Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 116 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 3425
  1. #2876
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Dayton, Oh
    My Bikes
    Salsa Vaya, Specialized Roubaix Team Saxo, Fisher HiFi29er
    Posts
    513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are blasting one of the tunnels along the Great Allegheny Passage. This was an interesting sign to roll up on with no one around to ask questions. We decided to keep going, but pedal a little faster!



    My Vaya gallery...what can I say? I like to take pics of my bike....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3428269...7632270014843/

  2. #2877
    Member PeaceP@'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Utah
    My Bikes
    2001 Specialized Tri-cross Sport
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    blog-header-6.2.jpg

    New post about one mans journey from Canada to Mexico. We met Stan and compiled his writings into one post. ENJOY!: http://worldsbetweenlines.com/stan

  3. #2878
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,043
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but I didn't see a thread for bikes that mostly tour un-loaded so here be mine and my wife's Cross-Checks, set up for supported touring, this time in Honduras and Guatemala:



    Some coverage on the trip can be found on our blog if you're interested. Link in my sig.
    Bikin' far-off places with the wife: http://peacocksride.wordpress.com

  4. #2879
    Newbie panamint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    Rivendell, Raliegh, Brompton, Bike Friday
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMAGE05.jpgIMAGE29.jpg
    Both shots from a tour of the coast of California in 2002.

  5. #2880
    Newbie ltrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Riviera GT (sweet 70's steel frame touring bike), Long Haul cargo bike
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From an Oregon/Northern California tour this past summer. 840 miles from Eugene to Myers Flat and back.
    Somewhere in the Rogue valley:
    545406_563267605138_395932291_n.jpg
    And the camping setup was pretty nifty:
    481943_563267670008_997285459_n.jpg

  6. #2881
    Ryl
    Ryl is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    My Bikes
    2007 Giant Rincon, 1980's Miyata
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just before my first tour back in June!
    487750_10151089073682238_406931827_n.jpg

  7. #2882
    Senior Member steve-in-kville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    '10 Windsor Tourist; '14 Kilo TT Stripper; 80's Bianchi SS/FG
    Posts
    622
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pretzelkins View Post
    Whoa! Tansy! That is quite the load. Where was that taken? Looks like Nevada. Are you a field hydrologist or making a film or something?

    I tend not to go for more than week-long tours (work) and mostly do S24Os and weekends. Here's my bike fully loaded, all I really need for a week long trip.




    What basket is that? That would work well with my daily commuter!
    Best regards - steve
    ****************

  8. #2883
    Junior Member joetheun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Tucson, Az
    My Bikes
    Custom 12k carbon frame w/ Campy Record/Chorus components, Modified Cannondale touring bike, old CyclePro Oswego Commuter, Iron Horse Maverick Mtn bike. Building new touring bike from a Miele Toscana frame
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    La Via Larga (The long way)

    Trial ride up to top of Reddington Pass Northeast of Tucson. The bike did well I was beat. A couple thousand feet on dirt road. Bike is old Cannondale touring frame modified with disc brakes.

    IMAG0927.jpg

  9. #2884
    Senior Member Medic Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting
    Posts
    1,857
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-in-kville View Post
    What basket is that? That would work well with my daily commuter!
    I'm quite curious about the small panniers at the rear as well. Berthoud? I've been looking for something that size, and hopefully classy.
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

  10. #2885
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSergeant View Post
    From This (2012 Salsa Fargo w/ Bob Trailer):

    To This (2012 BH RX1 w/ homemade Bags):
    Love seeing the road crossover bikepacking setups because I know how much fun it is to tour on them. 120 miles a day is suddenly easy. The sense of freedom is unparralleled. It really is the closest thing to the UL backpacking inspired adage... "like going out for a sunday stroll but you can just keep going for days or weeks" except we don't stroll, we ride.

    Whole states in a day... and yet, it's not about the speed at all, it is most definitely about the freedom and lightness of being. The saying comes to mind, free like the wind.

    I road toured over the last couple years on a sub-30lb aluminum and carbon bikepacking style setup, a blue Salsa Campeon. I also backroad / offroad tour on a salsa fargo, upgraded to titanium. Sadly cracked the road bike in a small non-touring-related accident, but on the bright side am replacing it with a dream touring bike, a carbon fiber cyclocross. I even have carbon wheels for it though those iI'll most likely be touring on a ultegra/mavic open pro wheelset. The cross bike should let me ride like the wind not only on paved roads but with a 34mm tire I should be able to ride any backrad in america, and i should still weigh in at under 30lbs, and yes that includes bike and gear.

    Highly encourage everyone to join flickr and post photos on the many photo groups, most relevant is this one: http://www.flickr.com/groups/ultralightbiking/

    I've posted a lot of pics to it: http://www.flickr.com/groups/ultrali.../84375973@N00/

    Other relevant groups

    http://www.flickr.com/groups/fargo_a...ation_society/
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/stealthcamping/
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/touringgear/
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/rough-riders/

    Disclaimer, I started all those. Other favorites include a couple of backroad biking groups, and there are slew of touring related groups.

    -Mike

  11. #2886
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but I didn't see a thread for bikes that mostly tour un-loaded so here be mine and my wife's Cross-Checks, set up for supported touring, this time in Honduras and Guatemala:



    Some coverage on the trip can be found on our blog if you're interested. Link in my sig.
    I have a cross-check I tour on. Was the bike that got me into touring. Have 30-40k miles on it. Love the short wheel base which climbs and handles quickly. Still love it though I don't ride it as much. The places we have been. It is in my mind one of the best values in touring, though most would prefered the longer wheel based LHT for loaded touring, I like you tour lightly. I don't CCard tour, am just an extreme minimalist and student of the bikepacking / ultralight backpacking thing.

    My applause on rocking out without all the gear. It's a great way to travel no matter weather you're a loaded tourer or ccard. it's awesome. I have to think though that you're probably missing out on being idenitified / seen as a loaded tourer. I can't tell you the number of times people have sought me out. A loaded touring bike is the ultiate ice breaker. It just attracts people. Hard to explain how it opens doors and opportunities. It's got to be a lot like traveling before there were cars and hotels. People are so inviting and so genuinly interested in sharing their stories and lives as well as interested in yours. A very life affirming thing. I'm sure you get it some, but i'm also sure that 90% of people probably mistake you for people just out for a daily ride and just look right past you.

    Anyway, one last thing. The way you list out your wife's bikes I'm thinking you're more proud of your wifes rides than you are of your own. "my wife is a total bike geek too", lol. I know I would be if I found a signficant other that into biking. Cheers!

    One last thing, you should check out some of the flickr photo sharing groups I listed in the last post. Especially the Ultralight bike touring and bikepacking one.

  12. #2887
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,043
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I'm a big fan of the Cross-Checks, this is my second one. I doubt I'll be without one again. Only thing lacking in my opinion is disc brake mounts, and I'll probably just have those added eventually. The LHT, while a great bike, has just always felt like a tank to me, and overkill unless you're really loading it down. My CC spends most of it's time as my cyclocross race bike, and my wife's lives as a road and commuter bikey. I love the versatility of these things.

    Although I gotta come clean - we're not ultralight, nor even CC tourists when we go to foreign countries. We go with Tour d'Afrique for those trips! I can't say enough good things about these guys - they offer just the right level of support and adventure to allow us to focus on the riding, culture, and landscapes of the places we're riding without having to haul all our kit around or worry about where we're going to rest our heads at night or where we're going. I highly recommend them if you like riding and seeing very foreign countries but aren't quite sure about putting the two together entirely on your own. On the bike is truly the best way I've experienced a foreign country. My wife had been to India before, but the vastly preferred our trip with Td'A in 2010 vs. a few years previous with backpacks.

    As far as getting noticed, that seems to depend on the people more than the bikes. Rural central americans seemed to be pretty interested, but aside from the kids (who would run from their shacks screaming "gringa, gringa, gringa!") they weren't too forward. City folk don't really don't notice you. Indians on the other hand - wow! Everywhere you go you'll attract a crowd of at least 20 people, most of which want to know your name, your country, where you're going and what the little levers and switches on your bike does and if you know their cousin in Toronto if they know where that is. Something to get used to for sure, but pretty awesome as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by mmeiser View Post
    I have a cross-check I tour on. Was the bike that got me into touring. Have 30-40k miles on it. Love the short wheel base which climbs and handles quickly. Still love it though I don't ride it as much. The places we have been. It is in my mind one of the best values in touring, though most would prefered the longer wheel based LHT for loaded touring, I like you tour lightly. I don't CCard tour, am just an extreme minimalist and student of the bikepacking / ultralight backpacking thing.

    My applause on rocking out without all the gear. It's a great way to travel no matter weather you're a loaded tourer or ccard. it's awesome. I have to think though that you're probably missing out on being idenitified / seen as a loaded tourer. I can't tell you the number of times people have sought me out. A loaded touring bike is the ultiate ice breaker. It just attracts people. Hard to explain how it opens doors and opportunities. It's got to be a lot like traveling before there were cars and hotels. People are so inviting and so genuinly interested in sharing their stories and lives as well as interested in yours. A very life affirming thing. I'm sure you get it some, but i'm also sure that 90% of people probably mistake you for people just out for a daily ride and just look right past you.

    Anyway, one last thing. The way you list out your wife's bikes I'm thinking you're more proud of your wifes rides than you are of your own. "my wife is a total bike geek too", lol. I know I would be if I found a signficant other that into biking. Cheers!

    One last thing, you should check out some of the flickr photo sharing groups I listed in the last post. Especially the Ultralight bike touring and bikepacking one.
    Bikin' far-off places with the wife: http://peacocksride.wordpress.com

  13. #2888
    fks
    fks is offline
    Shoot Your Car fks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land Down Under
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a recent tour in Southern NSW in Australia.

    Tarago Windmills.jpg

  14. #2889
    Newbie Vagabundo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Me and my Masi

    This was taken near Petoskey, Michigan on a trip I took last summer.
    Petoskey, MI.jpg

  15. #2890
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my Vancouver to Mexico trip..

