Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-10, 08:52 AM   #1
finnyfinfinbar
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Foix, South of France
Bikes: Specialized hardrock but want a tourer.
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Touring day dreamer!

Hi All,

I've introduced myself in the appropriate area but would also like to say a massive hello here as this is where I intend spending the majority of my time!

I am wanting to (and will) travel the world by bike, this much I now know having toyed with the idea of doing it by sail boat and motorbike for the past few years. I don't know which bike to get though Cannondale, Kona, Trek and Giant are in the pile of maybe's. Panniers v. Trailer, haven't a clue!! These are just some of the questions floating around my head.

I will take my time to read earlier posts etc to familiarise myself with what's gone on so as not to annoy anyone by asking the same things over again!

Anyhow, nice to be here and among fellow cyclists.

All the best,

Daz.
finnyfinfinbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 08:55 AM   #2
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.
 
kayakdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Whidbey Island WA
Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..
Posts: 4,107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Glad to have you Daz
kayakdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 10:21 AM   #3
xilios
Senior Member
 
xilios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maastricht, NL
Bikes: Gazelle Playa
Posts: 584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome
xilios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 07:21 AM   #4
finnyfinfinbar
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Foix, South of France
Bikes: Specialized hardrock but want a tourer.
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Xilios,

I like your site. I will use it as another reference point when setting myself up for my journey. If you are anywhere near Foix on your European trip this year then give me a shout, would be nice to see your set up and ask in person how it is all going.

Best, Daz.
finnyfinfinbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 07:32 AM   #5
D.B. Cooper
friction baby, friction
 
D.B. Cooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome, and THANK YOU for NOT asking;

panniers or trailer?

700 or 26?

brookes or gel?

tent or hammock?

campground or stealth?

mtn or road bike?

gps or map?

how do I get started?

blah blah blah
D.B. Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 07:47 AM   #6
EriktheFish
Silly Party Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NH
Bikes: Rans Stratus XP
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


..........
EriktheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 07:58 AM   #7
antokelly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,908
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
probably the most popular bike on this forum is the surly long haul trucker ,but i prefair my thorn sherpa excellent touring bike,as for panniers ortlieb bike packer plus is excellent ,hilleberg tent's expensive but reckoned to be the very best nallo gt2 been the favourate model,if i knew how to operate a gps i would buy one tomarrow cant go wrong ,or so im told.
if you go to the thorn website thats sjs cycles look up the top build of the sherpa that will give you a great idea how a proper bike shouls be built .
cheers.
antokelly
antokelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 08:35 AM   #8
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.
 
kayakdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Whidbey Island WA
Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..
Posts: 4,107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalphile View Post
Welcome, and THANK YOU for NOT asking;

panniers or trailer?

700 or 26?

brookes or gel?

tent or hammock?

campground or stealth?

mtn or road bike?

gps or map?

how do I get started?

blah blah blah
You forgot helmet or not
kayakdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 08:40 AM   #9
EriktheFish
Silly Party Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NH
Bikes: Rans Stratus XP
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyakdiver View Post
You forgot helmet or not
and how to deal with dogs...
EriktheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 12:16 PM   #10
finnyfinfinbar
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Foix, South of France
Bikes: Specialized hardrock but want a tourer.
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Pedalphile (and all who have posted),

I guess a lot of it comes down to personal preference so I'm OK with that. Also, a lot has to do with common sense and-the-like. My shopping list is simple...a bike that 'does what it says on the tin' and is capable of lasting many years as I plod around the globe...simple - isn't it...?!

I really do rate anything with an 'ortlieb' badge as I used them for many years in the army.

Tent - Got one though my hammock, roll matt and basha (poncho) will see me well for the most part.

Campsite or Stealth - Stealth & couchsurfing, doing it on a budget.

MTN bike or road bike - Something in between as I will want to venture off the beaten track on occasions.

GPS & map.

700 v. 26 - I know these are wheel sizes but does it matter? I presume people have gone around the world on both types so I'll probably go with whatever is on the bike at the time of purchase. If in doubt I'll ask for recommendations given the task involved.

How do I get started - I'm here, taking a back seat and soaking in the information that is presented before me from those more knowledgable than I.

Helmet - Better safe than sorry but won't always wear it - occasions for donning such an item should be obvious...I'm guessing.

Dogs - Pedal faster...!!

Having listed all the above it may seem that I now have all the answers... wrong... I'm sure my naivety will shine through. I just don't want the whole process to be over complicated. I just want a capable and comfortable bike to carry me and my kit slow-time around the world.

Best,

Daz.
finnyfinfinbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 12:21 PM   #11
finnyfinfinbar
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Foix, South of France
Bikes: Specialized hardrock but want a tourer.
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry, I left out Brookes v. Gel.

I haven't tried either but most rate the brookes so I'll get me one of them and hope my arse adapts rapidly. If not, I'll stop often or change it...easy! ha ha

Thanks all.
finnyfinfinbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 12:32 PM   #12
cyclezealot
Senior Member
 
cyclezealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
Posts: 13,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Welcome Finny.
..What a lucky person you are, living so near the base of the Pyrenees National park.. No wonder you are interested in touring..
Adventure Cycling might be a U.S. organization, but they review bikes which can be purchased world wide.. Each Spring their review of touring bikes is to be found in their magazine.. Looks like their past reviews are available on line.. I used this source when I purchased my touring bike. And will next time..My suggestion before you buy. Decide what is your own style of riding and your goals. That no one else can answer but you.
... Hope it is helpful... Happy Riding..
.
. Touring Bike Buyer's Guides
Adventure Cyclist began publishing practical advice for buying a touring bike in 1996. The articles have covered all kinds of bikes that can be used for bicycle travel — true touring bikes,...
Q&A with the Technical Editor (2009 Guide, PDF/924k)
Conversations between our technical editor and Adventure Cyclist readers sheds light on buying a touring bike
by John Schubert
Buying a Touring Bike in 2008 (PDF/ 656k)
Whatever your price range there's a touring bike for you
by John Schubert

http://www.adventurecycling.org/feat...uyersguide.cfm
__________________
Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living






^ Since January 1, 2012
cyclezealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 12:57 PM   #13
finnyfinfinbar
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Foix, South of France
Bikes: Specialized hardrock but want a tourer.
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Cyclezealot,

Thanks for the welcome.

It is absolutely beautiful here. I have only been here for around 5 months but feel I know the place well. More often that not I find myself walking up in the mountains. I will make full use of the mountain range for my shake out rides down into Spain etc when the time comes...got to get me a bike first!

Thank you for the link, everything helps.

There is a style to riding? No-one told me that! ha ha. OK, style and goals... I want to cover enough ground on a regular basis to know that I am progressing but I don't want to go too fast so as to miss the great things some countries will have to offer. My goal - to enjoy it.

One thing I would like to explain is that I broke my neck in 2002 after a helicopter crash so a more upright position will serve me better over a long period of time. I am technically crap with bikes, even though I've always had one since a kid, so not sure if there are things like extensions to raise the handlebars??

Best,

Daz.
finnyfinfinbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 01:17 PM   #14
EriktheFish
Silly Party Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NH
Bikes: Rans Stratus XP
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnyfinfinbar View Post
One thing I would like to explain is that I broke my neck in 2002 after a helicopter crash so a more upright position will serve me better over a long period of time.
I think Euro recumbents with a short wheel base are easier to find in your area, but a long wheel base recumbent like a Rans Stratus XP or Easy Racer Tour Easy provides a very upright and comfortable neck position:



Here's a highly regarded bike shop that sells recumbents in Lyon:
http://www.cyclociel.com/

Last edited by EriktheFish; 03-09-10 at 01:26 PM.
EriktheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 02:14 PM   #15
cyclezealot
Senior Member
 
cyclezealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
Posts: 13,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnyfinfinbar View Post
Hi Cyclezealot,

Thanks for the welcome.

It is absolutely beautiful here. I have only been here for around 5 months but feel I know the place well. More often that not I find myself walking up in the mountains. I will make full use of the mountain range for my shake out rides down into Spain etc when the time comes...got to get me a bike first!

Thank you for the link, everything helps.

There is a style to riding? No-one told me that! ha ha. OK, style and goals... I want to cover enough ground on a regular basis to know that I am progressing but I don't want to go too fast so as to miss the great things some countries will have to offer. My goal - to enjoy it.

One thing I would like to explain is that I broke my neck in 2002 after a helicopter crash so a more upright position will serve me better over a long period of time. I am technically crap with bikes, even though I've always had one since a kid, so not sure if there are things like extensions to raise the handlebars??

Best,

Daz.
Finny. By style Guess I meant how much weight will you be carrying.. How many days will you be on the road. And in your case you might want to test ride those bikes which interest you , be they race, hybrid, touring , or recumbent style bikes. .
. Good luck in your search.. Yes. I've completed some bike rides in the Garcon and visited your area via car. You have great riding at your door step..
__________________
Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living






^ Since January 1, 2012
cyclezealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 05:45 PM   #16
D.B. Cooper
friction baby, friction
 
D.B. Cooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyakdiver View Post
You forgot helmet or not
also...

steel or aluminum?

LHT or 520?

waterproof bags or raincovers?

and on and on...
D.B. Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 06:01 PM   #17
nancy sv
family on bikes
 
nancy sv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: on my bike between North and South
Bikes: which one?
Posts: 2,376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome! It won't be long before you're out on the road with the rest of us!
nancy sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 06:23 PM   #18
D.B. Cooper
friction baby, friction
 
D.B. Cooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnyfinfinbar View Post
Hi Pedalphile (and all who have posted),

I guess a lot of it comes down to personal preference so I'm OK with that. Also, a lot has to do with common sense and-the-like. My shopping list is simple...a bike that 'does what it says on the tin' and is capable of lasting many years as I plod around the globe...simple - isn't it...?!

I really do rate anything with an 'ortlieb' badge as I used them for many years in the army.

Tent - Got one though my hammock, roll matt and basha (poncho) will see me well for the most part.

Campsite or Stealth - Stealth & couchsurfing, doing it on a budget.

MTN bike or road bike - Something in between as I will want to venture off the beaten track on occasions.

GPS & map.

700 v. 26 - I know these are wheel sizes but does it matter? I presume people have gone around the world on both types so I'll probably go with whatever is on the bike at the time of purchase. If in doubt I'll ask for recommendations given the task involved.

How do I get started - I'm here, taking a back seat and soaking in the information that is presented before me from those more knowledgable than I.

Helmet - Better safe than sorry but won't always wear it - occasions for donning such an item should be obvious...I'm guessing.

Dogs - Pedal faster...!!

Having listed all the above it may seem that I now have all the answers... wrong... I'm sure my naivety will shine through. I just don't want the whole process to be over complicated. I just want a capable and comfortable bike to carry me and my kit slow-time around the world.

Best,

Daz.
You hit the nail on the head. It all comes down to personal preference. You could tour on one of those old people tricycles, pulling a trailer, using buckets for panniersif you wanted to.(I actually met an old Frenchman Jean-Jaques doing just that.) My jab was directed at all the newbies that show up asking questions that have been covered ad nauseam, without searching a single thread.
D.B. Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 07:01 PM   #19
wahoonc
Senior Member
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Posts: 16,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome Daz...choose what works for you and don't be afraid to change if it doesn't. My first long haul tour was on a basket case Motobecane Nomade that I threw together after someone stole my dream bike (Bob Jackson Super Tourist, custom built), 2 weeks before we were scheduled to leave. I completed the tour and have done several shorter ones since. Best summer of my life, more tours to come.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 03:21 AM   #20
finnyfinfinbar
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Foix, South of France
Bikes: Specialized hardrock but want a tourer.
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks to all for the replies,

Cyclezealot - Thank you for clearing up the 'style' question. I will be carrying the minimum required to be healthy, clean and somewhat comfortable. Electronics will be at a minimum. I plan to complete a circuit of the globe; not in any particular order/direction as yet; not at any particular speed. If I'm tired I'll stop. If I'm still tired and aching the next day, I won't ride - I don't see the point in doing something that isn't pleasant, it's counter productive. If there are things that I want to see in a hurry, I'll hitchhike with my bike. I have no set rules, I'd only break them if I did so I'm trying to be realistic about it all.

Nancy sv - I'll take a look at your site later. If you are still traveling then 'bon courage', I will be there soon!

Pedalphile - I have now been promoted to 'junior member' and no longer a 'newbie'. Does this mean I can now ask those ad nauseam questions?! ha ha. As for Jean-Jaques - I take my hat off to him ('chapeau' as we say here) - that's what it's all about. Waterproof or covers... Waterproof everytime. It's nice to have all the external pockets giving quicker access to items but then I thought to myself, if I have to start calculating the seconds or minutes lost by opening up my ortlieb's, then already I am in the wrong mindset for the journey!

Wahoonc - Like your second quote though technological advances in the past 100 years have been more advanced than the previous 5000 I'm guessing. Still, a good argument and again, it'll come down to price and preference as I'm sure they will both be very capable machines (I really hope I don't stir up a hornets nest here and invite the purists to slate me!!!!!!). I've seen a lot written on here about Surely LHT, I'm guessing they are an American make? I Haven't read a single complaint yet but not sure if people are using them to cover the US only or further afield - the world?

Erikthefish - Never tried one of them bikes. Are they strong enough to carry a fully loaded traveller? I'm no engineer but surely the elongation of something = weakness?? Will research it nonetheless, thanks.

Thanks again to all, really enjoying this forum.

