Steuben Bridge is closed to all - including peds & cyclists.
http://www.historicbridges.org/ohio/...uben/index.htm
The US 22 Expressway bridge prohibits cyclists -
That leaves the old Market St. Bridge - which has a metal grating sidewalk and steps.
http://www.historicbridges.org/ohio/market/index.htm
Unfortunately, this bridge will be closed for repairs in 2010.
http://www.wva.state.wv.us/wvdot/marketstreetbridge/

That leaves ONLY the US 22 Expressway - unless they have delayed the demolition of the Fort Steuben Bridge and will reopen it to bike/ped traffic. I have been in touch with Ohio and WV DOTs about this and they really don't care. Despite the requirements in ISTEA and TEA-21 federal highway legislation for multimodality - cars are all that matter.

I hate to say it - but cycling organization are going to have to step up to the plate and sue the crap out of these agencies - holding up funds for new bridges and highways. Far too often, new highways form a "Chinese Wall" - banning cyclists on the new roads while making all access across the highway impossible.

You could ride up to East Liverpool, but there is a nice rail trail from Jewett to Connotton 20 miles west of Steubenville.
http://www.crossroadsrcd.org/hctrail/

I am of the mind to get arrested and use the arrest to hold up federal highway funds. I wouldn't go out of my way - but I would get onto US 22 on the WV side, ride across the US 22 bridge, and exit on the Ohio side. I would have a typed letter of complaint to both state DOTs, the Federal Highway Admin, and the League of American Cyclists (Just one letter) in a ziploc bag ready to go. Stating to any officer than a ticket gives one legal standing to sue for failure to comply with federal standards. It would really miff them - and might get you a ride to the station house. But I am so sick of major crossings getting HARDER to cross over the past 10 years.

<<<>>>

Did you see my earlier post about the Old Lincoln Highway?
In Ohio they have detailed section maps.
All of the old road has been bypassed by a new express US 30.
There are excellent historic sites all along the road - including a few original sections.
jamawani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 11:11 AM   #15
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamawani View Post
Historian -

About that river crossing -
Last I heard the Fort Steuben Bridge is closed to all - including peds & cyclists.
http://www.historicbridges.org/ohio/...uben/index.htm
The US 22 Expressway bridge prohibits cyclists -
That leaves the old Market St. Bridge - which has a metal grating sidewalk and steps.
http://www.historicbridges.org/ohio/market/index.htm
Unfortunately, this bridge will be closed for repairs in 2010.
http://www.wva.state.wv.us/wvdot/marketstreetbridge/

That leaves ONLY the US 22 Expressway - unless they have delayed the demolition of the Fort Steuben Bridge and will reopen it to bike/ped traffic. I have been in touch with Ohio and WV DOTs about this and they really don't care. Despite the requirements in ISTEA and TEA-21 federal highway legislation for multimodality - cars are all that matter.

I hate to say it - but cycling organization are going to have to step up to the plate and sue the crap out of these agencies - holding up funds for new bridges and highways. Far too often, new highways form a "Chinese Wall" - banning cyclists on the new roads while making all access across the highway impossible.

You could ride up to East Liverpool, but there is a nice rail trail from Jewett to Connotton 20 miles west of Steubenville.
http://www.crossroadsrcd.org/hctrail/

I am of the mind to get arrested and use the arrest to hold up federal highway funds. I wouldn't go out of my way - but I would get onto US 22 on the WV side, ride across the US 22 bridge, and exit on the Ohio side. I would have a typed letter of complaint to both state DOTs, the Federal Highway Admin, and the League of American Cyclists (Just one letter) in a ziploc bag ready to go. Stating to any officer than a ticket gives one legal standing to sue for failure to comply with federal standards. It would really miff them - and might get you a ride to the station house. But I am so sick of major crossings getting HARDER to cross over the past 10 years.

<<<>>>

Did you see my earlier post about the Old Lincoln Highway?
In Ohio they have detailed section maps.
All of the old road has been bypassed by a new express US 30.
There are excellent historic sites all along the road - including a few original sections.
Jamawani, thanks for the information. I'll try to determine a way across at Weirton without the trip to the big house. I do thank you for volunteering me to get arrested. Was that prompted by the entire Touring forum or just your personal feelings for me?

I did see the Old Lincoln Highway information, thanks. I might abandon the Montour/Panhandle first day and head directly to East Liverpool directly. The bridge crossing at Weirton might be more trouble than the hills between my start and Ohio.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:22 AM.