Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 115 of 136 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 3387
  1. #2851
    Senior Member BRAZUCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    My Bikes
    1983 Trek 600 / 1984 Schwinn Peloton
    Posts
    243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you fantasminha for the reply and the tip, I will look for both pumps the Topeak and the Park Tool.
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    "Steel is Real"

  2. #2852
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    0 load for now, but maybe one day on my "new" build using a 2009 Surly Travelers Check frame


  3. #2853
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same Park Tool pump on my Soma Saga. I don't like it at all, but it works. I much prefer the old Zefal HP that I keep on the Fuji Del Rey.

  4. #2854
    Senior Member BRAZUCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    My Bikes
    1983 Trek 600 / 1984 Schwinn Peloton
    Posts
    243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What a beautiful bike! This is how I want my LHT to look next year, but with black Brooks acessories. Very nice indeed, congrats!

    Quote Originally Posted by pangpang77 View Post
    0 load for now, but maybe one day on my "new" build using a 2009 Surly Travelers Check frame

    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    "Steel is Real"

  5. #2855
    Senior Member mdilthey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What tires are those on that Surly?
    Writing, Working, Photographing, and Living from the saddle. MaxTheCyclist.wordpress.com

  6. #2856
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From This (2012 Salsa Fargo w/ Bob Trailer):


    To This (2012 BH RX1 w/ homemade Bags):


    and This (1990 Novara XR w/ Panniers & Homemade Bags:

    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #2857
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdilthey View Post
    What tires are those on that Surly?
    The tires are Chellenge Grifo XS 33s

  8. #2858
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAZUCA View Post
    What a beautiful bike! This is how I want my LHT to look next year, but with black Brooks acessories. Very nice indeed, congrats!
    Thanks!

  9. #2859
    Member PeaceP@'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Utah
    My Bikes
    2001 Specialized Tri-cross Sport
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living in a tent for months at a time, bicycle touring with my dog and better half Melissa, while maintaining a professional work life as a web developer takes commitment, passion, and a care free attitude. I have cycled over 7,000 miles between my two bike tours now and don't have plans to stop anytime soon. Read the latest post about the trials and triumphs living as a tech-minimalist. http://wp.me/p2KBNN-jd
    Last edited by PeaceP@; 12-06-12 at 11:21 PM.

  10. #2860
    Senior Member robow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,854
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year in Arkansas.

    011zz.jpg
    Last edited by robow; 12-18-12 at 10:41 PM.

  11. #2861
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    My Bikes
    1984 Trek 620 (custom touring), 2011 Trek Madone 6.9 RED, 2009 Cannondale Caad9 105.
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Tight budget touring

    So, I made some panniers out of kitty-litter buckets, and they actually were AWESOME! They're light, waterproof, durable, and second as stools/chairs when you're camping. I know they look bad, but I loved them.

    After my tour I took off the mounts and recycled the buckets. I think I might make them again for my next tour. Anyway, here was my rig on my tour 2 years ago. I waterproofed the front panniers, not a drop of water inside them. I was pretty satisfied with how much I invested and how well everything worked!


    620loaded by azwethinkweiz47, on Flickr

  12. #2862
    djb
    djb is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Montreal Canada
    Posts
    3,597
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John, the fact that they worked, you got out and did a trip and it was a fun experience just shows how in the end, how you carry stuff really isnt important. If its functional and it works, voila.
    Other than being assured the mounting mechanism is reliable, the only thing I could see being a factor is just making sure they wouldnt jump off hitting a bump and doing any damage to the rear derailleur or anything, with the hard edges.
    cheers

  13. #2863
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    My Bikes
    1984 Trek 620 (custom touring), 2011 Trek Madone 6.9 RED, 2009 Cannondale Caad9 105.
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by djb View Post
    the only thing I could see being a factor is just making sure they wouldnt jump off hitting a bump and doing any damage to the rear derailleur or anything, with the hard edges.
    cheers
    Thank you! Definitely yes. I bought some real rack mounts with rack locks, they're designed for DIYers. I followed someone else's plans for the bucket panniers. They were pretty stable and weren't going anywhere. But I think next tour I will make bags with those mounts and not the buckets. Just because I will be carrying less (learned what I really need and what I don't need) and the buckets would be too big. I will miss the fact that the buckets made a very flat surface across the back though

    cheers!

  14. #2864
    djb
    djb is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Montreal Canada
    Posts
    3,597
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the good thing nowadays is that (around here anyways) there are so many more options for buying panniers. Like all diy projects, some are perfectly fine and as good as anything you can buy. Other things sometimes are a balance of cost vs problems or even like I mentioned, a prob that could result in a cost of a repair. But again, depends on how much you use something and how well made it is (bought or diy) to know how much to spend. As I commute a lot, its worth it to me to have a no brainer system that I never have to think about, and over all the years owning stuff, it ends up being cheap in the long run.
    Have fun making the new set.

  15. #2865
    Senior Member Medic Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting
    Posts
    1,799
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnz47 View Post
    So, I made some panniers out of kitty-litter buckets, and they actually were AWESOME! They're light, waterproof, durable, and second as stools/chairs when you're camping. I know they look bad, but I loved them.

    After my tour I took off the mounts and recycled the buckets. I think I might make them again for my next tour. Anyway, here was my rig on my tour 2 years ago. I waterproofed the front panniers, not a drop of water inside them. I was pretty satisfied with how much I invested and how well everything worked!


    620loaded by azwethinkweiz47, on Flickr
    Those don't look bad at all for bucket panniers! You removed the original labels and put some nice high visibility stuff on there in a tasteful way. Good job!

    I haven't completed my set yet (I have the buckets and hardware), but borrowed a friends Cobbworks buckets for a 3 day, 145 (hilly) mile short tour last year and they worked quite well. In addition to appreciating using them as a stool and a table while camping, the lid makes a nice cutting board as well.
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

  16. #2866
    Senior Member Medic Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting
    Posts
    1,799
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnz47 View Post
    Thank you! Definitely yes. I bought some real rack mounts with rack locks, they're designed for DIYers. I followed someone else's plans for the bucket panniers. They were pretty stable and weren't going anywhere. But I think next tour I will make bags with those mounts and not the buckets. Just because I will be carrying less (learned what I really need and what I don't need) and the buckets would be too big. I will miss the fact that the buckets made a very flat surface across the back though

    cheers!
    I appreciated that as well. The tops of the set I used last year were level with my rear racks deck, effectively making a nice wide platform for me to stow my tent, sleeping bag, etc across.
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

  17. #2867
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT (weekend ride & touring), GT Outpost (commuting), Brompton M6R (Weekend tours that involve flying), Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo (family weekend ride & touring)
    Posts
    205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now the question is which kitty litter brand makes the best bucket. And does the local animal shelter appreciate buckets worth of unused kitty litter without the buckets. LOL Luckily I don't have to find the answers to those as right now I'm happy with my traditional panniers.
    One man's adventure is somebody else's boring life. These are my adventures: http://adventurelaus.blogspot.com/

  18. #2868
    weirdo
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    1,956
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbike View Post
    Now the question is which kitty litter brand makes the best bucket. And does the local animal shelter appreciate buckets worth of unused kitty litter without the buckets. LOL Luckily I don't have to find the answers to those as right now I'm happy with my traditional panniers.
    I haven`t had that problem with kitty litter, but I HAVE bought other products just for the packaging, and then been at a loss as to what the heck to do with the unwanted product! The whole issue reminds me of those Christmas mornings when a baby is delighted by a cardboard box but has absolutely no interest in whatever Fisher Price goodie came inside it.

  19. #2869
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    My Bikes
    1984 Trek 620 (custom touring), 2011 Trek Madone 6.9 RED, 2009 Cannondale Caad9 105.
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic Zero View Post
    I appreciated that as well. The tops of the set I used last year were level with my rear racks deck, effectively making a nice wide platform for me to stow my tent, sleeping bag, etc across.
    Exactly! I'm glad they worked out for you too, Medic Zero. The buckets were great but I don't believe they would last as long as a bag, although mine showed NO signs of this, I think the steel bolts that attached the mounts to the plastic sides would eventually start to tear the sides from a load. I used many washers to avoid this potential wear but it's inevitable.

    Yes, cutting table for sure! Infinite ways to use the buckets! I was actually going to use them to hoist food into the air with a rope because I was stranded in a non-camping area in "cougar country." Long story, but I ended up getting "rescued" lol

  20. #2870
    Grateful Tread brawny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Exeter, Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Cardiac (hardtail MB/commuter), Aquila Pave (aluminum tourer)
    Posts
    119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DIY panniers are a great idea, and there are lots of examples of folks making them out there. A bit O/T, but here's a pic of my winter commuter with a pair of buckets mounted.

    Hardware is available at places like REI in the States and MEC in Canada. Handy for keeping stuff dry to and from work. The buckets are available at most large grocery stores - the ones with a bakery/deli, as the muffin mix and bread dough stuff comes in them, so its food grade plastic. Most places give 'em away.

    I've attached a bungee cord to the handle on one bucket, and pull it over the top of my laptop bag (which sits on top of the buckets, and then into the handle on the other side. Works well to keep stuff on top locked in place.

    One downside to rigid panniers however is wind. These things act like a sail in moderate winds, and can really slow you down when you're riding into it.

    Cheers!

    Winter Bike.jpg
    TV Sucks. Ride Your Bike!

  21. #2871
    Senior Member Ronno6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Astor,. Florida
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SR's and ST's from the '80's
    Posts
    544
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    THe Touring Fleet

    The first pic is my custom built (for the original owner) 67cm Moseman, loaded for my recent tour of northern Florida
    The second is Babe the Blue Ox, a 27" 1988 Cannondale ST400 with all new components, loaded for a one-nighter.
    I plan on taking Babe on my next extended tour.
    I also have another 27" Cannondale in progress that I have done in pearl white that will sport Alabama Crimson Tide decals
    and red panniers. RTR !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ronno6; 12-15-12 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Additional info

  22. #2872
    Senior Member Thulsadoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Gouverneur NY
    My Bikes
    2003 BIANCHI VIGORELLI, 2000 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE
    Posts
    1,232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronno6 View Post
    The first pic is my custom built (for the original owner) 67cm Moseman, loaded for my recent tour of northern Florida
    The second is Babe the Blue Ox, a 27" 1988 Cannondale ST400 with all new components, loaded for a one-nighter.
    I plan on taking Babe on my next extended tour.
    I also have another 27" Cannondale in progress that I have done in pearl white that will sport Alabama Crimson Tide decals
    and red panniers. RTR !
    Holy friggin tall guy!

    Nice looking rides.

  23. #2873
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    My Bikes
    1984 Trek 620 (custom touring), 2011 Trek Madone 6.9 RED, 2009 Cannondale Caad9 105.
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brawny View Post
    The buckets are available at most large grocery stores - the ones with a bakery/deli, as the muffin mix and bread dough stuff comes in them, so its food grade plastic. Most places give 'em away.
    Nice set up you've got there. Thanks for the idea about where to get higher quality ones, for free! And yes I think you're correct about the wind. At least they are a stable draft though, heading down mountains in OR going 40mph, I experienced relatively equal draft on the bike's sides, meaning, not one side was being drafted more than the other causing the bike to turn or lean.

  24. #2874
    Member keatonandrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Everywhere?
    My Bikes
    Surly Disc Trucker
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's mine. Probably going to make a few changes to a few things when I head back out in January... I have far too much weight right now.

    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.mustacheonwheels.com

  25. #2875
    nun
    nun is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
    Posts
    2,386
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my latest setup on 3 day tour in NH and ME. My tent is now inside the saddlebag allowing me to get rid of the Bagman rack





    Last edited by nun; 12-17-12 at 06:41 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •