Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Touring (http://www.bikeforums.net/touring/)
-   -   Pictures of your loaded rigs? (http://www.bikeforums.net/touring/69234-pictures-your-loaded-rigs.html)

georgiaboy 05-14-05 01:40 PM

Your Atlantis is really nice. Touring on that bike must be pure enjoyment. I am hoping to start building one this fall and be completed by Feb or Mar of 2006.

48x16 05-16-05 10:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Doing my first tour in a few weeks. 7 days from Detroit to Mackinaw City, Michigan. About 450 miles. I am splitting the gear up with my riding partner. My panniers are about 3200 cu in. They're the REI brand Keystone model. The bike is a 1980's Miyata two-ten touring. I got it for $25 off my parents neighbor. It has a Suntour drivetrain, diacomp brakes, and sakai bars/cranks/whatnot.

Mel Wade 05-30-05 08:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's our new LHTs at the beginning our first semi-loaded training ride.

geeklpc1985 05-30-05 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michel Gagnon
Geek, What is it that you have installed on top of your trailer?

Thanks.


I have the cargo rack (Link) then that brown thing is a suit cage that I use for the suit.


GEEK

Biker Bob 05-31-05 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my Fuji Touring on its first real test. Shortly after I snapped this pic, I hit 14 km of sandy dirt road. Both the bike and I survived! I have just replaced the Serratus panniers with a nice set of Arkels.

Belugadave 06-04-05 09:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is my Giant OCR Touring bike last month in New Mexico on it's first loaded ride. Only 4 days and 300 miles with some camping, but it was a good test ride for it. I bought it on ebay earlier this year and I was a little sceptical about the disc brakes, but they worked great for me, very solid on the downhills and no mechanical issues.

bentbaggerlen 06-06-05 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Photo of our new touring rig at camp.... this bike has a longer wheel base then my car!

raoul.spam 06-09-05 04:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hello
my TREK 8000
first bike e ever did buy myself
with Ortlieb bags and
a WEBER GO-ANYWHERE on it
monted on a TUBUS rack

superb grill. very practical

couple weeks ago in the geneva/switzerland aera

Spudmeister 06-12-05 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had the camera out, so I thought I'd snap a picture of my Surly LHT. I've had it about 2 months, commuting to work. Hopefully, I'll work in a trip at the end of the summer. Check out the new Schwalbe tires, just mounted today.

Primevci 06-14-05 02:49 PM

Here is a picture of mine im slowly adding onto it.. I just went back to work so next will be a set of Pannier for the back..

Gardener 06-16-05 07:36 PM

Nice LHT, Spudmeister, always warms my heart to see another pair of moustache bars too!

georgiaboy 06-17-05 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spudmeister
I had the camera out, so I thought I'd snap a picture of my Surly LHT. I've had it about 2 months, commuting to work. Hopefully, I'll work in a trip at the end of the summer. Check out the new Schwalbe tires, just mounted today.


Great Bike! I am planning a build this fall with the Surly LHT frame. Looking to have it road ready by February in time for spring. I have only heard good things about the LHT. What has your experience been?

plodderslusk 06-19-05 12:45 PM

I have for some time wanted to take up bicycle touring again. Being unable to spend much money on such a project I have been looking for an old MTB-frame to convert. At a fleamarket in my hometown Oslo, Norway I found just what I was seeking this spring. It was a 1987 Kuwahara Tornado, full XT only missing the seatpost. I have changed the chainrings from bio-pace and installed roadbars. The somewhat clumsylooking shifterarrangement works quite well, Norway does not know barcons and I really wanted to keep the six speed thumbies anyway. Old MTB-geometry gives a very stable ride, and total costs with new frontrack and used panniers are around 450 us dollars.
I have never posted pictures to a forum before so not knowing how to do it I post a link to a photobucketalbum. Ride on !
http://photobucket.com/albums/b337/plodderslusk/

Robbykills 06-19-05 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plodderslusk
I have for some time wanted to take up bicycle touring again. Being unable to spend much money on such a project I have been looking for an old MTB-frame to convert. At a fleamarket in my hometown Oslo, Norway I found just what I was seeking this spring. It was a 1987 Kuwahara Tornado, full XT only missing the seatpost. I have changed the chainrings from bio-pace and installed roadbars. The somewhat clumsylooking shifterarrangement works quite well, Norway does not know barcons and I really wanted to keep the six speed thumbies anyway. Old MTB-geometry gives a very stable ride, and total costs with new frontrack and used panniers are around 450 us dollars.
I have never posted pictures to a forum before so not knowing how to do it I post a link to a photobucketalbum. Ride on !
http://photobucket.com/albums/b337/plodderslusk/

hey plodder cool bike. I am considering a similar conversion, only your bike looks like its quality is a lot better but I have a question about your shifter dealie. Is that just a set of barends with the thumb shifters attached to them? Because I really like the set up and think it would work well on my conversion.

womble 06-19-05 11:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my "loaded rig". Loaded only in the sense that I had a trailer- back then I hadn't figured out how to attach a rear rack to a Cannondale, nor had I come across Old Man Mountain front-sus racks. So I got a BOB Yak and just dumped my standard hiking pack into it.

Oh, and yes, this is an excuse to post a photo that I like more than anything else :)

x2mars 06-20-05 08:31 AM

nice bikes

plodderslusk 06-20-05 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbykills
hey plodder cool bike. I am considering a similar conversion, only your bike looks like its quality is a lot better but I have a question about your shifter dealie. Is that just a set of barends with the thumb shifters attached to them? Because I really like the set up and think it would work well on my conversion.

It is a bit more cumbersome, maybe some barends would work, check the diameter. I sawed off stubs of an old offroad bar and secured them on the road bar whith nutted clamps from an old set of road brakehandles. I glued in a piece of wood,drilled a hole in it and used a bolt with a washer to secure the stub. The setup works well.

grolby 06-20-05 10:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 48x16
Doing my first tour in a few weeks. 7 days from Detroit to Mackinaw City, Michigan. About 450 miles. I am splitting the gear up with my riding partner. My panniers are about 3200 cu in. They're the REI brand Keystone model. The bike is a 1980's Miyata two-ten touring. I got it for $25 off my parents neighbor. It has a Suntour drivetrain, diacomp brakes, and sakai bars/cranks/whatnot.

Hey, I have a 210 myself! It's blue... anyway, have you had problems with fitting parts to your bike? I love the way my Miyata rides, but whether it's the racks, fenders or brakes, I find getting anything non-OEM to fit on the bike to require some serious Yankee ingenuity. It's aggravating enough that I'm planning on building a Surly LHT at some point soon to replace it as a tourer. Have you had this problem? I do like the red color!

Anyway, I don't have any pictures of my bike loaded, or even with the front rack mounted, but I do have this:

georgiaboy 06-25-05 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel Wade
Here's our new LHTs at the beginning our first semi-loaded training ride.


Hello, Nice choice of frames. The LHT make for a nice bike. What are the frame sizes for the bikes pictured?

Thanks

bikeguru 06-26-05 11:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I too was considering a LHT last year but hated the colour. I found a Kona steel frame and after some extra braze ons and a suspension adjusted fork I have built up a great touring bike that is so comfy I can ride it all day it also allows me to take any route be it road or track and even cross country. Parts are very carefully chosen to minimise wear and mainenance all cartridge bearings and as fewer spares and tools to cary as possible. Thumb shfters and Shimano drive chain so I have no problems with shifting or wear. Avid cable disks that are long wearing require very little maintenance and dont wear out the rim surface. Last and most important is a full set of hassle free Ortlieb panniers.

cavit8 07-01-05 08:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my converted MTB on our trip to Newfoundland (a highly recommended cycling trip). Added a 52 ring, drops and bar end shifters, extrawide brake hangers to allow the use of road levers and homemade panniers. Weighed far too much, heinously overloaded but got me through with only the occasional flat. There's some more pics of the trip at http://cavit8.clawz.com/newfoundland/html/index_0.html

Spudmeister 07-02-05 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgiaboy
Great Bike! I am planning a build this fall with the Surly LHT frame. Looking to have it road ready by February in time for spring. I have only heard good things about the LHT. What has your experience been?


Smooth, stable ride & chicks dig the color. ;)

Spudmeister 07-02-05 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by af895
Hey! Are those Schwalbes "Big Apples"? Looking at Schwalbe tires myself... thinking about the Marathons (20"x1.50"'s...I have a folding bike)

No, they're Marathons - 26x1.5.

GrodyGeek 07-06-05 08:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The photo was taken in the town of Shingleton, Michigan at the end of the Seney stretch when going east to west in the Upper Penninsula while traveling on M28. We had ridden about 900 miles of our ride around Lake Superior. I have front and back Ortlieb Bike Packer Lite panniers. I also have a Carradice Low Saddle Longflap saddlebag on my Brooks saddle. Under my helmet is a cape wrap which attaches to the saddlebag and keeps your rain gear real handy. I have a Carradice Boxy handlebar bag mounted on a Sidetrax Easy Access. Since the diameter of the EA is much smaller than a handlebar the bag mount would rotate and the map then was hard to see. I bought a cheap ($3) plastic storage box which I would lash to my front Nitto rack as support under my handlebar bag. Into it I put my casual sandals, and the maps not in current use. The big star on the top tube is a handkerchief (bandana) that I use to wrap around my head under my helmet.

The bike is a Rivendell Atlantis with Nitto racks front and back, Honjo fenders (hammered) and a sagging Brooks Flyer. It sagged because I rode too often in wet shorts. I'm trying to retension it back into shape. If you look close you can see my B&M Lumotec lamp which is driven by my Schmit hub.

Can you tell I like ice cream even when its melting down the cone?

bikeaway2003 07-09-05 09:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure if this will work. If it does, I'll add descriptive information later.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:49 PM.