Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member bobframe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Georgia
    My Bikes
    Cervelo Soloist, Giant TCR Advanced, Co-Motion Americano Co-Pilot
    Posts
    304
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Junk in the Trunk

    I am setting up my T-bike now and am down to the "short strokes". I think I'd like to add a "trunk bag" for tent poles, tools, and assorted whatever. I have a Tubus Cargo rear rack that I'd like it to sit atop and either strap it or bungy it down to the rack. I am using Ortlieb rear panniers.

    Unfortunately, the Tubus rack has an odd "turn up" in the tubing shown below that reduces the potential length of any bag that might sit atop the rack. In order to fit inside the upward curls and the end of the rack the most a bag could be is 12-13". Wondering if anyone has ever bent these down to flow straight? Or hacked them off? If I could eliminate these bends, I could use a longer bag (btw, tent poles are ~16.5")...which would be ideal. Would love to straighten these bends out.

    The Ortlieb trunk bags are huge and seem to be made to position across the tops of the rear panniers. The Arkel bag looks more like it, but may be too long at 16".

    Any suggsetions? BTW, waterproof cover gets bonus points.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bobframe; 10-26-09 at 01:50 PM.

  2. #2
    It's true, man.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Texas
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem
    Posts
    2,726
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could cut the curved-up loadstops off.

    You also need not be concerned if your load extends over one end of the rack or another, as long as it doesn't cause any actual problems.

  3. #3
    Crazyguyonabike
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Albany, OR
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Divide
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an Arkel Tailrider which I use on my Tubus Cosmo rack without any problems. The new Cosmo has the same turnups at the front as the Cargo.

    Neil

  4. #4
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,419
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
    I am setting up my T-bike now and am down to the "short strokes". I think I'd like to add a "trunk bag" for tent poles, tools, and assorted whatever. I have a Tubus Cargo rear rack that I'd like it to sit atop and either strap it or bungy it down to the rack. I am using Ortlieb rear panniers.

    Unfortunately, the Tubus rack has an odd "turn up" in the tubing shown below that reduces the potential length of any bag that might sit atop the rack. In order to fit inside the upward curls and the end of the rack the most a bag could be is 12-13". Wondering if anyone has ever bent these down to flow straight? Or hacked them off? If I could eliminate these bends, I could use a longer bag (btw, tent poles are ~16.5")...which would be ideal. Would love to straighten these bends out.

    The Ortlieb trunk bags are huge and seem to be made to position across the tops of the rear panniers. The Arkel bag looks more like it, but may be too long at 16".

    Any suggsetions? BTW, waterproof cover gets bonus points.

    The Tubus Cargo is a pretty long rack. I use a trunk bag on mine for commuting and never have a problem with it fitting. If you want a rack without the bag stops, look at a Vega. Slightly narrower on top but the deck is flat.



    The trunk bag on a tour is kind of overkill. I carry my tent and sleeping bag on the rear rack. Pannier space is too valuable and a trunk bag constrains your space on the rack. I cover my sleeping bag with a plastic garbage bag when it rains.

    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Cyclebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NE Tx
    My Bikes
    Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial
    Posts
    2,623
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have never understood why they put those obstructions on racks. I cut them off. The dry bag goes all the way to the seat post and my pole sack fits snugly beside the bag, both tied to the seat post for extra security. No worry about the bag sagging and obstructing the taillight.
    The bicycle is one of the great inventions of mankind. Delights children, challenges young men to feats of daring, and turns old men into boys again.--Me

  6. #6
    Senior Member bobframe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Georgia
    My Bikes
    Cervelo Soloist, Giant TCR Advanced, Co-Motion Americano Co-Pilot
    Posts
    304
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilGunton View Post
    I have an Arkel Tailrider which I use on my Tubus Cosmo rack without any problems. The new Cosmo has the same turnups at the front as the Cargo.

    Neil
    Neil, Does the Arkel bag sit on top of the "up turns"? Or does it fit between them?

  7. #7
    Senior Member bobframe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Georgia
    My Bikes
    Cervelo Soloist, Giant TCR Advanced, Co-Motion Americano Co-Pilot
    Posts
    304
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclebum View Post
    Have never understood why they put those obstructions on racks. I cut them off. The dry bag goes all the way to the seat post and my pole sack fits snugly beside the bag, both tied to the seat post for extra security. No worry about the bag sagging and obstructing the taillight.
    This makes sense to me... I see no value in these "obstructions" either. Just a hacksaw? Did you finish the ends off or just live with the sawn off ends?

    What "dry bag" do you use?

  8. #8
    Crazyguyonabike
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Albany, OR
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Divide
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
    Neil, Does the Arkel bag sit on top of the "up turns"? Or does it fit between them?
    The Tailrider is too wide to fit between the struts, it just kind of butts up against them. The pics below should give you some idea (sorry for the quality - it's raining hard outside right now and I didn't feel like opening the garage door). The bike is on the double stand with the front wheel down, so that accounts for the downward slant in the photos. Also, the bag is not strapped onto the rack here, it's just sitting on top.

    Neil
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Senior Member Cyclebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NE Tx
    My Bikes
    Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial
    Posts
    2,623
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hacksawed them off and smoothed the ends with a grinder.

    Outdoor Research dry bags. Soft, yet waterproof. Easy to stuff. Subtract 3 inches to get effective length as they use roll down closures.
    The bicycle is one of the great inventions of mankind. Delights children, challenges young men to feats of daring, and turns old men into boys again.--Me

  10. #10
    <riding now> BigAura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chapin, SC
    My Bikes
    surly LHT, paris sport fixie, trek 5000, fuji ss
    Posts
    1,346
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Break the tent (et al) into two small, foot long, waterproof stuff sacks. Strap poles the longways through the rack's upturned ends. Strap the stuff sacks crossways on the rack. Trunks are pretty heavy (at least a pound) and unless you REALLY need the pockets I'd forget the trunk.

  11. #11
    eternalvoyage
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The purpose of the turnups is supposedly to keep (wide) items that are on top of the rack back far enough and out of the way.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Sport 2009, Giant Yukon FX3
    Posts
    1,467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >The trunk bag on a tour is kind of overkill. I carry my tent and sleeping bag on the rear rack. Pannier space is too valuable and a trunk bag constrains your space on the rack.

    Looking at your massive load, you're probably right. I use a rack bag just for sheer convenience - I've developed a strong preference for bags that can be attached and removed easily, rather than strapping endless items on. The Topeak MTX system is good for combining a rack bag with panniers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •