My partner and I are plotting a mini-tour this February - 2 weeks long, and somewhere warm. We did a huge US pacific coast tour this summer and want this tour to be a little more luxurious; less climbing, less gear (maybe no cooking, and maybe only in hotels), lots of rest days with beaches and lounging in cities.
We're in Vancouver BC and are thinking about flying to Mexico. A tentative idea is to fly into Cabo San Lucas (taking advantage of affordable flights) and then do a loop to La Paz and back. I've already searched this forum and crazyguy but have a few specific questions if anyone has been there recently.
1. What are the highways like. This thread (Baja Tour) says Hwy 19 has heavy traffic and rude drivers. We probably want to avoid heavy traffic and definitely want to avoid having bottles thrown at us. Can anyone comment on this?
2. Are there alternatives to the main highways? It look like there are roads that go along the waterfront in the eastern part, from Los Palmas to San Jose del Cabo, is that true? Are they paved or dirt? Are there towns along that road? hotels, restaurants? What about on the main highways, is it easy to find hotels and restaurants or should we plan to camp?
3. If we do this loop, should we go clockwise or counterclockwise? (or does it matter?)
4. How expensive is it? I've heard people say Baja has $20 hotels, but the bottom tip is more resort-y and maybe there aren't cheap hotels there?
5. Safety? Most information I've heard says Baja is quite safe, moreso than the rest of Mexico, is that true? If we camp could we sleep on the beach?
6. I plan to get the Baja Almanac (http://www.baja-almanac.com/), is that a good resource? Is there anything else I should look for? Specifically I'll want to know about elevation, road condition (paved/dirt), location of towns and services.
7. Most importantly does this sound like a good idea? Does anything else come to mind that would give us what we want (North America, warm and sunny in February, total length of a few hundred miles at most, opportunities for relaxing along the way).