Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    No Heroes EvoFX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, Ca / Nampa, ID
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Eros//2007 Fuji Touring
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    windsor tourist 2009

    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/tourist.htm

    has anyone purchased a more recent model for touring? i have searched and found reviews for 06 and 05, nothing with the recent changes.

    its something i am looking into since i dont have a ton of cash to splash for my trip, and this is something that i have heard good things about with the older models for how much it is.

  2. #2
    ah.... sure. kayakdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Whidbey Island WA
    My Bikes
    Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..
    Posts
    4,106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you could squeeze together $200 more.....

    No personal experience with it but... I've seen it in person and it's a pretty sharp looking bike. That being said... For $200 more you can get a Novara Rondanee at this time on clearance with actual bike setup and a warranty that BD can't touch. It's your money though.

    I would suggest the Fuji touring also from Performance for the very same reason and it's the same bike as the BD.

    If your handy with the tools then... Go for it. Just be aware that if anything goes wrong it will not be the same 100% satisfaction or your money back refund policy with the two I mentioned.

    A few on this board have them and have toured tons with success.
    Save 15% on your first order at Hammer Nutrition!!

    2010 Giant TCR SL 3
    2010 Novara Randonee

  3. #3
    vintage tourer
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    japan
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the bottom line is that this will be a servicable bike; not entirely a POS, just nearly so. it will get you where you are going. if you look at the specs, 80% of the components, including the frame, are windsor brand; i.e. cheapest available. don't expect the hubs and bottom brackets to last very long. it's also going to be heavy; notice that there is no weight info. also don't be fooled be the "list price"; this bike has alwas been price point. if you do get this bike, i wouldn't let any sales people try to let you upgrade to better components. stick with bottom shelf parts and save your money for a better bike down the road. and if you let this bike go to hell, you won't need to feel bad about it.

    if you are really strapped for cash, why not go for the Mercier Galaxy Road Bike? it's no worse and much cheaper. and at least the tubing is from reynolds. (just make sure it has enough eyelets for both rack and fenders. it's hard to tell from the pics)

    otherwise i'd suggest that you try getting your hands on a used trek, rei Novara Rondanee, fuji, jamis aurora, etc. you should be able to get one for the same amount of cash and it'll be a much better bike all around, even if a few components need to be replaced immediately.
    Last edited by philso; 01-23-10 at 07:08 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member rumrunn6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    25 miles northwest of Boston
    My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Posts
    12,461
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if it's as good as a fuji touring then it's a good deal. I found the fuji tourist to be very comfortable
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

  5. #5
    Senior Member FlatSix911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoFX View Post
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/tourist.htm



    has anyone purchased a more recent model for touring? i have searched and found reviews for 06 and 05, nothing with the recent changes.

    its something i am looking into since i don't have a ton of cash to splash for my trip, and this is something that i have heard good things about with the older models for how much it is.

    The Windsor Tourist is a nice bike and an excellent value for $599...

    Have you also considered the 2010 Motobecane Fantom CX for $559?
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._cross_cx3.htm

    You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
    You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by philso View Post
    the bottom line is that this will be a servicable bike; not entirely a POS, just nearly so. it will get you where you are going. if you look at the specs, 80% of the components, including the frame, are windsor brand; i.e. cheapest available. don't expect the hubs and bottom brackets to last very long. it's also going to be heavy; notice that there is no weight info. also don't be fooled be the "list price"; this bike has alwas been price point. if you do get this bike, i wouldn't let any sales people try to let you upgrade to better components. stick with bottom shelf parts and save your money for a better bike down the road. and if you let this bike go to hell, you won't need to feel bad about it.

    if you are really strapped for cash, why not go for the Mercier Galaxy Road Bike? it's no worse and much cheaper. and at least the tubing is from reynolds. (just make sure it has enough eyelets for both rack and fenders. it's hard to tell from the pics)

    otherwise i'd suggest that you try getting your hands on a used trek, rei Novara Rondanee, fuji, jamis aurora, etc. you should be able to get one for the same amount of cash and it'll be a much better bike all around, even if a few components need to be replaced immediately.
    hmm, one of my bikes is an '09 Windsor Tourist and I have a few opinions about it after a thousand miles or so.

    First off, to address philso's points, I don't agree that it is "not entirely a POS, just nearly so" as mentioned above. Not sure why you would say that, and then suggest later on to buy a Fuji tourer instead, as they are virtually the same bike. Secondly, the components are not "windsor brand". No such thing, virtually no bike/frame maker manufactures components, and the comment belies a basic misunderstanding of the bike biz. Many of the components on the Tourist are the same as on a Jamis Aurora, for instance. I didn't have the option to upgrade components either, as there really aren't sales people, just some people that answer phones and take orders - in other words, there are no options, the bike is what it is.

    Now, having gotten that out of the way, here are my findings:

    1. the frame is not that heavy for a touring bike, about average in fact. and is 4130 steel (again, it is the same frame as the Fuji tourer).
    2. components have held up well, there are some complaints on some threads on these boards about the bottom bracket going after a short time, but so far that has not been an issue for me.
    3. the included rear rack is nothing special, I use it for commuting, but would probably use my blackburn rack for longer touring. And, btw, the Mercier Galaxy does not have braze-ons for mounting a front pannier rack.
    4. The pedals are silly, very narrow, and really not much use for anyone with an average foot width. Throw them away.
    5. Now, the wheels. There are numerous threads on these boards about the machine made wheels on both BD and Fuji tourers, particularly the rear wheels. I have to agree, and after breaking a few spokes and having the rear wheel trued a few times, I finally broke down and had my LBS rebuild the wheel using the same rim and hub and with heavier spokes. I have had no issues since then.

    My overall analysis of this bike is that it is a good performer - and in terms of value , keeping in mind some of the complaints on these boards, I think that if you had to, you could rebuild the rear wheel, replace the pedals, replace the bottom bracket, AND get a different rear rack and STILL come out spending less on it than comparable new bicycles, starting with the Fuji.
    Last edited by Trueblood; 01-23-10 at 09:19 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Crystal MN
    Posts
    2,147
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    06 I got 12,000 miles on my first one, I just replaced it.

    08 I got 7700 miles on my second one.

    These things are built like a tank.
    My Youtube Cycling Videos Here

  8. #8
    ah.... sure. kayakdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Whidbey Island WA
    My Bikes
    Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..
    Posts
    4,106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wheel View Post
    06 I got 12,000 miles on my first one, I just replaced it.

    08 I got 7700 miles on my second one.

    These things are built like a tank.
    Why only 12K miles? What went wrong or did you just want something newer?
    Save 15% on your first order at Hammer Nutrition!!

    2010 Giant TCR SL 3
    2010 Novara Randonee

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyakdiver View Post
    Why only 12K miles? What went wrong or did you just want something newer?
    Agreed.


    Why are people discarding these bikes with so little miles? LOL! If anyone on the forum is discarding their Trek 520 after 12K miles, please send me a PM!

  10. #10
    Senior Member wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Crystal MN
    Posts
    2,147
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyakdiver View Post
    Why only 12K miles? What went wrong or did you just want something newer?
    I bought a back up bike. I am car free. I wanted the same thing.
    My Youtube Cycling Videos Here

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    boston
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my Windsor Tourist about two years ago, and I rode it to work (about 15 miles) May thru October both in 08 and 09 about three or four times a week; It has had two repairs. One was the rear tube that I replaced myself. The other was a broken spoke replacement and rear wheel true that I had done at the Broadway Bicycle School for $25. That's it.

    By the way, I can confirm that the bike is nearly identical to the Fuji Tourer, but it doesn't have the suicide levers. I have seen them side by side.

    Yes many of the parts are no-name, but this isn't an expensive bike either. I like the Tiagra shifters. I never use the big chainring.

  12. #12
    vintage tourer
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    japan
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Trueblood;10309591]...