    Dave - English Bay full size.jpg

  16. #2891
    Newbie Vagabundo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What time of year did you go, Dave? Did you take the Pacific Coast? I've been thinking about taking that ride, but am worried that it might be too crowded.

  17. #2892
    Junior Member primedirective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI USA
    My Bikes
    2006 Bianchi Castro Valley, greatly modified!
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Missing my bike!

    I am in Sweden for the year doing research and I really miss my bike and touring ... so I am going to make you all look at it too! Post more pictures of your touring bikes! It helps me! This photo is from 17 July 2012 - I was hiding out from a thunderstorm under a bridge while in Green Bay. Cheers all!

    IMG_0699.jpg

  18. #2893
    djb
    djb is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Montreal Canada
    Posts
    3,663
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PD, if there for a year, have you considered purchasing a used bike and basic stuff to at least allow for some day or weekend trips? Important for the soul, as you know.

  19. #2894
    Junior Member nascarjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    Diomondback MTB 29er with Hybrid tires for commutting and touring
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weekend setup.jpg
    The is my daily commuter (20 miles) and my weekend tour setup.(2 day 100 milers in Texas)

  20. #2895
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by primedirective View Post
    I am in Sweden for the year doing research and I really miss my bike and touring ... so I am going to make you all look at it too! Post more pictures of your touring bikes! It helps me! This photo is from 17 July 2012 - I was hiding out from a thunderstorm under a bridge while in Green Bay. Cheers all!

    IMG_0699.jpg
    is that a dynamo hub that I spy? Is it for lighting only, or does it have other duties? Which hub,, what rim, built by whom, your overall thoughts, etc? Inquiring minds want to know.

  21. #2896
    Junior Member primedirective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI USA
    My Bikes
    2006 Bianchi Castro Valley, greatly modified!
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Puntyboy, I don't have my book with me here, so I don't know the exact model, but it is a Shimano dynamo hub. I only use it for the light at this point, but I have thought about trying to charge other things, but a charging set-up is a bit more than I want to spend and I don't have quite the know-how to make my own. (I just use a cheap solar charger for my dumb phone at this point). That and the added weight.

    The rim was built by my LBM (Revolution Cycles in Madison WI if you want to know) but I don't remember and I don't have my book with me - so I don't know the make. Sorry! I like the whole set up. I suppose it adds a bit of weight. But I don't really notice any resistance. On tour, I don't ride after dark, but it is nice to have on foggy mornings or if I ever had to ride late. When I am just riding at home, it is awesome too - the lamp (came with the hub and bike) is great - lights up the road well! And I feel like I stay visible. I worried for a while because it turns off when I stop, but I tend to have some much reflective gear on anyway. I think I would like to get a light that had a battery in it so it would stay lit when I stopped at intersections - I'd feel safer. Best of luck!

    Djb: I would love to! I have a very cheap bike I bought (200 kronor - about 30 bucks?) but I don't have the money to get what else I need and it is really cold and I don't have my cold weather sleeping bag here. And everything is really expensive in Sweden. I am a graduate student on a fellowship - enough to eat and have place to stay. I will be back in the states and with my prime directive (my bike!) in a few months. Keep the rubber side down!

  22. #2897
    djb
    djb is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Montreal Canada
    Posts
    3,663
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by primedirective View Post

    Djb: I would love to! I have a very cheap bike I bought (200 kronor - about 30 bucks?) but I don't have the money to get what else I need and it is really cold and I don't have my cold weather sleeping bag here. And everything is really expensive in Sweden. I am a graduate student on a fellowship - enough to eat and have place to stay. I will be back in the states and with my prime directive (my bike!) in a few months. Keep the rubber side down!
    right, I see. I thought you were going to be there all summer and such, so wondered why you didnt take it with you or want to do more while there. But yes, being in Canada with similar weather, now is not the best time to be riding, not until April or so...
    you too as per safe riding.

  23. #2898
    Les
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Cairns Australia
    My Bikes
    MTB, soon 2X tandems
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my little Surly Disk LHT. All set and ready to go.
    We, as a family of 4, are looking at a massive trip starting in 2014.
    Doing a blog at Here (www.8pedals.com) or on facebook Here (www.facebook.com/8pedals).

    lht.jpgSurly_loaded.jpg

  24. #2899
    Junior Member jaspurlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    This is my 1973 Schwinn Le Tour. Added a cheap sealed bearing bottom bracket, triple cranks,and squeezed a 6 speed freewheel on the back with a $15 Shimano Tourney derailleur. Used this for my Oregon to Missouri tour, 2009. 53 days, approx 2700 miles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  25. #2900
    Bike rider alexaschwanden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Palo Alto
    My Bikes
    2013 Felt 960, 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
    Posts
    2,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ how did you get the bed roll to stay like that? It looks like a rear facing cannon.
    2013 Felt 960 29er MTB. 1,336.2 miles
    2013 Raleigh Revenio 2.0. 931.3 miles

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •