Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-11, 08:47 PM   #1
DCwom
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DCwom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central New Jersey
Bikes: Burley Tandem
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Albany train station - Bike storage/waiting place

I'm trying to figure out a ride on the Erie canal trail and plan to end in Albany. I want start in Utica (leave the car) and bike to Albany where we will leave the bike (a tandem) and take the train back to Utica to retrieve the car. A bike locker (to fit a tandem) would be great, but since there are two of us a nice cafe near the train station would also work as one of use could take the train while the other stayed with the bike.

Anyone familier with Albany have suggestions?
DCwom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 03:28 PM   #2
mulveyr 
Senior Member
 
mulveyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the wilds of NY
Bikes: Box Dog Pelican, Raleigh Sojourn, Specialized Secteur, 1991 Cannondale tandem
Posts: 1,474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCwom View Post
I'm trying to figure out a ride on the Erie canal trail and plan to end in Albany. I want start in Utica (leave the car) and bike to Albany where we will leave the bike (a tandem) and take the train back to Utica to retrieve the car. A bike locker (to fit a tandem) would be great, but since there are two of us a nice cafe near the train station would also work as one of use could take the train while the other stayed with the bike.

Anyone familier with Albany have suggestions?

I'm afraid I can't help you with Albany, but I just have to mention that I broke out into gales of laughter, because my 10yr-old son and I just finished mere minutes ago some trip planning for our bike trip from Utica to Albany ( getting to Utica via Amtrak ) when I saw your message. :-)

We've done the Buffalo to Herkimer segment of the canal in the past year, so this will be our summer to finish up. The canal has been a wonderful ride for us.
__________________
Knows the weight of my bike to the nearest 10 pounds.
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 03:49 PM   #3
VT_Speed_TR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vermont
Bikes:
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son and I are planning to do this segment in June. Our plans are to leave the car in Albany and take the bikes on the train to Utica. Not famiar with either station or services.

Did you camp with your son? We did the GAP last year and had a blast, so the Erie seemed link a logical next trip. I've done Buffalo to Rochester and had a great time.
VT_Speed_TR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 04:27 PM   #4
mulveyr 
Senior Member
 
mulveyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the wilds of NY
Bikes: Box Dog Pelican, Raleigh Sojourn, Specialized Secteur, 1991 Cannondale tandem
Posts: 1,474
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT_Speed_TR View Post
My son and I are planning to do this segment in June. Our plans are to leave the car in Albany and take the bikes on the train to Utica. Not famiar with either station or services.

Did you camp with your son? We did the GAP last year and had a blast, so the Erie seemed link a logical next trip. I've done Buffalo to Rochester and had a great time.

We had planned to camp last summer, but since we ended up going at the end of August when the heat indexes around here shot up to 105+ degrees, I decided to turn it into a credit-card tour instead. ( http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/mulveyerie2 ) One of the nice things about the Erie Trail, of course, is that you have option of either camping or using motels, with equal ease.

The station in Utica is literally about a block from the Parks and Trails tour route, if that's what you'll be following.

If you'd have the time, I would suggest starting in Syracuse instead of Utica. Getting through Syracuse is a major PITA on a bike, but once you get to the Erie Canal park on the east side, it's a fantastic ride up through Rome, and then down to Utica. I think that's been my favorite section of the canal, so far.
__________________
Knows the weight of my bike to the nearest 10 pounds.
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-11, 10:27 AM   #5
danacf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Albany, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is a Dunkin Donuts near the station and I also saw a Subway on the map a few blocks south of the station. There is a NYS office building next to the station so there might be another sandwich shop or two nearby, but I doubt there is much else. There is a park under the approach ramps of the Dunn Memorial Bridge (Route 20) next to the river. Not sure how long they stay into the summer, but a pair of peregrine falcons have been nesting on the bridge for the past ten years or so and the best observation point is from that park. I would recommend just riding around a little bit. If it's not around the station, on Route 20 or on Broadway, you're probably not going to find it. I never heard anyone mention any hidden gems in Rensselaer.
danacf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-11, 01:01 PM   #6
z90
Senior Member
 
z90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Path to Fredvana
Bikes: Long Haul Trucker 2010 , Felt Z90 2008, Rans Rocket 2001, Specialized Hardrock 1989
Posts: 910
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Be aware that the train station is actually in Rensselaer, and, as danacf said, pickings there are slimmer than in Albany, which is across the river. There is a little cafe right in the station, though.
z90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-11, 08:19 PM   #7
Doug64
Senior Member
 
Doug64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 3,839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I just couldn't resist--- There is a great little place about a block from this Amtrak station: Depot Fish and Chips. Unfortunately, it is at the other end of Highway 20 in Oregon It has been the starting point for many of our ventures. Have a great ride!

Doug64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-11, 08:35 PM   #8
DCwom
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DCwom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central New Jersey
Bikes: Burley Tandem
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveyr View Post
I'm afraid I can't help you with Albany, but I just have to mention that I broke out into gales of laughter, because my 10yr-old son and I just finished mere minutes ago some trip planning for our bike trip from Utica to Albany ( getting to Utica via Amtrak ) when I saw your message. :-)

We've done the Buffalo to Herkimer segment of the canal in the past year, so this will be our summer to finish up. The canal has been a wonderful ride for us.
We also did the "western end" last year, Lockport to Newark, http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/ErieCanalWest2010 and we're looking to do the eastern end.
DCwom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:37 PM.