    "...Secondly, the components are not "windsor brand". No such thing, virtually no bike/frame maker manufactures components, and the comment belies a basic misunderstanding of the bike biz. ..."

    windsor brand as listed on spec page( http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...rist.htm#specs ):

    Main Frame Windsor custom butted 4130 Cro-Moly, Double water bottle mounts
    Rear Triangle Windsor custom tapered Cro-Moly with forged dropout, Spare spoke holder, rack mounts, 130mm rear spacing
    Fork Windsor custom tapered Cro-Moly, front Rack Brazeons
    Front Hub Windsor Sealed Alloy Road, 36H
    Stem Windsor Superlight Road Aluminum, 0 Degree, 1" Removable Clamp
    Tape/Grip Windsor custom cork wrap Black
    Saddle Windsor Sport "Crater" Touring
    Seat Clamp New Windsor Ultralite alloy, Lazer etched

    the exact point is not that they don't manufacture their own, but that they claim to;when in reality , to put the best spin on it, they are either having a manufacturer produce these parts to their own specs or just picking up the cheapest ones available and trying to make it sound good, which is what i suspect.

    " Many of the components on the Tourist are the same as on a Jamis Aurora, for instance."
    true! the same or about the same quality. dependable probably describes them best:

    Front Derailleur Shimano Tiagra, clamp-on, 31.8mm
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore, 9-speed
    Shifters Shimano Tiagra STI, 9-speed

    i'm guessing these are all right, though i don't really know:

    Cassette/Freewheel SRAM 9-speed, 11-32T
    Tires Kenda Eurotrek, 700 x 32c, presta valve tubes
    Crankset TruVativ Touro Cold Forged Road, 30/42/52T
    Pedals Wellgo Alloy Road w/ clips and straps

    the gearing is pretty nice

    no name components:

    Chain SuperNarrow 9-Speed
    Brake Set Tektro Oryx Cantilever
    Brake Levers Shimano Tiagra, 9-speed STI
    Rear Hub Sealed Bearing Freehub, 36H, 130mm rear spacing
    Seat Post Superlite Micro Adjust alloy, 250mm, 27.2
    Rims Double Wall Aluminum, 36H, CNC sidewall
    Headset Sealed 1"
    Handlebar 6061 Butted Road, Anatomical Drops
    Bottom Bracket Sealed cartridge

    chromium molybdemum steel is good, and 4130 is Cro-Moly. but my understanding is that 4230 is the generic stuff and isn't as good as Reynolds and Columbus. i'm not a metalurgist, but this seems to be the general scuttlebutt.

    "I didn't have the option to upgrade components either, as there really aren't sales people, just some people that answer phones and take orders - in other words, there are no options, the bike is what it is."
    i was thinking of upgrading as the components need replacing.

    "And, btw, the Mercier Galaxy does not have braze-ons for mounting a front pannier rack."
    good point! those pics aren't very much use. and i didn't take the time to investigate, but the geometry didn't look as good. but for $200 cheaper, probably ok for someone with no money to spend. on the other hand, the windsor chainstays are pretty short for a touring bike.

    "My overall analysis of this bike is that it is a good performer "
    i called it servicable. my "nearly POS" may have been a little strong, but marketing hype of mediocre products really turns me off.

    the dependability of the shimano parts and the gearing are what save this bike from actually being what i implied. i think i'd still try for a used better bike, though.
    Last edited by philso; 01-24-10 at 11:26 AM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,599
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by philso View Post
    [Main Frame Windsor custom butted 4130 Cro-Moly, Double water bottle mounts
    Rear Triangle Windsor custom tapered Cro-Moly with forged dropout, Spare spoke holder, rack mounts, 130mm rear spacing
    Fork Windsor custom tapered Cro-Moly, front Rack Brazeons
    This is the frame set. Of course, it's a "Windsor". Why did you list these?

    Quote Originally Posted by philso View Post
    Front Hub Windsor Sealed Alloy Road, 36H
    This is one "good" example.

    Quote Originally Posted by philso View Post
    Stem Windsor Superlight Road Aluminum, 0 Degree, 1" Removable Clamp
    No big deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by philso View Post
    Seat Clamp New Windsor Ultralite alloy, Lazer etched
    No big deal. (How many manufacterers list this as made by anybody special?

    Quote Originally Posted by philso View Post
    Tape/Grip Windsor custom cork wrap Black
    You have got to be kidding!

    Quote Originally Posted by philso View Post
    Saddle Windsor Sport "Crater" Touring
    Not that big a deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by philso View Post
    the exact point is not that they don't manufacture their own, but that they claim to;when in reality , to put the best spin on it, they are either having a manufacturer produce these parts to their own specs or just picking up the cheapest ones available and trying to make it sound good, which is what i suspect.
    Calling it "Windsor" doesn't make it "sound good". It's a $600 bike. I'm not sure what you expect. Anyway, it's pretty standard for brands, like Trek, to have other companies make components for with their labels.

    Quote Originally Posted by philso View Post
    " Many of the components on the Tourist are the same as on a Jamis Aurora, for instance."
    true! the same or about the same quality. dependable probably describes them best:

    Front Derailleur Shimano Tiagra, clamp-on, 31.8mm
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore, 9-speed
    Shifters Shimano Tiagra STI, 9-speed
    These are completely fine and found on more expensive bikes.

    Quote Originally Posted by philso View Post
    i'm guessing these are all right, though i don't really know:

    Cassette/Freewheel SRAM 9-speed, 11-32T
    Tires Kenda Eurotrek, 700 x 32c, presta valve tubes
    Crankset TruVativ Touro Cold Forged Road, 30/42/52T
    Pedals Wellgo Alloy Road w/ clips and straps
    These are probably OK (it's a $600 bike). The pedals are cheap.

    Quote Originally Posted by philso View Post
    no name components:

    Chain SuperNarrow 9-Speed
    Brake Set Tektro Oryx Cantilever
    Brake Levers Shimano Tiagra, 9-speed STI
    Rear Hub Sealed Bearing Freehub, 36H, 130mm rear spacing
    Seat Post Superlite Micro Adjust alloy, 250mm, 27.2
    Rims Double Wall Aluminum, 36H, CNC sidewall
    Headset Sealed 1"
    Handlebar 6061 Butted Road, Anatomical Drops
    Bottom Bracket Sealed cartridge
    The Tektro brakes are very standard (replace the pads). The brifters are very standard and work fine. Seat posts and handle bars, who cares? The other stuff might so great (but it's a $600 bike).

    Quote Originally Posted by philso View Post
    chromium molybdemum steel is good, and 4130 is Cro-Moly. but my understanding is that 4230 is the generic stuff and isn't as good as Reynolds and Columbus. i'm not a metalurgist, but this seems to be the general scuttlebutt.
    Branded tubing is going to make the bike much more expensive. And the well-liked (and more expensive) Surley LHT doesn't use branded tubing.

    Quote Originally Posted by philso View Post
    i called it servicable. my "nearly POS" may have been a little strong, but marketing hype of mediocre products really turns me off.

    the dependability of the shimano parts and the gearing are what save this bike from actually being what i implied. i think i'd still try for a used better bike, though.
    "Marketing hype" of anything is a turn-off. It appears that people do fine with this (and the Fuji Touring) except for the wheels.
    Last edited by njkayaker; 01-24-10 at 01:11 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member BigBlueToe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Posts
    3,388
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyakdiver View Post
    If you could squeeze together $200 more.....

    No personal experience with it but... I've seen it in person and it's a pretty sharp looking bike. That being said... For $200 more you can get a Novara Rondanee at this time on clearance with actual bike setup and a warranty that BD can't touch. It's your money though.
    This is what I would do. I've always felt the Randonee is a solid bike, and the REI customer service is excellent.

    There's a guy on here who bought 2 Windsors and rode across the country with his daughter(?) Anyway, I've heard him say he had no trouble with them.

    I met a guy in Glacier who had ridden a Fuji Tourist there from Buffalo. He had wheel troubles, and replaced them in Yellowstone. He wasn't carrying much weight. Other that that, he was very satisfied with his bike.

    No matter what bike you end up with, I'd suggest having a good mechanic check out the wheels - especially the rear - and make sure theiry tour worthy. It might just take a little tweaking to get the tensioning correct. It could make a big difference. I've had troubles with spokes breaking before that ruined a tour. Since I've paid extra attention to the rear wheel prior to going on tour I've never broken a spoke. (But I now have the tools to replace one and carry a couple of spares.)
    Last edited by BigBlueToe; 01-24-10 at 01:13 PM.

  15. #15
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Posts
    25,852
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueToe View Post
    This is what I would do. I've always felt the Randonee is a solid bike, and the REI customer service is excellent.

    There's a guy on here who bought 2 Windsors and rode across the country with his daughter(?) Anyway, I've heard him say he had no trouble with them.

    I met a guy in Glacier who had ridden a Fuji Tourist there from Buffalo. He had wheel troubles, and replaced them in Yellowstone. He wasn't carrying much weight.

    No matter what bike you end up with, I'd suggest having a good mechanice check out the wheels - especially the rear - and make sure theiry tour worthy. It might just take a little tweaking to get the tensioning correct. It could make a big difference. I've had troubles with spokes breaking before that ruined a tour. Since I've paid extra attention to the rear wheel prior to going on tour I've never broken a spoke. (But I now have the tools to replace one and carry a couple of spares.)
    Roy has 40,000 miles on his.


  16. #16
    No Heroes EvoFX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, Ca / Nampa, ID
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Eros//2007 Fuji Touring
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm, for the winsor, they have size of 54 cm and 58. i am 5'9 and would fit confortable on a 56cm. which one would be ideal size?

    looking online i have the option of a 54 or a 58 for my size.

  17. #17
    ah.... sure. kayakdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Whidbey Island WA
    My Bikes
    Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..
    Posts
    4,106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoFX View Post
    hmmm, for the winsor, they have size of 54 cm and 58. i am 5'9 and would fit confortable on a 56cm. which one would be ideal size?

    looking online i have the option of a 54 or a 58 for my size.
    If you're not sure... buying online isn't a great idea. Just sayin. I'm taller than you and would never consider a 58 because I know what size fits me. Would the 54 fit? Maybe.

    Good luck. Hope it fits.
    Save 15% on your first order at Hammer Nutrition!!

    2010 Giant TCR SL 3
    2010 Novara Randonee

  18. #18
    Senior Member emarg0ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Custom Singlespeed commuter, Kona Dew Deluxe
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    probably the 54. I'm 5' 11" and usually ride a 56, but one of my bikes is a 54 and it was very easy to make it fit nicely. getting a frame that's too big can be pretty difficult to modify to make it fit better. at least that's been the case for me.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=philso;10311101]
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueblood View Post
    ...

    "...Secondly, the components are not "windsor brand". No such thing, virtually no bike/frame maker manufactures components, and the comment belies a basic misunderstanding of the bike biz. ..."

    windsor brand as listed on spec page( http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...rist.htm#specs ):

    Main Frame Windsor custom butted 4130 Cro-Moly, Double water bottle mounts
    Rear Triangle Windsor custom tapered Cro-Moly with forged dropout, Spare spoke holder, rack mounts, 130mm rear spacing
    Fork Windsor custom tapered Cro-Moly, front Rack Brazeons
    Front Hub Windsor Sealed Alloy Road, 36H
    Stem Windsor Superlight Road Aluminum, 0 Degree, 1" Removable Clamp
    Tape/Grip Windsor custom cork wrap Black
    Saddle Windsor Sport "Crater" Touring
    Seat Clamp New Windsor Ultralite alloy, Lazer etched

    the exact point is not that they don't manufacture their own, but that they claim to;when in reality , to put the best spin on it, they are either having a manufacturer produce these parts to their own specs or just picking up the cheapest ones available and trying to make it sound good, which is what i suspect.