Daz.
finnyfinfinbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 04:55 AM   #21
cyclezealot
Senior Member
 
cyclezealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
Posts: 13,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnyfinfinbar View Post
Thanks to all for the replies,

Cyclezealot - Thank you for clearing up the 'style' question. I will be carrying the minimum required to be healthy, clean and somewhat comfortable. Electronics will be at a minimum. I plan to complete a circuit of the globe; not in any particular order/direction as yet; not at any particular speed. If I'm tired I'll stop. If I'm still tired and aching the next day, I won't ride - I don't see the point in doing something that isn't pleasant, it's counter productive. If there are things that I want to see in a hurry, I'll hitchhike with my bike. I have no set rules, I'd only break them if I did so I'm trying to be realistic about it all.

Nancy sv - I'll take a look at your site later. If you are still traveling then 'bon courage', I will be there soon!
. Circling the globe is an ambitious goal, I'd like to claim.. On the trail, I've encountered cyclists who share your goal.. It took them years to plan for such..I recall she said, they were planning on taking a GPS and solar cell operated laptop. Crossing Asia is for the sturdy. I recall them saying, mapping through the "Stans', and east of China to be difficult because it's a wasteland. What ever , you'll need sturdy gear and remember crossing the Gobi desert is not a piece of cake.. You are determined, you'll do it..
Think If I were you, i'd look into a more relaxed touring bike, get a professional fit.In my case a round the world trip would merit top notch gear.
Should you find a touring bike comfortable, couple things I'd remember..
1. Your routing about the globe. You just might need an all terrain bike, cause those roads can get pretty primitive. 2. You'll need something with a solid reputation , reliable components, sturdy welds. Think brands I'd consider would be Bruce Gordon, Co-Motion , or Litespeed. One can't go around the world on the cheap.
__________________
Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living






^ Since January 1, 2012

Last edited by cyclezealot; 03-10-10 at 05:06 AM.
cyclezealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 05:10 AM   #22
finnyfinfinbar
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Foix, South of France
Bikes: Specialized hardrock but want a tourer.
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclezealot View Post
. Circling the globe is an ambitious goal, I'd like to claim.. On the trail, I've encountered cyclists who share your goal.. It took them years to plan for such..I recall she said, they were planning on taking a GPS and solar cell operated laptop. Crossing Asia is for the sturdy. I recall them saying, mapping through the "Stans', and east of China to be difficult because it's a wasteland. What ever , you'll need sturdy gear and remember crossing the Gobi desert is not a piece of cake.. You are determined, you'll do it..
Think If I were you, i'd look into a more relaxed touring bike, get a professional fit.In my case a round the world trip would merit
Should you find a touring bike comfortable, couple things I'd remember..
1. Your routing about the globe. You just might need an all terrain bike, cause those roads can get pretty primitive. 2. You'll need something with a solid reputation , reliable components, sturdy welds. Think brands I'd consider would be Bruce Gordon, Co-Motion , or Litespeed. One can't go around the world on the cheap.
Thanks for the advice, I have a lot to plan for but nothing is impossible with the right attitude. You have mentioned some manufacturers I'm not familiar with so I shall look further into that. My going around the world on the cheap was in relation to my daily budget/purchase of unnecessary items (restaurant dinners, campsites, hostels etc etc). I am a firm believer in having the right equipment for the right task and will not cut corners on initial outlay.

Thank you for the continued advice.

Daz.
finnyfinfinbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 05:18 AM   #23
cyclezealot
Senior Member
 
cyclezealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
Posts: 13,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Finny.. An idea since you live in France.. the Federation Francaise de Cyclisme often advertises group trips about France and the globe.. Last year they sponsored a trip from Paris to Peking.. Maybe one might want to tag along, should they as a group or members of the group be heading your way... Their link...
.
http://www.ffc.fr/

ps.. I love heading out on the road for a couple days of riding.. Ever want to do a sample tour of Provence or Burgundy give us a private message. A couple days on the road is good preparation for more ambitious stuff.
__________________
Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living






^ Since January 1, 2012
cyclezealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 07:57 AM   #24
LeeG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 4,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Finny, I heartily recommend pneumatic tires!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Stevens_(cyclist)
LeeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 08:00 PM   #25
wahoonc
Senior Member
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Posts: 16,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
finny,

The Surly LHT is sold by QBP (Quality Bike Parts) which is a US based wholesaler, however the actual bike, I believe is made in Taiwan. There are a lot of great touring bikes out there, some are even vintage; Rene Herse, Singer, Dawes and Bob Jackson are a few that come to mind. I am sure there are many, many more. Forty plus years ago most of the great touring bikes came from Europe, now they come from everywhere.

I currently tour on a Giant Excursion and a Giant Iguana. The first is a "trekking/city" bike in the European tradition, the second is a converted mountain bike for the rougher stuff. I even tour on old Raleighs my 1972 Superbe and 1971 Raleigh Twenty have both been on tours, not world tours, but tours none the less.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 03-11-10 at 04:56 AM. Reason: speeling
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:32 PM.