I'm an adventurous soul and this summer I plan to take a nice tour around Europe, starting from Copenhagen and riding south through Germany. I plan to see Amsterdam and from there work my way down south through france. Or maybe through Germany. Havn't decided yet.
Heres some questions:
(I'm not fit at all, though I reckon that if I start bicycling now before summer, I'll get more in shape)
1) Theres around 600km from Copenhagen to Amsterdam. If I traveled in a medium-speed tempo with breaks every 4 hours to eat, how long would you reckon it would take me to reach Amsterdam? Ought to note that Netherland and Denmark (and probably northern Germany too) is flat.
2) I have no equipment nor a bike, how much would it cost me to get all the equipment needed? (backpack, panniers, water bottle, racks, lock, compass, map, side-money, rain coat, touring-clothes, shoes, helmet)
3) What would be more luxerious and more beautiful to see, southern Germany or southern France?
4) When In France or Germany, do they speak English properly? I know that the new generation in Germany all speak English fairly well, but in France its different. Not many speak English. Correct?
5) Should I try and get to Italy to see the beautiful landscape or would it be better if I stayed in central-europe (Southern Germany, France, Switz) - Italy may have fewer bicycle-friendly routes
6) Can you camp anywhere in Europe? For example if its getting dark, would it be fine that I just set up my tent in some field or woods, or would it be risky in terms of law enforcement or robbery? Would it be tolerated that I started a little campfire to grill some meat or some canned beans?
7) As a first time traveler, inexperienced, should I pack lightly with just 1 bag and a couple of other stuff, or get extra bags too to hang on the side of the bicycle but not neccesarily fill up?
8) Should I use a map or just follow sign/directions? Is there a map of bicycle routes in Europe?
9) A bike costs a lot. I reckon atleast 300$. Any way I can get something cheaper but still comfortable to ride on (seat is important)? Perhaps recommend a cheap bicycle producer?
10) Should I bring any electronics with me, or would it be too much of a hassle? (phone, portable gaming device, radio)