I'm guessing there are quite a few people here who have put a big tour on the calendar months ahead of time, then experienced some sort of injury in the days/weeks prior to the tour start.
We've been planning a Northern Tier tour for several months. Within the past few weeks, I've had trouble with my knee. Went to an orthopedic doc to make sure it's not anything structural. (It's not...he says Iliotibial band syndrome.)
The question is how do you make an informed decision on whether to proceed with the tour? Or is it even possible for the decision to be informed? Play it safe and cancel/postpone the trip of a lifetime, or take the risk that you'll start the tour and have to stop?
Any experiences to share?