    " Many of the components on the Tourist are the same as on a Jamis Aurora, for instance."
    true! the same or about the same quality. dependable probably describes them best:

    Front Derailleur Shimano Tiagra, clamp-on, 31.8mm
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore, 9-speed
    Shifters Shimano Tiagra STI, 9-speed

    i'm guessing these are all right, though i don't really know:

    Cassette/Freewheel SRAM 9-speed, 11-32T
    Tires Kenda Eurotrek, 700 x 32c, presta valve tubes
    Crankset TruVativ Touro Cold Forged Road, 30/42/52T
    Pedals Wellgo Alloy Road w/ clips and straps

    the gearing is pretty nice

    no name components:

    Chain SuperNarrow 9-Speed
    Brake Set Tektro Oryx Cantilever
    Brake Levers Shimano Tiagra, 9-speed STI
    Rear Hub Sealed Bearing Freehub, 36H, 130mm rear spacing
    Seat Post Superlite Micro Adjust alloy, 250mm, 27.2
    Rims Double Wall Aluminum, 36H, CNC sidewall
    Headset Sealed 1"
    Handlebar 6061 Butted Road, Anatomical Drops
    Bottom Bracket Sealed cartridge

    chromium molybdemum steel is good, and 4130 is Cro-Moly. but my understanding is that 4230 is the generic stuff and isn't as good as Reynolds and Columbus. i'm not a metalurgist, but this seems to be the general scuttlebutt.

    "I didn't have the option to upgrade components either, as there really aren't sales people, just some people that answer phones and take orders - in other words, there are no options, the bike is what it is."
    i was thinking of upgrading as the components need replacing.

    "And, btw, the Mercier Galaxy does not have braze-ons for mounting a front pannier rack."
    good point! those pics aren't very much use. and i didn't take the time to investigate, but the geometry didn't look as good. but for $200 cheaper, probably ok for someone with no money to spend. on the other hand, the windsor chainstays are pretty short for a touring bike.

    "My overall analysis of this bike is that it is a good performer "
    i called it servicable. my "nearly POS" may have been a little strong, but marketing hype of mediocre products really turns me off.

    the dependability of the shimano parts and the gearing are what save this bike from actually being what i implied. i think i'd still try for a used better bike, though.

    Thanks for the breakdown on the components. I know many people dislike BD's marketing. For myself, I guess there are lots of products I like and use, while at the same time not caring for their marketing techniques. Interestingly enough, on the Fuji site for their tourer, they seem to do the same thing even though the frames for the Windsor Tourist and Fuji and both made in the same factory in China. My understanding from other threads on this site is that most steel touring frames are made in one or two factories there.

    http://www.fujibikes.com/LifeStyle/C...s/Touring.aspx

    From the above link:

    Main frame Fuji Elios 2 custom butted Cro-Moly with outer butted seat tube, Double water bottle mounts
    Fork Fuji 1" Custom Tapered Cro-Moly, with Low Rider mounts
    Front hub Fuji Sealed Alloy Road, 36H
    Rear hub Fuji Sealed Alloy Body and Cassette, 36H
    Rims Fuji Double Wall Aluminum, 36H, Black CNC sidewall
    Headset Fuji 1" Threaded Alloy Road W/Roller Bearing
    Handlebar Fuji 6061 Butted Road, Anatomical Drops
    Stem Fuji Superlight Road Aluminum, 0 Degree, Removable Clamp
    Tape/grip Fuji custom cork wrap
    Saddle Fuji Road Sport Anatomical Saddle
    Seat post Fuji Superlite Micro Adjust alloy, 250mm
    Seat clamp Fuji Ultralite alloy, 28.6mm, Laser etched

    Jamis seems to do it a little less on their site, but still brands certain parts they don't make - http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...rora_spec.html
    Grips
    Jamis natural cork bar tape

    Saddle
    Jamis Touring Sport with satin steel rails

    Surly brands their LHT frames, as one would expect, which I notice are also 4130 steel - http://surlybikes.com/bikes/long_haul_trucker_complete/

    FrameSurly Long Haul Trucker, 100% Surly 4130 CroMoly steel. Main triangle double butted. TIG-welded
    ForkSurly Long Haul Trucker, 100% CroMoly, lugged and brazed. 1-1/8" threadless steer tube uncut
    Seatpost ClampSurly Stainless, Natural Silver

    I guess there are plenty of products that are hyped or over-hyped, some are good, some not, and bicyclists being so passionate about bikes, BD can put some people off. The trick is not to dismiss the product entirely - just disregard the hype.
    Last edited by Trueblood; 01-24-10 at 06:41 PM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member staehpj1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Parkville, Md
    Posts
    7,750
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoFX View Post
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/tourist.htm

    has anyone purchased a more recent model for touring? i have searched and found reviews for 06 and 05, nothing with the recent changes.

    its something i am looking into since i dont have a ton of cash to splash for my trip, and this is something that i have heard good things about with the older models for how much it is.
    Three of us bought them in 2007 to do the Trans America. They served us well and all three of us were quite happy with them. We have all continued to ride them since then with no complaints.

    The spec doesn't look like they have changed much if at all. I would suggest a crank that will allow lower gearing if you will be touring where it is hilly. We used a Sugino XD600.

  21. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just purchased a 2010 recently and with only 12 miles can't say much. At this point I'm very happy. I couldn't manage a $1000 expenditure. I will use it for my 16 mile commute. I'm 5'9" and have the 54cm and the fit is perfect for me.

  22. #22
    Senior Member zeppinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Seoul, South Korea
    My Bikes
    Giant FCR3, Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy the REI Rondonee. for the extra $200 you can get the bike custom fitted by someone who knows what they are doing. If you have to rebuild the rear wheel on the Windsor during your trip or bottom bracket then you will almost pass the rondonee in price anyways. If something goes wrong with the Rondonee on tour, unlikely, then you can go to ANY REI in the country and get it fixed for free. The REI return police is badass as well. If you decide you just dont like it in a few months, size, fit, weight, whatever, then you can also return it. That kind of NATION wide service can not be matched by ANY local bicycle shop let alone an internet dealer like BD.... The rear rack on the Rondonee is also much more substantial than the Windsor which saves you more money since I would want to replace that component too.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppinger View Post
    Buy the REI Rondonee. for the extra $200 you can get the bike custom fitted by someone who knows what they are doing. If you have to rebuild the rear wheel on the Windsor during your trip or bottom bracket then you will almost pass the rondonee in price anyways. If something goes wrong with the Rondonee on tour, unlikely, then you can go to ANY REI in the country and get it fixed for free. The REI return police is badass as well. If you decide you just dont like it in a few months, size, fit, weight, whatever, then you can also return it. That kind of NATION wide service can not be matched by ANY local bicycle shop let alone an internet dealer like BD.... The rear rack on the Rondonee is also much more substantial than the Windsor which saves you more money since I would want to replace that component too.
    According to this - http://www.rei.com/product/796696 - the Randonee is $400 more. That would cover a bit more than a rear wheel rebuild and a bottom bracket and a rear rack. I agree though about REI in terms of having any issues with the bike and assistance with sizing.

  24. #24
    Senior Member zeppinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Seoul, South Korea
    My Bikes
    Giant FCR3, Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueblood View Post
    According to this - http://www.rei.com/product/796696 - the Randonee is $400 more. That would cover a bit more than a rear wheel rebuild and a bottom bracket and a rear rack. I agree though about REI in terms of having any issues with the bike and assistance with sizing.
    They were on sale recently for $800 and I have seen them as low as $750. Go into your local REI and have them call around for your size. Maybe the sale is over? However, each store always has one or two in stock and they are not exactly fast sellers, no touring bike is. Thats why you can often get them so cheap. Over the course of the life of the bike the service will be invaluable, especially to someone who is just starting out and does not even know what size frame to buy. I just dont see the internet sites as being a good option for that kind of buyer. I do think that the Windsor is a quality bike for the price. However, for just a little more there is a lot that can be gained.

  25. #25
    Senior Member rumrunn6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    25 miles northwest of Boston
    My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Posts
    12,461
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Novara Randonee Touring Bike at REI only goes up to a medium at 55cm?

    http://www.rei.com/product/776887
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •