Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-21-10, 11:46 AM   #1
jteighty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Will the topeak rx rack take any panniers?

Hi,

As the title says, will the Topeak RX with side pannels take any pannier bags? I'm thinking of the altura Arran 32 pair: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...niers-ec008436

If I load it with a bit more then 7kg will it break?

Thanks

jt80
jteighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 12:01 PM   #2
NoGaBiker
But wait... I AM the man.
 
NoGaBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: No Ga.
Bikes: Merlin Extralight DA, 1982 Peugeot CFX-10 Campy NR, 7 Cruisers kept at beach, Raleigh Passage 4.0 hybrid, Marin Commuter with racks and bags
Posts: 641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Haven't used the RX, but I attached an MTX to the ALLOY seatpost of a rental Lynskey ti race bike last September. I hung the DX-P trunkbag and Panniers off of it, with a total weight of 18 pounds (rack, side panels trunkbag and load). Had no problems other than it affecting handling. You could definitely feel the load back there trying to make you wheelie. Not saying it was actually close to doing so but you could feel a force trying to lift the front wheel. We rode350 miles around Provence with no problems.
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 12:08 PM   #3
jteighty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the response. Do you recall if there would have been a possibilty of hanging pannier bags straight on?
jteighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 01:04 PM   #4
NoGaBiker
But wait... I AM the man.
 
NoGaBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: No Ga.
Bikes: Merlin Extralight DA, 1982 Peugeot CFX-10 Campy NR, 7 Cruisers kept at beach, Raleigh Passage 4.0 hybrid, Marin Commuter with racks and bags
Posts: 641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteighty View Post
Thanks for the response. Do you recall if there would have been a possibilty of hanging pannier bags straight on?
I don't see why not, given that it has fairly standard rails. I'm not at home so can't check with my Ortliebs right now, but I'd be happy to tonight. I do believe the MTX rack is heavier duty than the RX, though, so my answer won't necessarily be of any help.

Cheers
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 01:13 PM   #5
jteighty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker View Post
I don't see why not, given that it has fairly standard rails. I'm not at home so can't check with my Ortliebs right now, but I'd be happy to tonight. I do believe the MTX rack is heavier duty than the RX, though, so my answer won't necessarily be of any help.

Cheers
Ok great. Thanks a lot.
jteighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 02:18 PM   #6
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget
 
Bacciagalupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FWIW, I'd probably skip on panniers with the RX's.

1) They are really designed for their own bags with the side bags (e.g. the RX Trunkbag EX)
2) Weight capacity is pretty low, 15-20 lbs depending on the model.
3) You can't use both a pannier and the Topeak bags that slide into the rack (the RX types)

If you're going to use panniers, you might as well use a real rack. If your bike doesn't have eyelets, you can always use P-clamps or, worst case scenario, use a rack that clamps onto the brake bosses.
Bacciagalupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 02:41 PM   #7
jteighty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe View Post
FWIW, I'd probably skip on panniers with the RX's.

1) They are really designed for their own bags with the side bags (e.g. the RX Trunkbag EX)
2) Weight capacity is pretty low, 15-20 lbs depending on the model.
3) You can't use both a pannier and the Topeak bags that slide into the rack (the RX types)

If you're going to use panniers, you might as well use a real rack. If your bike doesn't have eyelets, you can always use P-clamps or, worst case scenario, use a rack that clamps onto the brake bosses.
I've always been under the impression that p clips aren't the safest. Aren't they damaging to the frame? If I use p clips can I use any rack (like tortec ultralite)? What about the upper connection to the frame? (I have no holes at all-got a racing bike).

I was looking at the streamliner by axiom but the problem
was that'll cause difficulty to fix a flat..

Thanks

JT80
jteighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:00 AM.